Here Is What The "X" and "P" In Nexus 5X and 6P Stand For!

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Sep 30, 2015.

1. DroidModderX

DroidModderX Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,204
    [​IMG]

Today the Nexus team did an AMA on reddit. They tackled some difficult questions like "Why not include OIS?", and "Why No Qi Charging", but one of the most interesting answers was to the question "what does the X and P stand for?". As it turns out Hiroshi Lockheimer gives a pretty reasonable explanation. The X is in reference to the core of the neXus brand, and also just straight up sounded cool. The P simply stands for premium.

via Reddit

• Like Like x 2
  2. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    Simple and gets the point across. Although I would think both would technically be premium devices....

3. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,782
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    That's not the most interesting question.

I want to know:
    WHY NO QI?!?!?!

*found
    Thanks for being a Nexus fan! We added Qi wireless charging starting with N4 because plugging in USB micro B was such a hassle! (Which way is up!?) With this year’s Nexii, we support USB Type-C which has a reversible connector so there’s no more guessing. AND it charges incredibly swiftly: 1% to 100% in 97 mins on the 6P for example (the first ~45 mins of charging is especially fast). Meanwhile, wireless charging adds z (thickness). So, ease of plugging in + fast charging + optimizing for thinness made us double down on Type-C instead of wireless!

#3 PereDroid, Oct 1, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Mine would of been: Why not make 32GB standard?

5. xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx Active Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Current Phone Model:
    Huawei Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    bentxnail
    I have an S6, which has wireless charging. It's a very cool and innovative feature for smartphones and electronics in general, I concede. However, I did buy a wireless charger to check out all the hype. I never use it. Mostly because I spend a lot of time on my phone while I am lying in bed, so I like to charge it while doing so, which COULD be done with the wireless charger, but it'd be very awkward pressing the wireless charger to the back of the phone whilst holding it in your hands. :p

I guess I personally don't see how the lack of wireless charging is a huge deal, but, I can also see why people appreciate the feature as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    I have used wireless charging for almost 2 years. I like that I can put my phone in the exact same spot every time and it gets charged. It's also nice not having to do anything, just drop it and pick it back up without unplugging anything. BUT...it's not a deal breaker for me. If I can get 6 to 8 hours from a 15 minute quick charge I don't see the need for Qi charging. If I know I'm not going to be near a charger for a while, put it on the quicker charger for a little bit and then don't worry.

• Like Like x 3
  7. boidsonly

boidsonly Active Member

Ratings:
    +103
    "what does the X and P stand for?"
    That's more important than Qi charging? I must have my priorities out of order....
    It sounds like they cut corners to maximize profit. I think I'll stick with the current N6-I don't see anything that I have to have that requires paying full price again.

8. Gremlin

Gremlin Active Member

Ratings:
    +102
    If this device charges faster than Qi, what is the point of having Qi? Just to place a device ona mat to charge instead of plugging it in??

9. Mustang02

Mustang02 Diamond Member

Ratings:
    +6,073
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P/5X
    Maybe you missed it but that question was asked as well. This is what happens when you have an open forum for questions. Please ask anything that pops into their heads. I'm surprised we didn't see anything about what they ate for breakfast.

10. thunderbolt_nick

thunderbolt_nick Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +724
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @nickburress2k2
    Yeah but the problem is the cord and the port break down. With wireless charging you can preserve them a little better. Can't tell you how many cords and repairs I had to do on previous phones. I haven't had to do that on the N6 because I don't use the cord that often unless I need a charge quickly.

11. xDMONEYx

xDMONEYx Active Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Current Phone Model:
    Huawei Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    bentxnail
    That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that myself. Luckily I have never had any issues with the charging ports on my devices that I can recall.

Another issue I tend to find with using wireless charging is that, since my phone rests on my night stand next to my bed, I have overthrown my blanket, a pillow, maybe my hand/arm while sleeping and knocked my phone off of the wireless charging dock. While the feature is cool, it is not as reliable as a hardwire, for me anyways. Similar to how people prefer to have their devices hardwired to their router rather than using wireless, I guess.

12. PereDroid

PereDroid DF News Team Reporter

Ratings:
    +3,782
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Ugh, I've never woken up with my blanket or pillow over my phone. On the QI or plugged in. Move the nightstand a little farther. ;D

How anyone can be anti Wireless Charging is beyond me. ;)

Search tags for this page

nexus 5x 6p

what does 6p stand for in a chef salad

what does the x stand for nexus5x