Hi! I have some interesting ideas...

OP
W
Reaction score
As a refresher, and reminder, here is some of my ideas I jotted down.

Hello!

Now I love my Droid... but I have some (cool?) ideas that maybe you will like if implemented in a future release of the Android OS so maybe we can all enjoy these features. Please tell me what you think about these ideas below:

System Usability Enhancements

I) Trash Can - Yes we know dragging a icon to the bottom to the handle, turning it red, displaying a trash can rids the area of the dragged item, but wouldn't it be cool if we had a Droid trash can? Deleted a program, song, picture, etc... on accident, or want it back quickly? It'd be cool if we had a trash basket we could go in, clean out, or restore items.

II) Non-continuous Screen Lock Patterns - Ever wanted to make a design pattern for your screen lock that has a minimum of 4 dots, but didn't have to be continuous? I think this will also increase security measures.

III) Delete Gallery Folder - Ever wanted to just wipe out a full folder of pictures, instead of individually? I think this would be a cool feature. I know it can be done alternatively through other apps, but it would be nice to have the feature ready from the native system.

GUI Enhancements

I) Up, and Down screens... - Now on your droid, you can scroll left, and right which unveils new screens for usage. I was thinking, wouldn't it be cool if we also were able to scroll up and down @ our home screen? It would be a different take on the phone experience (I have yet to see a phone do this, maybe I shouldn't put this idea out there? lol) and will also enable larger wallpaper selections.

II) What Time Is It? Wallpapers - Would you like it if (of course with 2.1) there were certain wallpapers that changed according to the time of day? What about in real time? Could you imagine having a wallpaper of a farm, that gets darker and darker as the hours go by? Of course these wallpapers will be synced with your system clock. Or is this already an option in 2.1?

III) Landscape Anywhere - I think an option for turning your home screen into Landscape mode without needing the keyboard open would be cool. More coolness than usability, but the fit or holding it that way sometimes is just very comfortable. It would be nice to see your wallpapers in landscape anytime also.

User Experience Enhancements

I) Welcome Home - How about after launching up your Droid, and unlocking it, you have the option to have a song play at your home screen? This doesn't technically benefit the user, but boy, wouldn't that be awesome for some users? The users who love music, I think will enjoy this feature. A nice welcome. Of course options to turn this off will be of quick access. Also, songs wouldn't have to be only used, you can use any sound, regardless of length to welcome you to your phone.

Application Cooperation Enhancements

I) Copy Google Translation - Ever want to copy a translation from the Google Translator app and paste it in a text message to send to a loved one, or just sound cool? I think the option of copying the text from the translator would be cool, and usable.

P.S. If any of these are available via the native system, please let me know. If you don't like some of these ideas? Please be vocal about it, and maybe offer a suggestion, or a supporting reason for your disapproval? I won't get angry if you disagree, we are all humans... well sorta... :icon_ devil:

Last but not least, I want to hear you alls ideas!

frbooker87

Reaction score
Wow what a great thread I loved it very entertaining. I don't know much about native apps and how much of a footprint it is but I think he has some very good starting points as far as ideas to make the phone more user friendly right out the box. I understand both sides as I wouldn't want my phone slowed down for something I didn't want on the phone in the 1st place (however when 2.1 comes out that'll be the case with live wallpapers so you guys will have to suck it up). But I also understand most people aren't tech saavy and want a great experience right out the box. And that's basically a ploy to become more of a mainstream product like iphone which android will need to do and is doing to gain more market share.

Also I think the op was more irritated with the WAY matthew (sorry I can't remember the exact spelling) disagreed with his ideas. He did kind of come off as an a** but I would say to the op its the internet don't let things get to you. You have to have thick skin wherever you are there's no reason to get worked up over a forum. People are blunt online but if you give direct responses expect to receive them back.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
:icon_eek:

Now Matthew... I totally get you... your a young man... active in the Army (very cool, kudos), a very active contributing member on the site (938 posts... joined Jan, 9th, 010...) written a helpful guide (kudos), all round contributing "straight-foward" member. Thing is, I'm not sure if anyone here actually stood against your sour ways, either 'cus a) they don't care that much, or b) you haven't displayed it much. With all the nice credentials I listed, I would assume you have a little "online ego"... thing is... I may just be time enough for your sourness. You know how the football team jock, gets staged by the new kid? Its that typical Disney situation going on here, its just its been facaded by a device suggestive situation. You just have to be more tasteful, classy, and tactful with your disagreements, or disapprovals. But don't worry, you can go chill with the other teammates, I won't try and correct you...

Mathew got *Cough* Owned. lmao...

Oooh and I know that didn't help much... :heart:

WTF are you talking about????????? We're not in a high school football team or a Disney movie!!! :icon_eek: GD....give it a rest.....take criticism like a man and shut up about it already....this thread should be closed because its full of worthless nonsense....it maybe could've been useful to someone that might've liked your ideas (notice I stressed maybe and might've) but you've dragged something so stupid out for so long that it's just a waste of space....

xjman349

Reaction score
In the end it really doesn't matter what you think, because no one is going to implement this based on your thread. Sorry

These types of comments make me reluctant to recommend this site to any customer I come in contact with. This site is about ideas, answers, and having fun. If this is the kind of response I can expect to see, consider me gone and I will no longer be recommending the numerous people I talk to every day about this site. Your negativity is completely unnecessary.

vearix

Reaction score
I) Welcome Home - How about after launching up your Droid, and unlocking it, you have the option to have a song play at your home screen? This doesn't technically benefit the user, but boy, wouldn't that be awesome for some users? The users who love music, I think will enjoy this feature. A nice welcome. Of course options to turn this off will be of quick access. Also, songs wouldn't have to be only used, you can use any sound, regardless of length to welcome you to your phone.

This sounds like it would make a good app, but not something that comes native. Reminds me a bit of myspace where music just starts playing when you go on someones page.

I) Trash Can - Yes we know dragging a icon to the bottom to the handle, turning it red, displaying a trash can rids the area of the dragged item, but wouldn't it be cool if we had a Droid trash can? Deleted a program, song, picture, etc... on accident, or want it back quickly? It'd be cool if we had a trash basket we could go in, clean out, or restore items.

This wouldn't make things much faster imo. It takes 2 clicks to get any app onto the screen, and around 3 for a widget. The trashcan would take atleast 2 so I don't see much time saving there.

One feature I really wish they had is an 'icon swap'. If you move an icon ontop of another one, the two switch places.

I think apps would be better for most of those suggestions.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Before this gets shut down, so there is not any confusion, you CAN delete folders containing pictures, without having to delete the pics individually. At least, you can with the 2.1 Gallery. Just long press on a folder, and choose Delete. Easy as that.

*looks around*
*hears the emergency lockdown alarm blaring through the corridors*
in-before-the-lock.gif

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
In the end it really doesn't matter what you think, because no one is going to implement this based on your thread. Sorry

These types of comments make me reluctant to recommend this site to any customer I come in contact with. This site is about ideas, answers, and having fun. If this is the kind of response I can expect to see, consider me gone and I will no longer be recommending the numerous people I talk to every day about this site. Your negativity is completely unnecessary.

well they were BOTH dragging it on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.................................................

OP
W
Reaction score
Before this gets shut down, so there is not any confusion, you CAN delete folders containing pictures, without having to delete the pics individually. At least, you can with the 2.1 Gallery. Just long press on a folder, and choose Delete. Easy as that.

*looks around*
*hears the emergency lockdown alarm blaring through the corridors*
in-before-the-lock.gif

Very well! I installed BB last night to see that. Thats amazing for I didn't know about that feature. Someone was thinking like I was and other people that want the native system to push the boundaries.

OP
W
Reaction score
Wow what a great thread I loved it very entertaining. I don't know much about native apps and how much of a footprint it is but I think he has some very good starting points as far as ideas to make the phone more user friendly right out the box. I understand both sides as I wouldn't want my phone slowed down for something I didn't want on the phone in the 1st place (however when 2.1 comes out that'll be the case with live wallpapers so you guys will have to suck it up). But I also understand most people aren't tech saavy and want a great experience right out the box. And that's basically a ploy to become more of a mainstream product like iphone which android will need to do and is doing to gain more market share.

Also I think the op was more irritated with the WAY matthew (sorry I can't remember the exact spelling) disagreed with his ideas. He did kind of come off as an a** but I would say to the op its the internet don't let things get to you. You have to have thick skin wherever you are there's no reason to get worked up over a forum. People are blunt online but if you give direct responses expect to receive them back.

Yeah I agree with you. I want the native system to push the boundaries, while at the same time utilizing speed, space, etc... But I say even if the native system is pushing boundaries enough and the current hardware will be pushed to birth a second Motorola Droid, etc... to improve and be able to handle the OS. Ya know?

I agree with you, I do have thick skin, but I just feel sometimes like making the world a better place with more warm-hearted, kind, people. Sometimes I try to fix just one person and then I stop lol. Its back to tough-skin and ignoring now tho. I just had to stamp that I ain't no happy go lucky push over, but now I don't have to prove it anymore. I'm a sweet happy go lucky guy though. I like peace! Peace and pancakes. :heart:

M

Matth3w

Oh give me a break. Everything I said was in response to the stubbornness of the OP. As for the first comment I made, sometimes people misspell their usernames, so I was just letting him know.

As for the rest, perhaps I didn't come across the best. But one of my biggest pet peeves is when people try to shove things down my throat. Not just for phones, but for politics and you name it (without turning this into a political discussion).

Go back and read my 900+ posts, and you can see 99.99% of them are me genuinely trying to help people out or trying to get help myself. Anyone here knows that I am not an asshole to people at all.

I'm not patting myself on the back, but if I was such an asshole, why would I take several hours to make guides just to help people? I could have easily done it myself and never answer any questions about it. I spent like 5 hours the other afternoon just making a temperature chart so people could know what temps to expect when overclocking their phone.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone, the OP included. But really I think we are going to be at an impasse, because most people bought the Droid for it's customization, and the OP seems to insist on it coming pre-installed instead of getting it from the Market.

Anyhow, I don't want to argue with anyone on this site, even the OP. I just want to continue to try to help as much as possible and exist on here with everyone in harmony. This is a good site, with good information, and a generally friendly atmosphere. That being said, there are bound to be occasional disagreements.