Here's an interesting one for you...

sxtnitehawk

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my Droid back in June. I was very wary of trying to root it using the standard methods, and I heard about EasyRoot. So i paid for it and installed it.....it worked just fine. I downloaded and installed ROM Manager Pro and flashed the next to newest recovery that it came with as the most up to date recovery it had did not work at all for me (would always have errors trying to load any kind of rom). So, I downloaded the Insanely Clean ROM and flashed it w/ the 1.2ghz kernal, and a couple other things along the way.

After that, everything went all haywire.........

I almost bricked the phone (sat at the big M for an hour w/ no response) until we put my SD card in my buddy's laptop, deleted the rom manager folder (and the backups it contained unfortunately), installed the SDK on the laptop, got the phone to boot up finally....

As of currently... I'm NOT rooted, running a custom ROM, and recovery locks up and reboots on me within 10 seconds.... I've tried doing a wipe, but that gets halted and the phone reboots in the middle of it.....

All I wanna do now is just get it to go back to 2.1 or 2.2 STOCK and I SWARE i will root it the right way next time!

I'm pretty sure if i would take the phone back to Verizon they would laugh at me and send me on my way...so that's my very very last resort if at all possible...

HELP!

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
check out link one in my sig to flash a stock version back onto your phone

OP
S

sxtnitehawk

Reaction score

I tried the "Any OS" method and it didnt work. I was able to get SPRecovery onto the phone just fine and the root update named "update.zip" in the SD card's root, but when i try to install it in recovery, it keeps saying:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

Ideas? would it be possible to run the install through RSD like we did w/ SPRecovery?

edit: ignore that last question.......its 3:30 in the morning and i'm not totally thinking straight..........its a zip not an SBF, heh...

Last edited:

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

I tried the "Any OS" method and it didnt work. I was able to get SPRecovery onto the phone just fine and the root update named "update.zip" in the SD card's root, but when i try to install it in recovery, it keeps saying:

E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
(No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount SDCARD:update.zip
Installation aborted

Ideas? would it be possible to run the install through RSD like we did w/ SPRecovery?

edit: ignore that last question.......its 3:30 in the morning and i'm not totally thinking straight..........its a zip not an SBF, heh...

You're making sure to "allow" update.zip, and you're sure the file is named update.zip, not update.zip.zip?

ChugIt

Reaction score
Sounds like you possibly have it named update.zip.zip too maybe. Make sure your pc is set to view file extensions and make sure this is not the case.

OP
S

sxtnitehawk

Reaction score
After a few more hours of searching the net I managed to find an unofficial 2.1-Update1 SBF file and loaded that on the phone then used the Any OS root method in your sig. That worked to get stock rooted.....against better judgement i downloaded and installed rom manager pro again and read somewhere WHY i kept having problems with the phone going into recovery (something about droids dont like using "reboot-recovery"), so each time i want to flash something I just power down, and boot into recovery using the hotkey. I'm now running Clockworkmod Recovery.

I immediatly made a nandroid backup of the phone w/ root so if i screw something up I can always backtrack and start over.....

Question though, will your any OS method work on froyo? If so i'm SO finding an SBF for froyo!

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
After a few more hours of searching the net I managed to find an unofficial 2.1-Update1 SBF file and loaded that on the phone then used the Any OS root method in your sig. That worked to get stock rooted.....against better judgement i downloaded and installed rom manager pro again and read somewhere WHY i kept having problems with the phone going into recovery (something about droids dont like using "reboot-recovery"), so each time i want to flash something I just power down, and boot into recovery using the hotkey. I'm now running Clockworkmod Recovery.

I immediatly made a nandroid backup of the phone w/ root so if i screw something up I can always backtrack and start over.....

Question though, will your any OS method work on froyo? If so i'm SO finding an SBF for froyo!

Glad you got it working, what is your end game to be rooted on official 2.2 or to have a rooted 2.2 Rom (better IMO!)?

DAVID2010

Reaction score
That's what can happen

On the one hand I see why companies may not want you messing around hacking your device. Because it can mess up and the company should not have to fix what you mess up. But if you, me , whoever is fine with what may happen by rooting, jailbreaking then so be it.
I did root my Droid X when I had it but know longer wanted it rooted. With Verizon and Google letting me download applications outside the Android Market and having a wide variety of applications to choose from I did not feel like I was missing anything.

OP
S

sxtnitehawk

Reaction score
eventually i want to run a custom rom, but all of the ones so far i've tried, i dont like or have caused me to lose root (moving from 2.1 to 2.2). I suppose building my own rom would eventually be in order...for now rooted official 2.2 will suffice...

OP
S

sxtnitehawk

Reaction score
well i found an official (but rooted) froyo on here, so i installed that, downloaded busybox installer, rom manager, etc...

then i get a system update notification from verizon.........couldnt decide if i should install or not, so i made another nandroid and installed update...didnt seem to kill root so hooray, now i have flash 10.1