help!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by adtrx2012, Apr 22, 2010.

1. adtrx2012

adtrx2012 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to root my moto droid soon.
    I have a few questions.

What is a nandroid back up?

Sprecovery is what u use to load the roms or update.zip in the phone?

Please help me get a clue before I follow. The video I found to do all this with rsd lite and sp recovery

2. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa. Stay far away from RSDLite until you get your footing. That is a dangerous application that you are messing with.

And to answer your questions,

1. A nandroid backup is just a backup of your phone, found in /sdcard/nandroid or /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup on your phone.

2. SPRecovery is nice and does what you described, but ClockworkMod is much better and easier in the long run.

Go Here and follow the rooting steps only (1-9 I think), and then download ROM Manager from the market and do what it asks you to do (it will install ClockworkMod, which is the alternative to SPRecovery), from there everything is up to you, browse the Koush forum in the Droid Roms section of this website.

It will all be very easy once you get used to it.

OH, and if you are running 2.1 you will have to use RSDLite. Here is ye olde guide.

Good luck!

#2 Alex K., Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah RSD lite can completely make your phone into a paper wait with a keyboard. get some more info and expirence before you do anything.

4. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just worried he's done the "lack of information, oh sick an update" to 2.1 and now he has to .sbf back to 2.0.1. And here comes the fateful decision that everybody makes in their Droid career.

EDIT: ...and now looking at his phone info, he has to use RSD. :x

#4 Alex K., Apr 22, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  5. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS Active Member
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, even though its never really happend to brick a droid, cyanogen even say a good way to brick a phone is to mess around with the bootloader(which needs to be modified to flash RSDlite). im kinda dissapointed in the devs who make root that they cant just figure it out like the last time, its a pain for the people who have to RSD flash.

6. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the bootloader is at the tippy top of the tree, under hardware itself, of things that if you break, will cause the rest of the tree to collapse. I do know that changing the bootloader in RSD is dangerous, yet the C_01.3B.03P update should be even more dangerous, because it is done on the phone itself.

I just think that RSDLite should not be done by a n00bcake because of the tendency for USB connections to be severed, whether the computer shuts off or falls asleep, or the cable is unplugged. And the fact that you need RSDLite, and a separate driver to run the phone's bootloader just makes the process more complicated.

Eventually, things will be a lot easier though, once more droids start to break and need replaced.

7. adtrx2012

adtrx2012 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what rsd lite is and what it does and I do know it coould ruin everything but their is a video drom droid-life that walks you through it.

Hahah and that's what I'm making sure I'm not gonna do f my phone up. That's why I'm asking around

So any info is helpful thanx guys

8. adtrx2012

adtrx2012 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know what rsd lite is and what it does and I do know it coould ruin everything but their is a video drom droid-life that walks you through it.

Hahah and that's what I'm making sure I'm not gonna do f my phone up. That's why I'm asking around

So any info is helpful thanx guys

9. Alex K.

Alex K. Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, well then if you know the dangers, root and join the party :D

10. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Are there really people still out there who are not rooted and running something other than 2.1? Come on, people. Think before you post.

You either have to use RSD Lite to flash back to 2.0.1 or RSD LITE to flash a rooted 2.1 or RSD Lite SPRecovery bootloader. May as well get a stiff drink, relax and read up on RSD Lite or get used to stock. I guess you could wait for dumupdater to find a way to do the work for you. Snoor........

Nate

11. Droidlicous

Droidlicous Member

Ratings:
    +0
    RSD Lite isn't that hard to use, come on folks!!

12. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I know, huh? I figured it out and I'm not that smart.

The key is to make sure you have a full battery...a good USB cable...laptop plugged into wall chanrger. Don't diconnect it whiel it is working. Follow the steps. Don't mistype but even if you do likelihood of typing the command wrong and actually using a cvommand that would cause damage is very slim. So if it reports back an error...re-read what you typed vs what the step said to type and figure out what went wrong.

I did have a mishap in the middle of rooting my phone. I think I had just created the xbin directory and was copying something to it...or maybe I was at the install step...anyhow...the phone quit responding and rebooted on me. Weird thing is I did not freak out. I just went back a few steps and started over again. Nothing terrible happened. Nothing.

Granted, that was not during the RSD Lite flash...but come on, guys. Just because RSD Lite has the potential to fry your phone if a lightening bolt hits the Droid while using it is not reason to tell a noob he should not learn it. The key is to read and learn so you can do it right the first time. Or make sure you have a quick link to the Rescue Squad for help.

Nate