Hi From NEFL

FernBch

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!! :icon_ peace:

Recieved my DX last week and am getting use to it pretty quick. dancedroid

I now have a few questions and was hoping that you could point me to the right threads or answers I seek.

First off, Rooting and deodex. If I understand things correctly, I need to do this before I can make any changes/mods. I did read here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940986

It sounds pretty straight-foward and I'm not shy when it comes to doing this.

Second, start-up/running apps/battery life. I hear some people wishing for better battery life and others saying it's ok. I also read somewhere about disabling apps with a start-up mgr to improve battery life. Like a dummy I didn't bookmark the thread and can't find the info again. I'm curious about how to do this. Which apps can I safely disable without causing problems or making a brick. I really would like to get rid of CityID, amazon MP3, Blockbuster, and maybe a few others. There are many apps listed in the "running" section under manage apps, are all of these necessary? I read a thread here, I believe, that talked about all of this, but I never bookmarked it and now can't find it.:frown:

Third, App Killers/Pgm Mgr's. Are they required/helpful? If so, any suggestions for a good one? I read about them in the post mentioned in Q2 and am curious. I'm not positive, but the thread I didn't bookmark may be elsewhere.

And Fourth. I hear the words Gingerbread and Froyo. Are they stock ROM's? If they are, how do I know which one I have?

Thanks in Advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Mike

FWIW, I'm come from a Win6.x smartphone (HTC Ozone). It didn't take long for me to flash a custom 3vo ROM to it and mod it the way I wanted

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!! :icon_ peace:

Recieved my DX last week and am getting use to it pretty quick. dancedroid

I now have a few questions and was hoping that you could point me to the right threads or answers I seek.

First off, Rooting and deodex. If I understand things correctly, I need to do this before I can make any changes/mods. I did read here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=940986

It sounds pretty straight-foward and I'm not shy when it comes to doing this.

Second, start-up/running apps/battery life. I hear some people wishing for better battery life and others saying it's ok. I also read somewhere about disabling apps with a start-up mgr to improve battery life. Like a dummy I didn't bookmark the thread and can't find the info again. I'm curious about how to do this. Which apps can I safely disable without causing problems or making a brick. I really would like to get rid of CityID, amazon MP3, Blockbuster, and maybe a few others. There are many apps listed in the "running" section under manage apps, are all of these necessary? I read a thread here, I believe, that talked about all of this, but I never bookmarked it and now can't find it.:frown:

Third, App Killers/Pgm Mgr's. Are they required/helpful? If so, any suggestions for a good one? I read about them in the post mentioned in Q2 and am curious. I'm not positive, but the thread I didn't bookmark may be elsewhere.

And Fourth. I hear the words Gingerbread and Froyo. Are they stock ROM's? If they are, how do I know which one I have?

Thanks in Advance for any and all help and suggestions.

Mike

FWIW, I'm come from a Win6.x smartphone (HTC Ozone). It didn't take long for me to flash a custom 3vo ROM to it and mod it the way I wanted

rooting is easy on the x go here [APP] z4root - xda-developers download z4root place on the sd card not in any folders use file manager to install open app select perm root let it do its thing once its rooted go into the market and grab dx bootstrapper by koush then head on over to the dx section and peek around and ask questions if need be and welcome to the forums

OP
FernBch

FernBch

Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!! I have installed and ran Z4Root and it rebooted. Where to go next? How do I tell if it's rooted? Any good file mgr's? Or should I look for a superuser pgm first? I wanted to start by disabling some apps that load at startup (CityID, Amazon mp3, blockbuster, etc)

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!! I have installed and ran Z4Root and it rebooted. Where to go next? How do I tell if it's rooted? Any good file mgr's? Or should I look for a superuser pgm first? I wanted to start by disabling some apps that load at startup (CityID, Amazon mp3, blockbuster, etc)

there should be a super user icon in the apps
theres also a app in the market called root test i believe that can well test root

i use root explorer to delete unwanted apps

from system/app make a backup before hand with the dxbootstrapper just in case a boo boo happens