Hiding folders / files

browndanielusn

Reaction score
Is there a way to hide folders or files (pictures)? I created a folder using astro and moved some pictures into the folder. When I open gallery it shows the folder and pictures. I would like to hide them and only view them through the astro browse menu. Thanks in advance.

allikanbe

Reaction score
Is there a way to hide folders or files (pictures)? I created a folder using astro and moved some pictures into the folder. When I open gallery it shows the folder and pictures. I would like to hide them and only view them through the astro browse menu. Thanks in advance.

Photo safe. you can click on your pics in the gallery and then "hide" them. A casual observer won't see the pics in your gallery. However, if someone clicks on Astro, there is a folder for photo safe and you, or anyone, can see the pics there. So, the pics are not really "hidden". One just needs to make a couple more clicks to see the pics.

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
Use Astro to rename the folder and start it with a "." (that's a period) and gallery won't scan it.

Or you can put a .nomedia file in the folder.

Here's how I did it using Astro file manager.

Open Astro
Find the folder you want Gallery to ignore.
Pick any file and long click it then select EDIT and COPY
Then in the toolbar up top, click EDIT and PASTE
It will ask you for a new file name
Call it "nomedia" without the period or it won't let you paste it
Once pasted, long click that file and select EDIT and RENAME
Add a "." to the beginning

Walla you are done and the folder will be ignore by Gallery.

I would think that once you create the magical .nomedia you can then copy and paste that file into other folders you want ignored.

thehulk20

Reaction score
ok. i have that. thanks for the info. i guess what i'm really getting at is if there is a way to "hide" or get rid of the folders in the gallery named "all pictures" and "all videos"?

i have folders already set up for my pictures and my videos. i dont need to have the other "all" folders in my gallery.

thehulk20

Reaction score
one other thing. when i open astro, i have folders these other folders that i never created. one is "cellebrite.vcf.hide" , "LOST.DIR", and "tmp".

are these folders necessary? if not, should i delete them?

samseh

Reaction score
I applied atomic wedgie's method and worked like a charm..

bobmundo123

Reaction score
Use Astro to rename the folder and start it with a "." (that's a period) and gallery won't scan it.

Open Astro

I would think that once you create the magical .nomedia you can then copy and paste that file into other folders you want ignored.

I don't think its working for the newer gallery.. Using DroidMod.. from DM updater

jjf

Reaction score
Thanks for the .nomedia tip. Now I don't have to see the barcodes from Handy Cards or the application graphics from Astro Player in my Gallery!

I still wish you could just tell Gallery what folders to scan, but this is good.

Arkitektbmw

Reaction score
Thanks atomic ima have to try that out tonight.

EDIT: yeah, that worked like a charm. Thanks a bunch!

Gundcow

Reaction score
Hello - I see you all have the Droid X and I have the Droid Incredible. Everyone keeps talking about this Gallery app and I don't have that on my phone. I tried to search it in the market and there are all these wacky apps with that name. Then I read online that they might have changed the name to photo silde or something, but that was getting terrible reviews. I just want to be able to put my pictures in folders and possibly hide some folders. Anyone have an app for that? I don't think picture folders should be too much to ask for...

firehousejames

Reaction score
Just started using the app "App Protector" You can set it to lock certain apps. For example I have a lot of people who like to play with my phone, because it's a droid of course. I use App Protector to lock my gallery, handcent, messaging, Astro, Camera etc. It is real easy to set up. There is also a widget that lets you toggle on and off the protection.

_eljayel

Reaction score
I applied atomic wedgie's method and worked like a charm..

I have a folder named Icons so that's where I put the file.... Then when I open the gallery, it shows then goes away very quickly D: it's in the main part of my SD card, that's the "root" directory, right?

richpsu

Reaction score
DO NOT ".nomedia" !!!

Open Astro

Performing the above caused my phone to delete all video media from my SD card. Apparently there was a change in the DROID OS sometime after this original thread and when the DROID OS sees a directory named ".nomedia," it deletes all media files in the registry. This happened on July 3, 2011

If you too have fallen victim to this glitch, I recovered 99% of my data with EASEUS recovery wizard. I demo sampled some other recovery software, but the easeus program seemed best because it recovered the entire registry as well as the original capture date of my deleted videos.

Wedgie, I'm sure your post was kosher at the time of posting, but it seems something has changed. I hope nobody else has to deal with this bug.

Best,
Rich