Help!!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by kdw11005, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kdw11005

kdw11005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    okay, it's my fault to begin with but....i tried to overclock my phone (followed the step by step instructions) and the files didn't all go into the sd card to begin with apparently. sunday i tried this, i followed the instructions to get back to stock (no root, no busybox) and i thought everything was ok. then i noticed that the icon for superuser permission is still on my phone & i cant get rid of it & yesterday my phone started acting a little weird (when i would go to check a message it would breifly flash my backgrounds, screens would change themselves for a second then go where i wanted it to) and today everything force closes. i went to make a phone call & fc, type a message & fc. today i formatted my sd card thinking it would wipe everything out and i could start over like it was brand new....that didn't work. my sd card is empty but my background and all my apps are still on my phone. is there someway to fix all this?! any help is appreciated!

2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Did you setup a recovery image before rooting and/or before attempting the overclock? [Mostly just posting to "bump" in an attempt to get you help...]

3. kdw11005

kdw11005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i don't think so. doesn't sound familiar. i followed the steps in on of the droid hacks trhreads...i cant seem to find it now but i do have it printed out. it had me download some files onto my computer first and install them into my sd card but i think that may be the problem. the first thing was update.zip which went into my sdcard, the second was flash_image, apparently that went on my phone somewhere but not the sdcard. i just want to know at this point if there's someway to take everything off my phone and start again if it were new out of the box. i have my pics on my computer, my contacts are written down so i can just wipe everything out. i'm scared to take it to verizon though since the superuser permission icon is on my phone they will know i was messing with it.

4. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Understandable. I know that a recovery image is the best way to get back to where you were, but if the directions you followed didn't include doing that, you'll have to wait for help from someone with more knowledge.

As for your contacts, as long as you left your sync options alone in the main menu/settings, your contacts are all stored in your g-mail account and will repopulate the phone once you get reset.

If you didn't, you could always go into your g-mail account from the computer to input them faster.

Best of luck!

5. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    There may be easier ways to do it, but here's what I would suggest as I believe this to a totally safe and sure way. Follow these instructions to a T. Do not push a single button until you've double and triple checked that what you've entered and are about to do exactly matches the instructions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...step-step-no-adb-involved-noob-challenge.html

This will assure that you have all the stuff you need to do the job safely and can return to stock if you need to. I would further suggest that you then go to Alldroid and find Pete's Bugless Beauty 7.2 and install it following his simple instructions. Install Setcpu and then you can very easily switch from 550, 800 and 950.

Good luck.

6. Jonny Kansas

Ratings:
    +8,435
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    I knew if I bumped this one long enough someone would come to the rescue!

Thanks Bayou!

7. kdw11005

kdw11005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the link posted by bayouflyfisher are the ones i followed to begin with.

8. kdw11005

kdw11005 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how do i ensure the files are going to the sdcard?

9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Download and install Astro. It's a file manager, if you don't already have one (but your question sort of suggests you do not). You can then simply check the SD card and see if they are there.

If you hook to the computer and use the info bar at the top of your droid screen to mount your sd card, you can then use windows explorer to check what's on the SD card.

Good luck.

10. BullDroid

BullDroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What you need to do is stop messing with your phone becuase you have absolutely no idea what you are doing! 99% of all the threads out there tell you to MAKE A NANDROID BACKUP before you do ANYTHING to your phone. You probably don't even have the right recovery image installed? Do you have SPrecovery installed. .99.2b i think it is? you should really follow the instructions on the thread of how to return your phone to stock (no busybox, no superuser, etc.) and do a full wipe and factory restore (the option to do this is in the recovery console) You should really really really read up first before you attempt to do anything else to your phone.

11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Exactly what I was making a big deal out of yesterday. Read all the instructions before you do this. Otherwise you can end up in a mess.

12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    KDW,

There are a couple of things going on here that the folks who want to help will need clarification on. As you said you tried the OC, that implies you had/have sprecovery and root. Then you said you did some steps to get your phone back to stock. I thinkwe need to know which level of recovery you have to figure out what to do, based on where you want to go. In general the sd card is only a holding place for pictures, some data from some market apps, backups and a place to store update files temporarily until you use them for restoring "things" you do to the phone. It is "technically" not needed that you mess with it to have a properly functioning phone.

As to determining which recovery you have, sprecovery 2b or stock, you determine this by first turning off the phone. Then slide open the keyboard, hold the letter x down, and hit the power button (simultaneously) until you see the motorola M. Have you done this before and are you comfortable doing this?

When you do this you will either see the stock recovery image which is the android figure with the golden exclamation looking symbols OR you will get the sprecovery which has as the second line "patched by SirPsycoS (0.99.2b). This will let the folks know which version you have.

In either menu you use the d-pad on the keyboard to carefully arrow up or down to reboot the phone. Arrow to the reboot prompt, and press the center down to reboot the phone. Don't do anything else, just reboot, and report back to the folks here.

Craig