Hey, Google! Why No Multitouch for the Droid?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by jim_stem, Feb 4, 2010.

1. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_rolleyes:

From: Nexus One Gets Official Multitouch Support (Updated)

I am amazed these people have jobs. Android didn't have multitouch for a while, maybe because it used to be friends with Apple? Legal reasons? Who knows. But 2.1 N1 multitouch now so I'm sure once Droid gets 2.1, it will have multitouch as well.

:work1:

3. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Id like to know how youre so "sure". Everything reguarding updates has been the subject speculation and rumor from Jump Street. Im not saying if I believe droid will get multitouch or not. I already have it so could really care less. But as these articles point out, the Android community is sooo fragmented at this point, I dont know what to think.

4. griz8791

griz8791 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand we will ultimately get multi-touch when they get around to rolling out 2.1. Meanwhile, not having it is not exactly making my life unliveable.

I migrated from a series of Motorola Qs. Those didn't have multi-touch. I've installed the Dolphin browser on my Droid. It has pinch zoom. Once in a while I even find myself using the pinch zoom. Outside of browsing, I have found exactly zero situations in my daily use of the phone where I wish I had multi-touch.

So tell me why I want/need multi-touch, separate and apart from being able to say it's there and that I could use it if I wanted to.

A very large part of the impatience about 2.1 is beginning to seem like a d!ck-measuring contest with the iPhone people.

5. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got sick of waiting on 2.1 so I rooted and went to Bugless 7.2 and I just went to 7.4. I don't feel like I'm missing anything now!

6. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have it on my browsers, gallery and maps. Not really hard to get.

7. Cole119

Cole119 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If we don't get the same updates as the nexus one, then I will never buy another Google branded product again.

8. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Because Motorola wants to sell phones and if an extra feature is available they will take advantage of it.

Look at the source of these two articles, these writers are clearly bias. There will be thousands of articles bashing Android or phones with Android etc because most of these people use iPhones.

9. jim_stem

jim_stem Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one NEEDS multitouch. In fact I would venture to say no one NEEDS a $500 smart phone to begin with. It comes down to a matter of preference. I PREFER to pinch zoom in and out of on certain applications. For me it has ZERO to do with apple or keeping up with the Jonses. It has more to do with functionality. I say again, I rooted and installed BB7.4 so Im all set and with no complaints.

10. deputc26

deputc26 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is just some writer who wants android to fail casting a negative light on something that's really not a big deal, droid and everyone else +dog will get MT eventually.

11. Cowpoke

Cowpoke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    BTW over n the Aps section they just linked a new galery apk that has multitouch, and to me seems a bit smoother than the older 2.1 gallery apk. No rooting needed, just install like you did the other 2.1 gal.

12. gruve

gruve Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My life hasn't been complete without multitouch! Giggity