Hey all- Could use some help picking

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by Lonenut, May 5, 2011.

1. Lonenut

Lonenut New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a new member! I've just realized my contract is ready for a phone upgrade, and I ended up finding these forums while researching my options. A little history: I've mostly been a blackberry user in the past. My Blackberry Tour ended up dying an early death about a year back and I had to pick up a refurb. I grabbed a Motorola Devour, which has been largely terrible, but I think it's the failings of the phone, not the OS.

Right now I'm strongly considering picking up a Droid 2 Global (I do use my phone for a significant amount of business, and I value the full keyboard because my fingers just seem to be too big to work with any speed on a screen keyboard.) At the same time, the Droid 2 is an almost ancient phone at this point, being a year old, and I understand the X2 is coming out pretty soon. I'm really torn between wanting something newer and shinier, and going for something that I know will meet my business needs.

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

2. Hawaiian Princess

Hawaiian Princess Moderator

Ratings:
    +16
    Welcome to the forum. Well I have a Global and an X. I use my D2G for my business needs. I have no issues with my phone in which I know many others have, even after I rooted and customized it. My X I haven't done anything to it but I love it non the less. Depending what u wanna do or add to suit ur business needs, the Global is a great phone, easy to use.
    I'm using my Xoom as well because it fits my business needs even further, and since my Global tethers between the two, I've got the best of both worlds. Good luck

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA

3. Lonenut

Lonenut New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. I think you just made my choice even harder. :unsure:

My big concern is whether it's being ridiculous to pass up the 4G opportunities and multi-core possibilities on the newest phones in favor of something I should feel reasonably sure will work well. I almost wonder if the iphone is more popular simply because you know exactly what to buy (whatever is newest) and aren't weighing all the awesome options available on a variety of phones.

4. Droid-Xer

Droid-Xer DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Are you in an area that has/will have soon 4G? If not then I say pick up a Droid 2 Global on a 1 yr contract (I think the 1 yr is still available).

5. Hawaiian Princess

Ratings:
    +16
    well, let me ask u this. what documents do u think u would be using? like myself, I use QuickOffice HD Pro which works some what similar to Office products like word, excel, PPT. although excel does not feed mathematically I can still work around it. do u travel over seas? the D2G has the global feature but its a little tricky when switching over.

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

6. Hawaiian Princess

Ratings:
    +16
    as far as 4G I wish I can say I've used it but in Hawaii we can't. I've been reading a lot on ppl issues when switching between 3 and 4G

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

7. Lonenut

Lonenut New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I live in an area that already has 4G. It looks like all of the Verizon phones that handle 4G have serious battery problems, though, what's good in the 4G realm?

I work in word and excel with some frequency. I wish I could work in powerpoint on my phone, but nothing has ever handled that well. I probably won't travel overseas frequently enough or the global capability to matter to me much.

8. Hawaiian Princess

Ratings:
    +16
    Well I hope u find something suitable to ur needs. I'm a Visio / Access person but there's no programs out there that can handle it on a phone or my Xoom. But again I use minimal office products just to do light procedures, etc.
    I think vzw has a 14 day return or exchange so maybe u might wanna give the Global a try. I love it, I really had no issues except for battery the first week. But I learned to adjust my settings, add a few apps, and of course rooted to under clock. U like the keyboard feature, so I think u will be satisfied, somewhat.

sent from my Hawaiian Xoom...ALOHA