HelpASAP Broke new phone

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by actngrezy, Mar 26, 2010.

1. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

im such n idiot if i can get this fixed ill never do it again. i followed step by step n rooted my phone everyhthing was fine.i used dmuploader n tried to get droid 1.0 i guess i followed everything right and at evry end after new rom was suppose to b in phone kept turning on n off numerous time....i finally got it in recovery by holding x and did a simple back restore wouldnyt work so now im in advanced and iy says perform a restore then has potions such as boot cache data misc recovery n system and boot data n system r checked shooukld i click restore now...im so upset n stupid my phones only 1 week old
  2. actngrezy

i hope someone can help me im so sorry im freaking out cause i guess warrenty is voided so verizon wont replace it
  3. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

This will be moved to the rescue squad. hold on .... someone will help you shortly
  4. actngrezy

im an idiot i thought since i did a simple recovery i forgot to back out and see if it worked i thouht it woild automatically work but i did the advance restore and phone is back does anyone know what could have went wrong? I have been reading on rooting my phone before even getting it and I am pretty tech savy I work on wiis and computer all time but this really scared me I thouhgt i was done for. So if anyone had any advice for me I would like to try again even thouhg I'm a little scared I'm sure I can do it.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  5. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

~moved by request of corinacakes to Rescue Squad~
  6. Corinacakes

actn i understand your frustration right now...don't worry...someone will be along to help you. just stay calm...it'll be ok
  7. actngrezy

yeah i got the phone working again but now I'm scared to unroot it and go back to stock just incase i lose everything but if i am rooted will i still recieve the 2.1 update?
  8. Corinacakes

act don't be scared.... this was just a fluke that you had problems with droidmod. if you need to chat add me to gtalk and i'll help you the best i can. my name is below in my signature
  9. baniels

baniels New Member

Don't be afraid. I think she is right. It was a fluke. DM is usually hard to go wrong with.
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Slow down. Breathe in and out a few times. Get a cup of coffee. Relax.

What is in your nandroid backup directory on the SD card? Give me a file name.

What version of SPRecovery is on your phone right now? (Hold X key and power up...when it boots into recovery console right at the top it will say what kind of recovery console you are running...stock from Verizon or 99.1b or 99.2b or 99.3b of SPRecovery?)

There is a file (I have it, but have no clue how to share it or where I got it from) that you can flash onto your phone and put it right back to where it was before you rooted and you don't lose any of your apps or settings. And if you have a nandroid of everything else, you'll be right back to where you were.

Once we get you back to square one, you can try to root and flash again. The first step is to teach you how to recover from a total screw up so you'll be more comfortable screwing it up again...err...I mean...upgrading your ROM again.

Nate (BTDT)
  11. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Hey, Actngrezy! How are you making out? Give us an update and we'll get you through this.

Mike
  12. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

I'm glad this didn't totally shake your confidence. What happend was you got stuck in a boot loop. It will happen sometimes. I think most of us running ROMs have had it happen at least once. With DroidMod I don't know why it happened. But if you'd like we can walk you. Through installing another ROM. Just remember don't panic, and there's always a way.(99.99% of the time) as no one here has heard of a confirmed bricked Droid.
  13. actngrezy

ok so I just got up and Im going to try this again now So i need to start in Sprecovery and find out what type I have. My phone is still rooted. I was going to try it again just a little scared of same thing happing. Now I would much rather run the new version of smoked glass.

I have sp recovery 99.3b

there is a preinstall-bds-20100326-0921 folder in my nandroid folder. now if i try thi sagain do you think it was a fluke and will work this time and do i have to do another backup of my phone
  14. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

I did not use the same process you are using. I crated the nandroid folder and the only files in that particular folder have been files that I added. Therefore, I'm thinking that the automated process may have created the file you see. I'm always cautious so, if it were me doing this, I would make another backup. You can always delete it.

Mike
  15. actngrezy

ok I tried to do it again droid mod came up my phone loaded then wouldnt unlock and it shutoff then restrated and stuff on the motor icon
  16. jstafford1

Ok you're in good shape. The preinstall backup was made by dmupdater when you flashed DM1.0. It is of you stock(rooted) so it is where you are now. That is the only backup if it is the only one in your nandroid folder. Don't delete it. That'll be a good place to go if you have future issues and need to start over.

If you want to run Smoked Glass 6.0 you will need to download the nandroid backup he has. Extract it using WinRar. Then place it in your nandroid folder. When you boot into recovery you will need to wipe data and wipe cache(its a must no way around it. Logging into google before you boot into recovery should allow it to reinstall your apps automatically, if not they will be in the markey under downloads and you can just redo them from there) Now that you've wiped data and cache, go to backup/restore, do advanced nandroid backup(backs up your current state.) then do advanved nandroid restore, choose backup (pick the Smoked Glass) then perform restore. Wait until it is completely done, back out to main recovery screen and reboot.
  17. actngrezy

is there a rom I can use that I dont have to completley wipe everythign such as bugless beast or something I'm just a little worried sincw the firts time i was stuck into boot mode restarting constantly then i did it again it loaded then phone shut off and got stuck into boot screen again so i did restore again and now thats where im at should. dont understand why 2 times it didn't work when this is a fairly easy mod. any suggestions to this or a rom that i dont have to completley wipe data/cache with
  18. jstafford1

Well the older versions of some ROMs you won't have to wipe, but if you want a new 2.1 based ROM you're going to have to wipe data and cache.

I think the boot loops are due to something being corrupted. I would try using DMupdater to unroot back to stock and completely start over. It's not ideal but we pay a price for modding our phones sometimes.
  19. actngrezy

if i unroot my phone will it still be able to run recovery if something happends
  20. actngrezy

yeah ive tried this 3 times and same things keep happening for some reason. i would like to go back to stock but Ima afraid I wont be able to use back up if for some reason going back to stock doesnt work because obviously the mod isnt owrking for me. Also it says you can redownload the mod should I try this I'm a little owrrid about this cause it says you shouldn't download it again. would this be ok to do to see if it fixes my problems or no
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010