High Battery Temps while charging

schatzy62

Reaction score
I just upgraded from the Droid X to the Droid 4 and find the case to be very hot during charging.

My Droid X would run about 30-35 degrees C while charging, screen off and no running just sitting on my desk.

My Droid 4 runs at 50-53 degrees C while charging, screen off and no apps running just sitting on desk.

Anyone else notice this?

Benton

Reaction score
Wecome to the D4. Most of us will admit to noticing the higher battery temps the phone experiences which seems to be a common occurrence with 4G devices regardless of model when compared to 3G devices. While you mention no apps running I assume you mean you have nothing active but you are not charging the phone in charge mode only (where you just see the large battery icon when you turn the screen on). I would expect in charge mode only the battery temperature would not be excessive.

OP
S

schatzy62

Reaction score
Yes I am not charging in the "Charge Only" mode if it do that it does not heat up as much.

it just seemed a little high temp to me and i guess if it is normal that is fine just wanted to check. there is a learning curve about some of the quirks each time i get a new phone.

OP
S

schatzy62

Reaction score
The temps got so high last evening that the phone stopped charging and would not connect to Wi-Fi or 3G/4G services. I could still make calls and text but nothing else.

Come to find out there is a problem in the Docking Service software (evbridge) that causes extream use of the processor and does a great job of overheating everything.

Post #6 of this thread explains a workaround for this. evbridge - battery drain, hot phone - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.comow that i have made teh recommended changes my battery charging temps are back down to a more normal range. Still a bit higher than my Droid X but only by about 10% not the 150% they were getting to.