Help

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Saaggs, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    K I'm new as well and need some clarification on a few things if possible. I have a droid x and wanted to use Root Explorer to change the Unlock.ogg. to something other than the little sound. I have converted an MP3 file to .ogg and got it to sound great and it is currently named Unlock.ogg and is on my sdcard.

While trying to rename the original Unlock.ogg in SYSTEM/MEDIA/AUDIO/UI it tells me that the file is read only. I go back to reading forums . . .

. . . I come back under the impression that I now need to root my phone to continue. I see a file in Root Explorer called root and it says that my phone doesn't seem to be rooted. I learn about a program called DroidXRoot that has two buttons one to root one to unroot. After a little struggle I finally get the program to tell me that my phone has been successfully rooted.

I reboot and open Root Explorer only to get told the same thing -- the Unlock.ogg file in the UI is still saying read only and when I clicked on the root file it said that my phone doesn't appear to be rooted.

Taking a step back, I remember reading about an app called Superuser that I'm supposed to have, I check my apps and no Superuser so I check the market and find a free one.

I should note here that my antivirus flagged the Superuser I downloaded, I picked the one with the most good reviews so I tend to think its no big deal, but still. When I open Superuser it tells me I need to update the su binary and to click OK to automatically update. The update falis and tells me su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip has been placed on my sdcard please reboot into recovery mode and flash it to update my su binary. I don't know how to do that.

This is where I'm at right now wondering if I'm close to the end result and if I'm missing something so far that might make this all make more sense. I also don't know if I'm on the righht track or if I should unroot through the program I rooted through and start over or what. Help Please. I don't know if the previous guides are even for my phone. I have read most of them and am still unsure what if anything I'm leaving out or 100 percent on what I should do next. Anyone have any Ideas?

2. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    by the sounds of it, it doesnt seem like youre rooted. if you were on 2.1 rooted and took the 2.2 update, you lost roo.

you can use root explorer to move the file, but first you need to be rooted to have R/W permissions in the location that you want to move it to.

follow this to root
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...08-multiple-phones-root-them-unroot-them.html

then when that is successful, you should see a button on root explorer on the top right that says "R/W". click this then you can move the file to where you want.

dont download the superuser app from the market, its not needed the way i suggested. just uninstall it first then follow the guide i posted.

3. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    K

I got this phone 2 days ago will it already be upgraded to 2.2?

4. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    settings>about phone will tell you what version you have. either way, you need to root to move files around like u want to

5. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou

Thank you,
    So far so good I'm definately rooted now and the proper functions are in Root Explorer.

Should I unroot after I make all changes for now or should leave it rooted for later?

6. Abe21599

Abe21599 Super Moderator
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +31
    just leave it rooted

7. gocflamedragon

Ratings:
    +0
    I see something no one else has, get rid of the antivirus app it causes a lot of problems in the long run, also get rid of any task killers you have. If it was a rep that told you to use them they're a bad rep with no knowledge of android.

8. FranklinWalker

Ratings:
    +0
    i cant wait to update to 2.2

9. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I definately have 2.2 and so far everything seems working great. I do have both antivirus and task killer -- everyone I know said I needed it to make sure I kept the number of running apps under control. I use it often cause I have a lot of apps and some are turning on when I don't want them to. If you wouldn't mind please elaborate on not needing a task killer. Should I worry about turning off unused apps? Should I just use the longer default way of turning off apps. Or just let the apps run? I'm going to take your word on the antivirus, it tried to flag some of my programs just cause they accessed root functions.

On another note, my next little project for the phone is to try and change what I've seen refferred to as the sdcard insert notification sound. Currently when the SDCARD mounts (either when I turn my phone on or when I plug/unplug my phone into a PC) I have the default DROID sound play. I might be totally off, but if I create a notification folder in the root directory of the SDCARD and put an .ogg sound file in there, would that possibly play a different sdcard status notification sound? Another post on a different forum gave me the idea last night. Has anybody already tried this? Is there a better way? Does anyone else want to figure out how to modify that notification sound?

I have already modified the Lock.ogg/Unlock.ogg and Dock.ogg/Undock.ogg files everything worked great. I'm pretty sure the notification sound file I'm looking for isn't in the UI folder of the phones systems/media/ui file. Is there another place to look? Can one be created like the above paragraph starts to explore?

10. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not tried.

11. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I feel the same way, my GF has the same phone. Her battery has been lasting less than mine and I have a ton of apps and things running, while she is trying not to run anything but bare essentials. I found out she was running her wifi all the time. Her battery seems to be doing better now that she changed that setting. She also had another network setting which I have turned off, but I'm not sure what setting it is. We have default factory widgets still up and it is two buttons to the right of the wifi switch and inbetween bluetooth and airplane modes. Has a picture of a satellite sending signal. Is this the TTY setting or something else? Also anyone know what TTY stands for and what it is used for?

12. Saaggs

Saaggs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have some more questions I can't find answers for so far,
    What is thhe difference between the calendar setting Alert and Stutus Bar Notification? Do thhey both play sounds? I set a ringtone for calendar, but I've never heard it go off.

Search tags for this page
change unlocl.ogg s4
newest signed su zip

su-2.3.1-bin-signed.zip

turning off unused apps galaxy s4 says may cause other thing