Hey, wait a minute

timrock

Reaction score
I had this phone since launch. Recently, my screen cracked so i just got my replacement today (new phone, not a refurb) and im noticing some strange things.

1 - The google search widget cant be removed from the home screen?
2 - ADW will not stay as my default launcher. Everytime i press the home button, i get the default screen. And when i go to apps, ADW is running. and Clear Deafaults is not an option
3 - Where is my menu key?
157no14.png

has it always been like this?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
1. The Google search widget can't be removed on stock ROM, at least I haven't found a way or heard of one.
2. Check your settings
3. that circle with the 6 dots in it is the app drawer key, not really sure what you mean by menu key.

Yes it's always been like that.

OP
timrock

timrock

Reaction score
1. The Google search widget can't be removed on stock ROM, at least I haven't found a way or heard of one.
2. Check your settings
3. that circle with the 6 dots in it is the app drawer key, not really sure what you mean by menu key.

Yes it's always been like that.
1 - ok thanks. i just didnt remember
2 - what am i looking for in settings
3 - i meant the menu button to access my settings.

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
3 - i meant the menu button to access my settings.

You sure you had a Nexus before? Lol. There is no "menu button". You can access settings by pulling down the notification bar and clicking the settings icon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
timrock

timrock

Reaction score
You sure you had a Nexus before? Lol. There is no "menu button". You can access settings by pulling down the notification bar and clicking the settings icon.

lol, yeah im sure. i just dont remember how it was the day i go it. I think i just immediately installed ADW and didnt bother to look at the default screen. But now that ADW wont stay as my default, i guess im just discovering these things now.

GeLopez

Reaction score
all good answers and i would add that the in-app settings will come up as 3 little dots

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
To disable the Google search bar go to Settings>Applications> All Applications, then scroll down to Google Search and disable the app by selecting it and pressing disable.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
To disable the Google search bar go to Settings>Applications> All Applications, then scroll down to Google Search and disable the app by selecting it and pressing disable.

I didn't even know that, I've grown used to it though and it never got in my way. Not seeing it there would seem like too much space to me :D

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It bothers some people but you can't use the screen space as another row for apps.

OP
timrock

timrock

Reaction score

thanks for this.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I didn't even know that, I've grown used to it though and it never got in my way. Not seeing it there would seem like too much space to me :D

Yep, I like how the Google search bar takes up some of that dead space!

captdroid

Reaction score
Yea I prefer Nova Launcher which has the option to truly turn off and utilize the space where the Google Search thingy is on the default launcher :biggrin:

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

+1 to this...

~it's not just a phone~

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Yea I prefer Nova Launcher which has the option to truly turn off and utilize the space where the Google Search thingy is on the default launcher :biggrin:

Nova has several wonderful aspects (I wasn't a fan at first LOL)... It is definitely an improvement over stock and is one of the better launchers for the nexus imo...

~it's not just a phone~

captdroid

Reaction score
Nova has several wonderful aspects (I wasn't a fan at first LOL)... It is definitely an improvement over stock and is one of the better launchers for the nexus imo...

~it's not just a phone~

I agree in particular since I have been running Nova Launcher and really like it :biggrin: I read there is another one called Apex Launcher that might be good that is like stock?