1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Samsung Fascinate Development' started by ronsullivan76, Mar 6, 2011.

1. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

I'll happily admit that I'm a noob and I NEVER should have done this. After having a couple of android fanatics puffing their chest out about how easy it was to toss Froyo on a phone, I tried it and now I'm stuck.

I have a Samsung Fascinate on Verizon's network. I follow the instructions I found and now I'm stuck staring at some boot up and recover screen. What I can't do is select any of the options give to me.

I'm starting at the following screen:

Android System Recovery <3e> after using Odin3 v1.00
    All:
    I used Odin3 v100 to load Android 2.2 ROM

I followed the following steps
    i9000XXJP2 Instructions
    1. Remove the battery from your phone
    2. Remove the SIM Card and MicroSD Card from your phone
    (However, since it's a verizon phone, I had no sim card)
    3. Place the battery back on the phone
    4. Hold down the HOME button, Volume Down button, and Power On button
    5. You should now see a Download screen
    6. Open Odin 3 v1.0
    7. Click on the button “PIT” and load the “s1_odin_20100512.pit” file
    8. Click on the button “PDA” and load the “I9000XXJP2-REV03-PDA-CL464213.tar” inside of the firmware download’s .rar file.
    9. Click on the button “Phone” and load the “MODEM_I9000XXJP2.tar” inside of the firmware download’s .rar file.
    10. Click on the button “CSC” and load the “GT-I9000-CSC-MULTI-OXAJP2.tar” inside of the firmware download’s .rar file.
    11. Click the checkbox next to: “Re-Partition”
    12. Your settings should now look like Figure #2
    13. Plug your phone into your computer with USB Debugging on
    14. Look at the gallery below to see if everything is going right
    15. Once done, your phone will boot up
    And now the phone Rebooted and I get the following message “update media, plase waite E:Cant mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (invaild argument) E: copy_dbdata_media:Can't mount SDCARD: you storage not prepared yet. plase use UI menu for format and reboot actions. copy default media contenr failed.”

I can get my phone to the option above and I can still get to download mode so I don't think I'm "bricked"

The options I have are
    Enter: OK Key, Select : Vol UP /Vol Down
    Reboot system now
    Applysdcard:update.zip
    Wipe date/factory reset
    Wipe cache partition
    Format internal sd-card
    The Volume rocket works to move between the above options but I can't use the “OK” key nor any other to select an action

Someone please please help me! Even if I can just reset it to where I was before, I honestly don't think I'm far along enough that I can't undo what I did, I just don't know how ...

I really really need a hand and will be eternally grateful for any help
  2. hoppermi

hoppermi New Member

Wow. Um. you shouldn't have done that. You don't have an i9000, you have a Fascinate or I-500. If you can get to download mode then follow the directions in this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html and install a system taht was meant for your phone:) Good Luck
  3. vmax76

vmax76 New Member

It seems as if you are using the wrong set of instructions for the Fascinate. The i900 is actually the Captivate (I believe) on AT&Ts network, which is why they mention to pull the SIM card. The Fascinate is i500. Therefore you may want to look into doing a Odin back to stock, and start all over.
  4. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

Speaking very generally, is it safe to assume that I DID NOT brick the phone and this is correctable?
  5. vmax76

vmax76 New Member

I'm a noob myself, so I can't say for sure or not? All I know, is that the devs constantly say NEVER to use the "Phone" button within Odin. Always use the PDA button when working with Fascinate(I500). Hopefully you can re-use Odin to flash back to stock atleast? Then you can start flashing Roms through CWM recovery from now on.
  6. vmax76

vmax76 New Member

7. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

does an md5 file need to be extracted first or does it plug into PDA in Odin as is?
  8. vmax76

vmax76 New Member

not sure. I believe everything is included in the package? I've only used Odin once, to root it and flash Clockwork Recovery. been using Clockwork ever since, to flash any ROM I've downloaded since then.
  9. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 New Member

Can you get into download mode?
    If you can flash this in ODIN after extracting it....when you download it it will be in .rar form, extract it and it will extract the .tar.md5 you need for ODIN

Super Clean version 2.6 - EB01/EB16 Froyo leak root+Froyo Clockworkmod w/Nonvoodoo eb16 kernel w/ dummy tether module
    RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT EXTRACT HERE THE .rar file AFTER DOWNLOADING AND BEFORE USING(How to extract in post #2) -->EB16SC26_DXC.tar

Heres the thread as previously posted: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...roms-w-root-new-clockwork-updated-2-11-a.html
  10. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

I can get into download mode, however, as I described above, I DID already try and install a "modem" file to the phone. If I'm now trying to only push that PDA file onto the phone, do I need to somehow "correct" the modem file that shouldn't be there?

Is there any way I can just wipe the whole thing and just factory reset it as it was out of the box? I don't even care about Froyo at this point (although if I'm in this deep anyway, maybe it's just as easy to install it).

Thank you again to everyone for the guidance. Again, this was colossally stupid of me to monkey around with. Everything I'd read made this sound like it was a ton simpler then it actually is.
  11. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

Odin is failing to flash the .tar file. Do I need to be using a .pit file as well like I did the first time around?
  12. ronsullivan76

ronsullivan76 New Member

Now Odin just seems to be staring at me at:

"SetupConnection .."
  13. TAPOUT27

TAPOUT27 New Member

PIT files are not needed on the Fascinate to use ODIN
  14. Jerome900

Jerome900 New Member

Ron, did u get it all fixed

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App
  15. ireash

ireash New Member

Worked better for me when I pulled the battery plugged the phone into the computer and putting it into download mode. Odin then kept going after that.
  16. Vyvid

Vyvid New Member

I had this issue. Are you sure you're in DL mode? I had the same issue.. But its because I thought I was in dl mode but I had actually just booted into recov.

U see the big yellow triangle with the droid guy sweeping a little pile?

Also, I'm an uber noob, and I had probs until I followed tapout's EB01 WALKTHROUGHS thread (don't know how to link it via my phone) worked like a dream.

Oh and don't say you never should have done it. Just gotta tinker with it till you get it right. Between here and XDA I'm convinced you could run over your phone after flushing it down the toilet and they'd still have a fix or workaround for it lol

Sent from a SuperClean Galaxy far, far away.
  17. DaleV

DaleV New Member

I followed the following steps
    i9000XXJP2 Instructions

Not a Noob but when I went to the Fascinate i was so exited about the possibilities that without paying attention, I DID THE EXACT SAME THING, and no just odin wont fix it. You need heimdall
    here.
    HTML:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0zpydb4mt5o8vo3
    here is the pit file to repartition
    HTML:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?y5f27zpsf7y74ca
    and the files:
    HTML:
    https://www.dropbox.com/browse_plain/Share
    just unzip and place in proper slot.
    pit=pit file above
    factoryfs=factoryfs.rfs
    database data=dbdata.rfs
    Primary bootloader=boot.bin
    secondary bootloader=slb.bin
    the rest are self explanitory, and you will leave out movinand.bin there is no where to put it. once you get at least the right samsung logo you can move to odin and use the pit and ebo1 zip file dont unzip, and repartition, should work fine. but use this odin it works best for this:
    HTML:
    http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?t093btu771q0bgi
    I will be monitoring this thread until around 10pm eastern time, just in case you need some help.

make sure after you unzip heimdall you go into the drivers folder and run zadig and click options, list all devices, with phone plugged into PC, then in the drop box for usb devices, install those for your phone or it will not work. Then use heimdall-frontend and follow along using this post as your guide where files go if you need to. after it is booting and you go to odin you need to let your phone re install the correct drivers on your PC again, should be automatic, then you need to restart PC, sometimes odin hangs up if you don't.