Hey, help a noon- moved to bugless section

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by TaliWacker, Aug 5, 2010.

1. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

Hey guys!! This is the first "smart" phone I have every owned. Im into overclocking and hacking things, psp, xbox, etc. Im very interested in using bugless beast rom, but have 0 clue on how to install it. Can someone point me in the rite direction. thanks guys. dancedroid
  2. dmacleo

dmacleo Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

going to move to bugless section where there is a lot of info for you there.
  3. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

First use "easy root" from the market. From there search for ROM's on this site and use the instructions on the Bugless Beast rom thread to install
  4. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

Thank you!
  5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

6. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

Thanks, I will try out the steps in your link when I get home. I wont lose service when I load on custom roms, correct?
  7. jmeden

jmeden New Member

I can actually answer that question. I'm pretty new to rooting and all, but you definitely won't lose service with a custom rom. It seems most things work the same as before you install it.
  8. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

when you say most, what is excluded? Theres more pros thn cons to installn custom roms correct? what are some of the benfits to custom roms? sorry for all the questions, my brain is in sponge mode rite now!!

can you root droid 2.2?
  9. bishop

bishop New Member

Well as far as the pros and cons that is really a ROM by ROM basis. I have had the DROID since it came out and rooted it first day their was an exploit to do so. Since then i have had just about every leaked release. I have not installed any baked ROMs yet though.

Each dev does different things with their ROMs. They all have tweaks they like to apply or use different kernels, some are built from source others are more or less tweaked official releases. Best thing to do is read the forums to find one that sounds good to you.

The real beauty of this is that if you dont like one it is so easy to switch to another so keep playing with them. It is actually very hard to totally brick your phone so dont be scared. The worst thing i have done so far, other then some near heart attacks because i didnt know better, is i have had to wipe the system and data caches between some releases. What that does is nukes all your settings so you need to go through the whole setup and activation again for everything on your phone. Again dont be scared. If i do that, right away i jump on a wifi network so when my apps contacts ect can download faster and not blow up my data usage.

Best advice i have for you is, BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP before you do anything. Make sure your contacts have been synced recently and always backup before you make a change. If you ever find yourself in a boot loop pull the battery, boot to the recovery console (from an off state press and hold the power button and x). From there you can restore one of your backups or wiping the system and data cache will normally get you out of the boot loop.

If you have questions people here are very friendly and willing to help, just dont ask questions that have been answered a million times. Do a search first.

Personally i am waiting for Pete to drop BB v.5 to try as my first real ROM.
  10. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

o ok. when you say go through activation again, you mean you had to call your service provider and activate your phone again?
  11. bishop

bishop New Member

Nope. If i remember correctly it will prompt you to do everything. If not you hit *228, then option 1 for activation. That is also the number you can use to update roaming with option 2 which SOMETIMES will help with your signal, not usually though. The real pain is logging into your gmail account and any other accounts you need to setup. I have seen plenty of people complain after they install a new ROM where they had to wipe the chach's say that their phone was slow. Of course it is slow for 20 minutes or so while it more or less restores your apps to your phone. You can also use Titanium Backup to do backups and restores once you are rooted. I haven't used it but people say it is great. Pete has a tool on his website that sounds awesome for that purpose. It is a backup tool that will backup the important DBs to your SD card. When .5 drops it is supposed to look for those automatically and restore them so you dont need to redo all your settings :)
  12. mwhartman

When you wipe and flash a new rom you will need to sign into you Google account. That will get you on track. If you have any issues the *288 option is available as well as this forum.

We'll be here to get you though any issue. Just take your time. Do a thorough read of the steps. If you are not sure or unclear post your concern.

Mike
  13. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

you guys are awsome, thanks
  14. huskur

huskur Well-Known Member

I rooted using SBF and i had no issues at all but i have to say that if you are new and don't want to go through sbf (no choice before) then use "easy root" from the market. SBF is old school. YES, i agree you should know how to use SBF to root and also to unroot but the fact remains that "easy root" does the exact same thing as SBF.
  15. mwhartman

Hey Husker! First, glad Nebraska joined the Big Ten. Just don't beat up on PSU too bad :)

I suggested SBF over tools like Easy Root and the new release of DroidMod because my feeling is that if one is going to change (root) their phone then they need to understand the process and not rely on some tool that changes their phone. I like to know what is or is not going on my phone so that if problems arise I am able to resolve. I'm very apprehensive of using a tool that I have no idea of what exactly is being modified on my phone.

When I rooted, the Droidmod had a tool but I chose the hands on approach and used a tutorial developed by Matth3W. It was a very detailed tutorial with close to 60 steps. I learned quite a bit from that tutorial and still use portions of it today.

I realize that many members do no want to take the time to educate themselves and, therefore, use the tools. Nothing wrong with that approach.

Mike
  16. myDownfall

myDownfall New Member

I'lll just tell myself that this was a joke. The Huskers don't have anything on us. :biggrin:

Can you imagine what the forums would look like if they did take the time to educate themselves, even if it were for a few minutes? It's got to be difficult having to answer the same questions over and over again. Oh well, I did Matth3w's guide as well back in January and can recall how many times I read over EVERY step just to confirm I was doing it right. lol
  17. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

I dl rsd did the driver thing, then attached phone to comp, held up button, loaded spr onto it. the phone said rebooting. It never acually booted. now its just stuck at the motorola symbol :( . I loaded on a backup from this site and tried again twice with the same results. help?
  18. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Never fear, there is always a solution. Need a little more info. Explain in detail the steps you have taken up until this point. Which guide did you follow? Have you tried holding x and the power button to boot into recovery?
  19. TaliWacker

TaliWacker New Member

i figured it out. I was tryn to install it over firmware 2.0.1 ;)
  20. NewDroidOrder

NewDroidOrder New Member

Hey there TaliWacker I'm glad to see that you are going to get into this custom ROM scene. One word of advice I have for you is that you should head over to Droid Life, there you will find a lot of videos (which for me really REALLY helped when getting into this in the very beginning which was a very long time ago now) showing you how to do all these things, what to look for, and all that. Also because this has been going on for a long time there is already a ton of help out there. On Droid Life its really simple so that any newcomer like yourself can just jump right in and do it because there are step by step instructions on how to do anything, there wont be a time where it will just say to do something without you knowing what that thing is. And when you have any problems or questions, this is definitely the place to come for help. These forums here are pretty much the most active and helpful that I have seen yet, really great stuff here.

Welcome to the "Rooted Community"! dancedroid