Hi everyone - upgraded when rooted on pro - need help!

Goddessmiamia

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I am new to the forum (posting wise) and was hoping I could get some assistance in resetting my phone back to square one.

I've already done a factory reset, but I tried upgrading when I was rooted and I removed CityID when rooted which I think is causing the failure on the upgrade. The only problem with this is that I didn't realize that when I did a factory reset, it would remove Titanium Backup which saved my backup with CityID on it.

Not sure if CityID is the problem or if there is a way that I can reinstall a completely new version of the software from scratch or how I would address this so I can upgrade to the latest version for Droid Pro.

Any suggestions or help would be great! I am new to the terminology so please dumb it down as best you can.

Thanks in advance!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Welcome to Droid Forums.

If City ID is a system app then it is likely the reason the update fails. Did you make a back up of City ID before you deleted it? If so you should be able to download Titanium again and restore it. Unless of course you also wiped your SD which is where Titanium backs it up to.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forum!!

I was going to suggest you possibly post over in the Droid Pro sub-forum, but it looks like you have...hopefully you are able to resolved your issue!

OP
G

Goddessmiamia

Reaction score
Welcome to Droid Forums.

If City ID is a system app then it is likely the reason the update fails. Did you make a back up of City ID before you deleted it? If so you should be able to download Titanium again and restore it. Unless of course you also wiped your SD which is where Titanium backs it up to.

I downloaded Titanium Backup again but it says I need root to run it. I didn't clear my SD card so if CityID was part of the original backup (which it may or may not be) then it would be on the SD Card.

How to restore using the SD Card? Is that possible?

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
How did you do the factory reset? If it was from the settings menu or from recovery it should not remove your root. If you did an SBF it will remove root.

OP
G

Goddessmiamia

Reaction score
How did you do the factory reset? If it was from the settings menu or from recovery it should not remove your root. If you did an SBF it will remove root.

Hi JSM, I unrooted the phone after I tried to upgrade and it failed because I didn't realize that the root would cause an issue. And I did a factory reset from the settings menu because I don't know how to SBF which I was hoping would fix the problem and bring back CityID. Perhaps I was wrong??

Would you recommend rerooting, trying to run titanium backup to restore all files from the SD then unrooting the phone and trying to upgrade?

Thanks!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Unfortunately doing a factory reset does in fact not put you back to stock. It just erases any apps you downloaded, settings, or accounts you have on the phone. In some instances it will wipe your SD as well.

You could try to reroot, run titanium, and then try to upgrade but I am not sure how it will go. The best bet will be to sbf and then try. I can help you later if you need but there are many detailed guides including videos if you decide to go that route. I'm pretty sure the newest update for the pro blocks root though so you have that to consider as well.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_G-Nex

OP
G

Goddessmiamia

Reaction score
Unfortunately doing a factory reset does in fact not put you back to stock. It just erases any apps you downloaded, settings, or accounts you have on the phone. In some instances it will wipe your SD as well.

You could try to reroot, run titanium, and then try to upgrade but I am not sure how it will go. The best bet will be to sbf and then try. I can help you later if you need but there are many detailed guides including videos if you decide to go that route. I'm pretty sure the newest update for the pro blocks root though so you have that to consider as well.

Sent From the Land Before Time...
Tapatalk 2_G-Nex

I need your help with the sbf, I can't find anyway to do it that hasn't been "blocked" from security sites or whatever. Even with rerooting the phone it still didn't allow me to run titanium....

If you want to email me directly, please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks so much!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
You need help finding a guide or the files to do it? I know there are threads in the Droid Pro section, have you looked at them at all? Just trying to get an idea where you are and what you have done so far.

OP
G

Goddessmiamia

Reaction score
You need help finding a guide or the files to do it? I know there are threads in the Droid Pro section, have you looked at them at all? Just trying to get an idea where you are and what you have done so far.

Yeah - I have dug around in all the newer threads for the links and guides and even signed up on a website that provides it but it was taken down. So I haven't been able to find a working link or directions on how to do it.

Any assistance you can provide or links that are active would be great.
Thanks again!

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sorry for the long delays between responses. You seem to post early in the morning when I am already on my way to work and I work long days unfortunately.

Anyway, I can link you to a guide on how to do it but I can't help you with the actual file. I could try but will most likely run into the same dead ends you have. I myself do not have, now have I ever had, a droid pro. The best way to get it may be to bump the thread you created in that section and ask for someone who has it to upload or share it in some way.