Helping out a friend

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by Cmonson, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Cmonson

Cmonson New Member

Hey what's going on everyone. I have a friend with a droid and he says its running slugish. I suggested for him to flash a rom on it but he's not exactly tech savy and I know the process to put a rom on a droid is different from putting one on a droid x since droids can change kernels. So my question is what is the process and what's a good rom to use?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  2. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

First question: is he rooted? If not root his phone for him (there are plenty of how to threads)

Second thing: if he doesn't want to root his phone check and see if he has any task killers on his phone and remove them. Those only slow down the phone.

Third thing: remove any anti virus apps he has. They aren't needed as long as you download smartly and don't pirate apps. And again they only slow down the phone.

Fourth thing: uhhhh I think that's everything. Hope it helps you and him.
  3. Cmonson

Cmonson New Member

Na he told that he really wants a rom. I can root it no problem its just the whole kernel thing is confusing when trying to put a rom on it. I really don't want to brick it

4. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Most roms come with custom kernels. You can flash a rom without having to flash a kernel. And if its an original Droid, they are difficult to brick thanks to rsd lite.
  5. Cmonson

Cmonson New Member

Oh ok cool..thanks for all the help you guys

6. mkjellgren

mkjellgren New Member

If you can handle the rooting aspect just fine you'll be able to do everything else you asked about. As far as rom recommendations, stick with froyo. Gingerbread is just a little too buggy for someone who doesn't know how to fix it if something goes wrong. I highly recommend project elite 4.2 or RZbaseline 0.5 for a great combination of speed and stability. PE4.2 comes preinstalled with slayhers 1100mhz low voltage kernel. However, slayher's kernels tend to run a little hot for many people. I recommend trying out raidzero's kernels as they seem just as quick (if not quicker) as slayher's with much lower temps and better battery life in my experience. You flash new kernels exactly the same way as you flash roms except you do not need to wipe everything. And as always, make a backup whenever you are changing anything significant and you should have no problems.
  7. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

It's been my experience that slayher's and chevyno1's kernels run hot. I suggest loading a few different kernels on the sd. If one makes you boot loop, instead of doing a backup, just flash another kernel. And if a kernel gives a boot loop, go down in frequency or up in voltage. Let us know if you need any more help.

Swyped from a Droid