Here's the first thread for the rumored HTC Nexus 2016 device

Discussion in 'HTC Nexus 2016' started by dgstorm, Mar 3, 2016.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,254
    HTC might be making the next Nexus smartphone for 2016. What do you folks think about that?

2. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    When is the Nexus line usually released?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

3. GoCliffGo05

GoCliffGo05 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 7
    I personally don't like that they fluctuate manufacturers... sure nexus is the king of AOSP and mods alike but by now we all have a favorite company for the most part. I feel like the fact that they try to switch every year hurts what they are building, or what they have been trying to build.

Sent from my Note 4

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,391
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I have to disagree. I've owned 2 Nexus devices so far (If you don't count the OG android phone as a Nexus, even though it's stock...or the OG droid, which was also stock android).

Anyway...Before the Galaxy Nexus, I had the OG Droid, the Droid X, a Droid 2 R2-D2 (sold that on ebay after a couple days), and a Droid Bionic. At least. Might've forgotten one. All Moto phones. I enjoyed them.

Even with the cluster that was the Galaxy Nexus on VZW, I was sold on Samsung with that device. My next phones after that were an S4 and a Note 4.

Now, I've got the Huawei 6P, a device by a company that I never would've given a second thought to. I've been very impressed with and love this phone.

I get your point. It'd be nice if the Nexus line was a bit more predictable/stable from year to year, but I like the variation. I'm much more likely to give a device made by a company I haven't really purchased from before a chance when I know Google had a hand in helping them in the design/testing/etc.

Just my opinion though.

5. cr6

cr6 Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +6,707
    Current Phone Model:
    Galaxy S7 Edge
    Twitter:
    @dronewolfmedia
    Yeah, I think it hurts them more than it helps. By sticking with one manufacturer year after year, they would be able to better refine the Nexus brand and put out a device more people would be interested in.

6. popcenator

popcenator Droid X Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +904
    I think them changing manufacturers each year showcases what Android is about, choice. You can have a similar experience with your favorite OS with your favorite manufacturer. The Nexus experience should be pretty much the same across devices, so you can skip over them one year and wait for the OEM of your choice and not really feel like you've been missing out. It shows the versatility of Android that it doesn't matter the hardware, the software is the showcase.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 4
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I think it also spreads the love a little. How many would have actually but a Huawei device prior to the 6P?

HTC is in a rut and needs help. (Although I don't feel building a Nexus is going to help any when they refuse to change and keep up) I actually worry if HTC won't hurt the Nexus name by creating a sub par device.

The Thunderbolt was my first Android device and when I saw it I fell in love. Once I got my hands on it I was hooked. I came from a 4s which was probably actually my first smartphone other than Blackberry's. The Thunderbolt is actually what led me to this forum and subsequently all the other sister sites I'm a part of.

I think HTC needs to mix it up internally and get some fresh minds in there. Seems as though their engineering department is stuck on devices they find appealing and want and are ignoring what is selling. Or perhaps they are happy being mid level and staying there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  8. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    It could definitely help HTC bounce back, assuming it'll be a good phone.