hey droid-ers

vagueGirl

Reaction score
Hi,

Total newbie here. Got the Verizon Motorola Droid and am still figuring it out.
Glad I found this site!!!

My problems/questions/confusions for the moment:
  • What is this "root" thing?
  • Will they make an Otter Box for the Droid?
  • About this tethering... can they really tell what you're doing, since I've read that you can rack up multi gigs per month just streaming and using the droid for everything?
  • When will we have flash?
  • Why can't I upload pics?
  • Should I stop asking questions now? :p

Okay, I'll stop... I'm not a computer newbie, as you can probably tell... just a smartphone one. And I appreciatre any help!

Thanks y'all!
vagueGirl

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
OH NO. A GIRL!!! EVERYBODY RUN AND HIDE!!!

But for serial...

Rooting is hacking the phone for superuser permissions -- lets you do things the manufacturer didnt intend. I'm a big supporter of using your phone for a couple weeks before you start to mod it, so you understand how to use it and what's considered normal behavior.

OtterBox -- Maybe, the phone has sold enough units. There are plenty of good alternatives out there

Tether -- They cant tell, typical usage is anywhere from 1 to 10GB/month. It is techincally a violation of the ToS, so they can get you for it, but I havent heard of this happening yet.

Flash -- We'll have it when we have it. Likely sometime this year, but who knows.

Upload Pics -- Because you're not doing it right? You'll have to provide more detail for us to help.

Yes, this is enough questions for one thread.

Happy Droiding.

OP
V

vagueGirl

Reaction score
No girl droids? What do the boy droids do with themselves???
Ah... answered my own question I see. Clever girl!

Thanks for the quick answers.
Oh, and I meant upload pics from droid to... here, for instance.
Not upload to my droid, silly.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I upload to picasa.. is that what you mean? Or do you mean from your droid to this site? If the later, you've got to upload to a picture site like picasa or photobucket and link the image..

And welcome!

OP
V

vagueGirl

Reaction score
I upload to picasa.. is that what you mean? Or do you mean from your droid to this site? If the later, you've got to upload to a picture site like picasa or photobucket and link the image..

And welcome!

Yes... that's what I meant. Thanks.
I assume Flickr would work, too?

thacrownprince

Reaction score
Just in case you didn't know this. It's been over the forums, but OtterBox is finally selling the Commuter Case for the Motorola Droid. I just ordered one actually. Ran into this thread when I was trying to do a search for information on the product. Naturally no one has any reviews because the case just came out. If you're interested in getting one, use coupon code "TechBargains0110p" to get 10 percent off, plus free shipping. I think my total came out to be a little over 31 dollars, shipped.

JerzyGirl

Reaction score
i cant make out in the pic what the otterbox looks like, but is it a full coverage case? I think I need one. I am too hard on my phones, not intentionally of course..

sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread. It seemed like the perfect place to ask to question :)

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome aboard! Looks like your questions were already taken care of, but if you have more, you're likely to find your answers already exist here! If not, feel free to ask!

thacrownprince

Reaction score
i cant make out in the pic what the otterbox looks like, but is it a full coverage case? I think I need one. I am too hard on my phones, not intentionally of course..

sorry, didnt mean to hijack your thread. It seemed like the perfect place to ask to question :)

Here's a link of their pdf: http://www.otterbox.com/pdfs/mot4-droid-info.pdf
Looks like it's 3 pieces, but I am not sure. I figured it's like most other Motorola Droid cases, there's a front that covers the bezel, then there's the back and I am guessing the 3rd piece they are advertising is the screen protector. I am excited to get it, since I dropped it and the front bezel around the screen has a few paint chips that reveals metal color (where the black paint chipped off). I used a black Sharpie marker and it did a good job of hiding the metal color, haha. However after a few days, it needs a touch up. However other phone's Commuter cases seem to be half silicone and half polycarbonate. I am hoping that's the case, but it's probably not. My order shipped, so if you want to wait a few days, I can write a review or at least fill you in what it looks like.

JerzyGirl

Reaction score

Here's a link of their pdf: http://www.otterbox.com/pdfs/mot4-droid-info.pdf
Looks like it's 3 pieces, but I am not sure. I figured it's like most other Motorola Droid cases, there's a front that covers the bezel, then there's the back and I am guessing the 3rd piece they are advertising is the screen protector. I am excited to get it, since I dropped it and the front bezel around the screen has a few paint chips that reveals metal color (where the black paint chipped off). I used a black Sharpie marker and it did a good job of hiding the metal color, haha. However after a few days, it needs a touch up. However other phone's Commuter cases seem to be half silicone and half polycarbonate. I am hoping that's the case, but it's probably not. My order shipped, so if you want to wait a few days, I can write a review or at least fill you in what it looks like.

hey that sounds great..I want a good case, i am so brutal on my phones. I dont wanna ruin this one...when u have to use the insurance, you get such garbage back...its all refurbished...have more problems then the one I messed up!