HelpASAP Broke new phone

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
ok so I just got up and Im going to try this again now So i need to start in Sprecovery and find out what type I have. My phone is still rooted. I was going to try it again just a little scared of same thing happing. Now I would much rather run the new version of smoked glass.

I have sp recovery 99.3b

there is a preinstall-bds-20100326-0921 folder in my nandroid folder. now if i try thi sagain do you think it was a fluke and will work this time and do i have to do another backup of my phone

Ok you're in good shape. The preinstall backup was made by dmupdater when you flashed DM1.0. It is of you stock(rooted) so it is where you are now. That is the only backup if it is the only one in your nandroid folder. Don't delete it. That'll be a good place to go if you have future issues and need to start over.

If you want to run Smoked Glass 6.0 you will need to download the nandroid backup he has. Extract it using WinRar. Then place it in your nandroid folder. When you boot into recovery you will need to wipe data and wipe cache(its a must no way around it. Logging into google before you boot into recovery should allow it to reinstall your apps automatically, if not they will be in the markey under downloads and you can just redo them from there) Now that you've wiped data and cache, go to backup/restore, do advanced nandroid backup(backs up your current state.) then do advanved nandroid restore, choose backup (pick the Smoked Glass) then perform restore. Wait until it is completely done, back out to main recovery screen and reboot.

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
is there a rom I can use that I dont have to completley wipe everythign such as bugless beast or something I'm just a little worried sincw the firts time i was stuck into boot mode restarting constantly then i did it again it loaded then phone shut off and got stuck into boot screen again so i did restore again and now thats where im at should. dont understand why 2 times it didn't work when this is a fairly easy mod. any suggestions to this or a rom that i dont have to completley wipe data/cache with

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
is there a rom I can use that I dont have to completley wipe everythign such as bugless beast or something I'm just a little worried sincw the firts time i was stuck into boot mode restarting constantly then i did it again it loaded then phone shut off and got stuck into boot screen again so i did restore again and now thats where im at should. dont understand why 2 times it didn't work when this is a fairly easy mod. any suggestions to this or a rom that i dont have to completley wipe data/cache with

Well the older versions of some ROMs you won't have to wipe, but if you want a new 2.1 based ROM you're going to have to wipe data and cache.

I think the boot loops are due to something being corrupted. I would try using DMupdater to unroot back to stock and completely start over. It's not ideal but we pay a price for modding our phones sometimes.

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
if i unroot my phone will it still be able to run recovery if something happends

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
yeah ive tried this 3 times and same things keep happening for some reason. i would like to go back to stock but Ima afraid I wont be able to use back up if for some reason going back to stock doesnt work because obviously the mod isnt owrking for me. Also it says you can redownload the mod should I try this I'm a little owrrid about this cause it says you shouldn't download it again. would this be ok to do to see if it fixes my problems or no

Last edited:
OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
Ok i ran it and am back to stock. now should i try it again to root and the droid mod and see if something was corrupted or just wait lol I'd like to root and go that way but it did give me a little confidence that I can do this since i've recoverd and what not a few times now So I'm just not sure what the problem might have been with the program an dwhy i couldnt seem to sucssefully get it working. Sorry for all the updates I keep messing with phone and just want anyone thats helping to knwo what stage I am at now. Thanks for the help again though especially for being a noob I appreciate it for sure

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great! What process did you use to get back stock? I ask because if you are comfortable with that particular process then you should have confidence using that process or a similar to root and install a new rom.

Sent you a PM

Mike

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok i ran it and am back to stock. now should i try it again to root and the droid mod and see if something was corrupted or just wait lol I'd like to root and go that way but it did give me a little confidence that I can do this since i've recoverd and what not a few times now So I'm just not sure what the problem might have been with the program an dwhy i couldnt seem to sucssefully get it working. Sorry for all the updates I keep messing with phone and just want anyone thats helping to knwo what stage I am at now. Thanks for the help again though especially for being a noob I appreciate it for sure

Alright...back to stock. Go into astro an delete the nandoid folder. The big question is do you want to root manually or the fast easy way?

Sorry if I can't answer faster. At work atm, but when I'm free I will check back.

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
I used the dm updater program that's what I used to root and to try and instgall mod and also to return to stock. I am more comrtable with this process cause its hard to mess up to the point that I can't restore my phone. Id b worried trying to restore typing commands in

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
And so I should deleted what's in my nandroid foler right? That's just the back up of my phone correct? So when I redo the dmupdater it will create new backup which goes into that foler

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just popping in. If I were you, don't use dmupdater anymore until their next release. I had a problem going back to stock for something with it, making me have no 3G or cell signal, and had to inevitably re-flash my phone. No fun.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc)

Use this. This is an updated guide, and honestly what got me comfortable enough to do all the crazy stuff you see going on here. If you want to do some of these amazing things, you are going to end up having to use a terminal, or make a backup, so following this guide will help you. You don't have to use Bugless Beast, but you can use this guide to root your phone, install sprecovery, and get set up to install a ROM. Some ROM's that many would recommend are Ultimate Droid, Simply Stunning, and even Bugless Beast. And last of all, this forum is a very friendly and helpful place. You can always come back to this part of the forum and ask for help. Have fun, and always remember to make a backup before trying anything. You'll thank yourself sooner or later. :p

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Or do u mean delete entire folder or what's in it

Just delete the whole folder. You can use dmupdater to root and flash sprecovery but don't install the rom. Can walk you through doing another ROM of your choice if you'd like. Let me know.

OP
A

actngrezy

Developer
Reaction score
ok so I deleted the nandroid folder now one more question there is an update-stock and an update files already on my sd card should i delete the update file/files or will that matter.