1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

hiding/renaming the stock messaging app?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jasonb, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jasonb

jasonb New Member

since i use handcent can i (and should i) rename to hide the stock message app?

does handcent rely on the stock messaging app to do it's thing or no?

if i rename to hide the app i guess it would clear some memory. i notice anytime i kill the app it always comes right back. if handcent can operate on it's own then there really is no reason to have the stock messaging app still always running.

has anybody tried this or know the answer?
  2. jasonb

jasonb New Member

anybody?????
  3. 640k

640k New Member

been covered. you can't just go in and start deleting apps from the ROM. just don't put the icon on your desktop. handacent is installed in the RAM space. you wouldn't notice an increase in anything by removing the messaging app.
  4. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

I've wondered this for a while, but have only got speculative answers when asking related questions.
  5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

actually you can go in and delete stock apps. i deleted a few of my other stock apps and have no bad side effects from doing so. i have already deleted car home, email, corporate calender and launcher2.

if i was to remove the stock messaging app that would free up some memory. the app is constantly running in the background, but i never use it. when i look at my running processes it is always running. not sure if it would really do much good to remove it, but it would be one less process running.

the real question is, does handcent rely at all on the stock messaging app to function? i am thinking it doesn't, but i wanted to be sure.
  6. knotbeerdan

knotbeerdan New Member

I'm in the same boat. I have gotten rid of most the apps i dont use and messaging is one i would like to get rid of but afraid of the side effects. Maybe once I get home ill make a nandroid, remove messaging then post what happens
  7. adbnist

adbnist New Member

If you rename Mms.apk to Mms.apk.bak, it will remove the default messaging client from the app tray. (/system/app/Mms.apk)

I think I did it before and ran into errors, but trying it again now it's fine. I just sent and received a txt, can't remember what issue I ran into before.

Maybe I couldn't send pictures or something. If you do rename the .apk and come across issues, let us know.
  8. thegeckoj

thegeckoj New Member

i renamed the stock to Mms.bak

i think handcent does rely on some of its features because i could receive and send texts but the conversations would never be saved. i would only have the most recent text i had sent, no others.
  9. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar New Member

Removing the stock messaging app is a bad idea. I'm certain handcent relies on it in some way or another. I think I remember someone having lots of issues with MMS messages after removing the stock app.

I think it would be better to just leave it. Use a task killer to kill the default messaging app if you are really worried about it. I saw a free one on the market that has an auto kill option that runs when you put the phone into sleep mode. You can use that to make sure unnecessary apps are not running in the background every time the phone sleeps. It also had an option to auto kill a task every so many seconds (checks at a certain interval).

To be honest, you should just manually end any unnecessary tasks, and then clear the task manager itself and then just go on with your business. I don't like the idea of a task manager doing automated work or even staying in memory because that itself takes resources.

But in my opinion you should leave the default messaging app there. Handcent still isn't perfect and sometimes it may get a little buggy, so its always good to use the default app if that situation comes up. But Handcent is still too nice to abandon just because of those occasional bugs/issues.
  10. jasonb

jasonb New Member

ok, that's the answer i was looking for. thanks i'll leave it alone. my phone is running perfectly right now so i'd rather not risk messing something up. :)
  11. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I have another question here tho... I am looking to edit the icon on the Handcent app but I can not find the APK in system/app folder... where else could it be?!
  12. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

It might be /data/app/ folder, I can't remember if I had to move mine or if it was always in /system/app/. also it's called com.handcent.nextsms.apk in case you were overlooking it
  13. icculusX

Thank you. In the terminal, do you knwo how I would push this back from the SD card to the phone? I am not very good with that kinda thing... still learning.
  14. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

I know you can but I'm not too savvy with terminal code either.

I use root explorer along with terminal emulator to do this. It's a paid app but is priceless for any rooted droid IMO. You use it just like any other file browser but it has the ability to mount read/write access to any system folder allowing you to copy and paste from the sdcard into /system/app/

Basically just locate the file on the sd card and long press>select move> navigate to /system/app/> select mount r/w from the top of the screen> hit menu> paste

Now that the folder is in /system/app/ you'll need to enter this in terminal emulator EXACTLY as you see it hitting enter after each line

su
    chmod 644 /system/app/com.handcent.nextsms.apk
    sync
    reboot
    enjoy any changes you made to handcent

btw Droidfish is not responsible if your phone blows up, yada yada
  15. icculusX

haha... word.
  16. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

I removed Mms.apk and I can no longer get MMS messages OR Video texts just an FYI... I am going to push mms.apk back to /system/app/ and see if that fixes my problems

-=Jason=-
  17. Droidfish

Droidfish New Member

Dude I went thru the exact same thing yesterday, I was wondering why handcent wasn't getting any picture messages so I unistalled it to try and figure what was causing it. I went to open the stock messaging app and it was gone, though I don't know how. So I decided to fix this issue before fixing my handcent issue. Once I tracked down the Mms.apk and pushed it to my phone both of my problems were solved. Which is weird because sms comes through just fine without the stock app.
  18. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

My problem is FIXED... you can NOT remove mms.apk with out losing photo and video text messaging

-=Jason=-
Search tags for this page
android hide original message app
handcent doesn't hide messages in stock app
hide original messaging app android

hide stock messaging app android

hide stock messaging app galaxy
hiding stock messaging app
how can you hide your stock messaging app
how to hide a messenger app
how to hide messenger app on android
how to hide stock contact photos handcent