Hey everybody!!

pdubbs

Reaction score
I saw this app on the market downloaded it was reading up on some rooting stuff. Its all very confusing lol. That is the main reason i am here, to root my phone, make it faster all that cool stuff.

I love what yuo can do with rooted/jb products, like my ipod i jb'd it and loved it a million times more :) With the droids already customizable nature i cant wait to see what i can do with my phone.

I have a Droid X. Ive read up on what rooting means. Ive see OTA several times and im not too sure what that means tho also Gingerbread. I would assume that all roms on here are safe, as long as you follow directions.

If anyone could maybe recommend a good rom/root method i would appreciate it. Rooting, actually gives you the ability to install the rom correct? The rom could be on a simple level compared to a "theme" right? My understanding is that the root actually gives you the most absolute access to every feature on your phone and that the ROM easily allows you to take advantage of that access. correct me if im wrong. i love to use my phone as a media player and have around 10-12gb of music on it. I will also be rooting my mom's phone cuz she complains it dies to quickly on her, she has the same phone as i do.

if you need any extra info from me just let me know. thanks in advanced for the help and for letting me be apart of the community.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome. First off, are you on Android 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 Gingerbread? OTA stands for the over the air update to Gingerbread.

Unfortunately, if you have installed the OTA update, you will have to SBF back to Froyo, root, then download and install the rooted .596 files.

Let me know if you need more help. I can provide links for you that will help.

CM74DX

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome pdubbs!

As I'm not an X'er I'll let others respond with the best methods for rooting.

Rooting is gaining superuser access to the phone (like root user in linux OS if you will). ROMs are the android os, built from an OTA (over the air download) or AOSP (Android Open Source Project). System apps are removed/changed and bloat removed. Themes can be separate or they can be built in, so it looks as if the phone is of stock look.

Good luck with your new toy!

OP
P

pdubbs

Reaction score
Welcome. First off, are you on Android 2.2 (Froyo) or 2.3 Gingerbread? OTA stands for the over the air update to Gingerbread.

Unfortunately, if you have installed the OTA update, you will have to SBF back to Froyo, root, then download and install the rooted .596 files.

CM74DX

im on android 2.2.1. its telling me taht i have an update available but i didnt download it. Froyo being the sofware version name? and SBF? if you could provide the links that would be great! there are so many things on here knowing which would be most benificial to me so that im not spending for ever reading would be awesome. id really appreciate it!

Thanks for the welcomes :)

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

CM74DX

im on android 2.2.1. its telling me taht i have an update available but i didnt download it. Froyo being the sofware version name? and SBF? if you could provide the links that would be great! there are so many things on here knowing which would be most benificial to me so that im not spending for ever reading would be awesome. id really appreciate it!

Great! You didn't download the update. Good move. Since you didn't update using the Gingerbread OTA, you don't have to SBF. 2.2 is Froyo, 2.3 is Gingerbread. If you upgrade to rooted Gingerbread, I recommend you flash Apex 2.0. Its a great ROM, with amazing battery life and is stable.

Use Z4 Root to root your phone on Froyo. Here is a copy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?82u057cq5z58uo8

You can upgrade to the rooted Gingerbread by rooting Froyo, installing Droid 2 bootstrap, and downloading and installing the 2 part rooted Gingerbread files.

Here is a how to with links to the rooted Gingerbread files (Make sure you download and install the 2 part rooted files in order):

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/28/download-official-droidx-gingerbread-4-5-596-for-rooted-users/

Here is the Droid 2 bootstrap:

http://www.mediafire.com/?36we9h8bslejtwk

If you have any questions, let us know. You don't have to upgrade to rooted GB, you can just root Froyo if you want to. GB is a better operating system though.

And here is another option, if you want to mod your phone and want to customize it to the Max, root Froyo and install Cyanogenmod 7. It is super fast and amazing. It is not completely stable though, but it uses the Froyo 2.2 kernel and is Gingerbread 2.3.4, which is the latest version. Battery life is not very good.

Basically, if you want the most stable thing out there, with great battery life, I would root and install Gingerbread. If you want to customize your phone as much as possible and can live with some small little issues, root and install CM7.

CM74DX

Last edited:
OP
P

pdubbs

Reaction score

CM74DX

Great! You didn't download the update. Good move. Since you didn't update using the Gingerbread OTA, you don't have to SBF. 2.2 is Froyo, 2.3 is Gingerbread. If you upgrade to rooted Gingerbread, I recommend you flash Apex 2.0. Its a great ROM, with amazing battery life and is stable.

Use Z4 Root to root your phone on Froyo. Here is a copy:

http://www.mediafire.com/?82u057cq5z58uo8

You can upgrade to the rooted Gingerbread by rooting Froyo, installing Droid 2 bootstrap, and downloading and installing the 2 part rooted Gingerbread files.

Here is a how to with links to the rooted Gingerbread files (Make sure you download and install the 2 part rooted files in order):

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/05/28/download-official-droidx-gingerbread-4-5-596-for-rooted-users/

Here is the Droid 2 bootstrap:

http://www.mediafire.com/?36we9h8bslejtwk

If you have any questions, let us know. You don't have to upgrade to rooted GB, you can just root Froyo if you want to. GB is a better operating system though.

And here is another option, if you want to mod your phone and want to customize it to the Max, root Froyo and install Cyanogenmod 7. It is super fast and amazing. It is not completely stable though, but it uses the Froyo 2.2 kernel and is Gingerbread 2.3.4, which is the latest version. Battery life is not very good.

Basically, if you want the most stable thing out there, with great battery life, I would root and install Gingerbread. If you want to customize your phone as much as possible and can live with some small little issues, root and install CM7.

CM74DX

Ok, so I am on froyo, I want to do what you say and get the gb.(froyo and gb are names of the software versions?)
On the gb instructions I would be using method 2. Which states I need to be on official 2.3.340 firmware and need to have bootstrap. Will rooting my phone in its current state put me into 2.3.340?
Also first thing after I root it, ill have to download the bootstrap in order to install the gb?
Do I download all of the files To my computer and install then onto my phone from there? Are there any instructions with the downloads ? I read that I have to delete everything on my phone is that true?

I didn't notice a link to the apex rom. I thought that the ginger bread was the rom? So after I root, I get the bootstrap, upgrade to gb 2.3 and then "flash" apex? Flash meaning save or download to my phone?

Right now I'm just reading it. Ill actually start downloading everything later today seeing as its 2 am and I'm tired. Probably not the best time to try this out.

Sorry if I'm being repetitive I'm just trying to figure it pout so I have a better understanding of everything.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Flashing a ROM is overwriting the system file with a new one.

Ok, you are already on 2.3.340. That's the Droid X Froyo ROM. To get to Gingerbread, which is Android 2.3, or 4.5.596 ROM, you root using Z4, download the 2 part TBH files, and install Droid 2 bootstrap (hit bootstrap recovery when its installed, it will say success, then hit reboot recovery). This will boot you into Clockwork recovery. Use the volume buttons to highlight data wipe, and the camera button to select. Then go to advanced and choose wipe dalvik cache. This will give you a clean slate to install the Gingerbread ROM. Next, select install zip from SD card, then choose zip. Find the 2 part files you downloaded and install them IN ORDER! If you don't, you can brick your phone and you will have to sbf and start all over.

After you install the 2 part files, you can use the back button to get to the main screen of Clockwork Recovery, and select reboot. You are now on rooted Gingerbread. If you decide you may want to go back to the stock GB ROM from Apex, create a backup in Clockwork by selecting backup and restore, then backup.

If you want Apex, after you are done installing the 2 part Gingerbread files, find the Apex file on your SD Card, and install it. Then reboot. Your first boot might take a couple minutes. As long as you have wiped data, you shouldn't worry about it.

Here is the link to Apex:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fa...v2-0-0-release-candidate-rc2-6-11-2011-a.html

Make sure you download the 2 part Gingerbread files, and Apex before you go into Clockwork recovery. That way you don't have to exit or anything to download. You can just flash and go.

Make sure your battery is atleast 70% before you do this. It will not charge while you are in Clockwork Recovery.

CM74DX

Last edited:
OP
P

pdubbs

Reaction score

Ok, you are already on 2.3.340. That's the Droid X Froyo ROM. To get to Gingerbread, which is Android 2.3, or 4.5.596 ROM, you root using Z4, download the 2 part TBH files, and install Droid 2 bootstrap (hit bootstrap recovery when its installed, it will say success, then hit reboot recovery). This will boot you into Clockwork recovery. Use the volume buttons to highlight data wipe, and the camera button to select. Then go to advanced and choose wipe dalvik cache. This will give you a clean slate to install the Gingerbread ROM. Next, select install zip from SD card, then choose zip. Find the 2 part files you downloaded and install them IN ORDER! If you don't, you can brick your phone and you will have to sbf and start all over.

After you install the 2 part files, you can use the back button to get to the main screen of Clockwork Recovery, and select reboot. You are now on rooted Gingerbread. If you decide you may want to go back to the stock GB ROM from Apex, create a backup in Clockwork by selecting backup and restore, then backup.

If you want Apex, after you are done installing the 2 part Gingerbread files, find the Apex file on your SD Card, and install it. Then reboot. Your first boot might take a couple minutes. As long as you have wiped data, you shouldn't worry about it.

Here is the link to Apex:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/fa...v2-0-0-release-candidate-rc2-6-11-2011-a.html

Make sure you download the 2 part Gingerbread files, and Apex before you go into Clockwork recovery. That way you don't have to exit or anything to download. You can just flash and go.

Make sure your battery is atleast 70% before you do this. It will not charge while you are in Clockwork Recovery.

CM74DX

When i download all of these things do i download them from my phone or from my pc and place them on to my phone? if i dl them from pc first where would i place them on my phone?

Before i swipe all of my data is there a way to back up my apps data at all? or should i just move things from phone to pc. If it all possible i would like to save my angry birds :icon_eek: l0l silly i know. if not, no big deal but if i can i would like that. I also have a not pad app where i have a lot of stuff if i can back that up cool.

Thank you very much for all of your help. looks like ill have to wait untill tonight to do this tho :(

and now this stupid update thing keeps popping up on my phone. i force stop, but a few minutes later it starts it self back up and keeps downloading. i have my phone on airplane mode, thats the only way i could stop it. now i cant use my phone untill after tonight which really sucks but w/e.

Last edited:

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I just saw this.

It will be alot faster if you download the files from a computer and place them on your SD card.

Root using Z4 Root and download Titanium Backup from the market and use it to back up all your apps. Its the best and its what I use. It will also backup the app data for Angry Birds.

LGX v2.4

OP
P

pdubbs

Reaction score

Ok, you are already on 2.3.340. That's the Droid X Froyo ROM. To get to Gingerbread, which is Android 2.3, or 4.5.596 ROM, you root using Z4, download the 2 part TBH files, and install Droid 2 bootstrap (hit bootstrap recovery when its installed, it will say success, then hit reboot recovery). This will boot you into Clockwork recovery.

CM74DX

ok so i just rooted my phone. I also downloaded the titanium backup app, it was the free version and it says my backuphistory is 1, i can still back up multiple apps tho right?

i am currently downloading the bootstrap downloads from that droidlife link you posted with the how to directions.

my question now is what 2part tbh file are you talking about?

After i rooted my phone i thought it would be safe to turn my phone off of airplane mode, thinking that the OTA wouldnt try to download anymore, but it does. i thought rooting the phone would stop it. i hit force stop on the application that updates and it stops for 1 second and it restarts the download. Even though i have root access some of the options with in the settings for the updating app are still darkened so i cant select them.
What will happen if i let it update while its rooted? will i still be able to install a new rom? or is there some way i can stop it from downloading so i can use my phone again because its been a couple days with out it...

sorry for taking so long but im not at home right now, i wont be for a few days.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Don't let it update. I don't understand how it can download while its in airplane mode. You can use an app freezer app from the market to freeze the blurupdater.apk file, or use Root Explorer to rename it to blurupdater.apk.bak

Here are the TBH 2 part files (this is the same link I posted before, I just thought I would post again):

Scroll down to where it says Method 2 - coming from Froyo. The Part 1 and Part 2 files are there.

SSX v2.0

OP
P

pdubbs

Reaction score
Don't let it update. I don't understand how it can download while its in airplane mode. You can use an app freezer app from the market to freeze the blurupdater.apk file, or use Root Explorer to rename it to blurupdater.apk.bak

Here are the TBH 2 part files (this is the same link I posted before, I just thought I would post again):

Scroll down to where it says Method 2 - coming from Froyo. The Part 1 and Part 2 files are there.
Download: Official DROIDX Gingerbread 4.5.596 for Rooted Users - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

SSX v2.0
its not updating in airplane mode, thats the only way i have found to stop it from updating. and idk if i will have enough time to go to the market download the app killer. because the update will start to download again instantly.

i have one of the two tbh files downloaded. that site says i have to wait another hour to download the second.

where do i find this root explorer, on my phone?

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Check your PM box. If you are ok with keeping your phone in airplane mode, then don't worry about it. I don't know if you are having to use your phone to download the TBH files.

That site should let you download those files right after another. Exit out of that and click the link for the other file. It should let you do it.

SSX v2.0