Hidding photos?

dmabry

Reaction score
Does anyone know how or if you can hide certain photos from the sd card, while leaving others unhidden. Or is there a good app that will do this? please help.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Are you just wanting to hide pictures so they don't show up in your gallery? There are 2 ways, both require you getting Astro file manager from the market.

The first is to mount your phone to your PC, create a folder named whatever you want and create a blank text file or something on your PC and save it in that folder on your SD card. (name the file whatever you want) Then unmount your phone, open Astro and find the folder you created. Move whatever pics you want hidden in to that folder. Then long press on the blank text file and hit edit and then rename and change the name of the blank text file to: .nomedia (make sure you include the period) The phone will no longer recognize that folder as containing any media.

The second (the route I went, mostly because I ran across it before I found the first method... but it works perfectly) is to open Astro, create a folder named whatever you want and move your pics in there. Then, within Astro, hit the hard Menu button, then More, Preferences, then Edit File Extensions. Hit New Extension at the top and type whatever you want (something unused but simple. I chose "pxs" because it kind of sounds like "pics" :p ). Under Mime Type select "image" and leave Subtype blank. Done/save. Then all you need to do is select each picture in the folder, long press on it and select Edit, then Rename and change the extension from .jpg to whatever the new extension you created is. Any incoming new pics will need to be moved to this folder and renamed with the appropriate extension. The gallery won't recognize the new extension. A bit tedious at first but I'm quite satisfied with it

Last edited:

jocko1960

Reaction score
Or create a folder using astro like .trashbin
can name it anything you like as long as you include the period. Use Astro to move the files you don't want to show in the Gallery into that folder.
Gallery won't look in that folder. To access the files inside th folder browse to it using Astro and you can access them normally.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Or create a folder using astro like .trashbin
can name it anything you like as long as you include the period. Use Astro to move the files you don't want to show in the Gallery into that folder.
Gallery won't look in that folder. To access the files inside th folder browse to it using Astro and you can access them normally.

The fact that I overlooked this incredibly more simple solution annoys me to no end... :mad:

brute48

Reaction score
I have been wondering the same thing.... how to hide photos? Well I created the folder on my sdcard. Moved the photos that I needed to put into the folder. Renamed it .nomedia. Now I have no files in my gallery. I only moved like 6 pics. I can find the rest of them with ASTRO. Why are they not showing up in my gallery?

DHood

Reaction score
oi safe, obscura

works great: oi safe is free and obscura you get a trial version which allows only encrypting (locking) 10 images.

Nidisa

Reaction score
This does not work. I followed the make a folder put .nomedia file in it, move pics into it. Rebooted phone, they are ALL still in the gallery.

Shelooga

Reaction score
just get photovaul;t from the market. its like a buck or two. the recent update made it even more sly. except the app is still called photovault. wish it was like 'duck hunt' or something random no one would veer want to open. dotn want people peeking at jess' boobies

FireDroid

Reaction score
$1 buck for photovault and it works great!!! Now she will be more eager to let me snap some more candid shots!!!