Hey, Google! Why No Multitouch for the Droid?

iPirate

Reaction score
I guess we're to assume that the little Droid Eris, with its 528 MHz processor, couldn't possibly handle multitouch or the 2.1 upgrade. Except I think that's probably horse dooky.
:icon_rolleyes:

Only Nexus One customers are getting new multitouch features, all you Droid customers are just out of luck.

Oddly enough, Nexus One (and Motorola Droid) users outside of the U.S.have always been able to make use of these multitouch features by default.
From: Nexus One Gets Official Multitouch Support (Updated)

I am amazed these people have jobs. Android didn't have multitouch for a while, maybe because it used to be friends with Apple? Legal reasons? Who knows. But 2.1 N1 multitouch now so I'm sure once Droid gets 2.1, it will have multitouch as well.

:work1:

OP
J

jim_stem

Reaction score
I guess we're to assume that the little Droid Eris, with its 528 MHz processor, couldn't possibly handle multitouch or the 2.1 upgrade. Except I think that's probably horse dooky.

Only Nexus One customers are getting new multitouch features, all you Droid customers are just out of luck.

Oddly enough, Nexus One (and Motorola Droid) users outside of the U.S.have always been able to make use of these multitouch features by default.

I am amazed these people have jobs. Android didn't have multitouch for a while, maybe because it used to be friends with Apple? Legal reasons? Who knows. But 2.1 N1 multitouch now so I'm sure once Droid gets 2.1, it will have multitouch as well.

Id like to know how youre so "sure". Everything reguarding updates has been the subject speculation and rumor from Jump Street. Im not saying if I believe droid will get multitouch or not. I already have it so could really care less. But as these articles point out, the Android community is sooo fragmented at this point, I dont know what to think.

griz8791

Reaction score
I understand we will ultimately get multi-touch when they get around to rolling out 2.1. Meanwhile, not having it is not exactly making my life unliveable.

I migrated from a series of Motorola Qs. Those didn't have multi-touch. I've installed the Dolphin browser on my Droid. It has pinch zoom. Once in a while I even find myself using the pinch zoom. Outside of browsing, I have found exactly zero situations in my daily use of the phone where I wish I had multi-touch.

So tell me why I want/need multi-touch, separate and apart from being able to say it's there and that I could use it if I wanted to.

A very large part of the impatience about 2.1 is beginning to seem like a d!ck-measuring contest with the iPhone people.

crspang

Reaction score
I got sick of waiting on 2.1 so I rooted and went to Bugless 7.2 and I just went to 7.4. I don't feel like I'm missing anything now!

mjs31

Reaction score
I have it on my browsers, gallery and maps. Not really hard to get.

Cole119

Reaction score
If we don't get the same updates as the nexus one, then I will never buy another Google branded product again.

iPirate

Reaction score

Id like to know how youre so "sure". Everything reguarding updates has been the subject speculation and rumor from Jump Street. Im not saying if I believe droid will get multitouch or not. I already have it so could really care less. But as these articles point out, the Android community is sooo fragmented at this point, I dont know what to think.
Because Motorola wants to sell phones and if an extra feature is available they will take advantage of it.

Look at the source of these two articles, these writers are clearly bias. There will be thousands of articles bashing Android or phones with Android etc because most of these people use iPhones.

OP
J

jim_stem

Reaction score
I understand we will ultimately get multi-touch when they get around to rolling out 2.1. Meanwhile, not having it is not exactly making my life unliveable.

I migrated from a series of Motorola Qs. Those didn't have multi-touch. I've installed the Dolphin browser on my Droid. It has pinch zoom. Once in a while I even find myself using the pinch zoom. Outside of browsing, I have found exactly zero situations in my daily use of the phone where I wish I had multi-touch.

So tell me why I want/need multi-touch, separate and apart from being able to say it's there and that I could use it if I wanted to.

A very large part of the impatience about 2.1 is beginning to seem like a d!ck-measuring contest with the iPhone people.

No one NEEDS multitouch. In fact I would venture to say no one NEEDS a $500 smart phone to begin with. It comes down to a matter of preference. I PREFER to pinch zoom in and out of on certain applications. For me it has ZERO to do with apple or keeping up with the Jonses. It has more to do with functionality. I say again, I rooted and installed BB7.4 so Im all set and with no complaints.

deputc26

Reaction score
This is just some writer who wants android to fail casting a negative light on something that's really not a big deal, droid and everyone else +dog will get MT eventually.

Cowpoke

Reaction score
BTW over n the Aps section they just linked a new galery apk that has multitouch, and to me seems a bit smoother than the older 2.1 gallery apk. No rooting needed, just install like you did the other 2.1 gal.

OP
J

jim_stem

Reaction score

Because Motorola wants to sell phones and if an extra feature is available they will take advantage of it.

Look at the source of these two articles, these writers are clearly bias. There will be thousands of articles bashing Android or phones with Android etc because most of these people use iPhones.

I dont see how pointing out the clear and obvious short comings in the Android community makes someone bias or an Apple fanboy, but hey, I guess we just interrupt these differently.

Rettocs

Reaction score
Oh look it's this thread again!

The topic of multitouch has been discussed to death, but one thing I would like to comment on is that I too think that Android might be getting fragmented. Phones stuck on 1.6, others sitting at 2.0.1, then lastly one phone at 2.1. I know the Droid will be getting 2.1, but what happens when the droid is a little older? Will we be like those phones that are stuck at 1.6? We could be stuck at 2.8 and new phones are coming out with 3.0. If not done properly, it could be as big a mess as Windows Mobile. I doubt it because I have faith in Google, but this is my concern.

OP
J

jim_stem

Reaction score
Oh look it's this thread again!

The topic of multitouch has been discussed to death, but one thing I would like to comment on is that I too think that Android might be getting fragmented. Phones stuck on 1.6, others sitting at 2.0.1, then lastly one phone at 2.1. I know the Droid will be getting 2.1, but what happens when the droid is a little older? Will we be like those phones that are stuck at 1.6? We could be stuck at 2.8 and new phones are coming out with 3.0. If not done properly, it could be as big a mess as Windows Mobile. I doubt it because I have faith in Google, but this is my concern.

Yeaaa this

+1