Help! Won't Boot Because No Launcher!

wierdo124

Reaction score
Yeah, i'm pretty smart. I am running UD1.0.0. It comes stock with LauncherPro. I tried to update LP via the Market and it failed. In my infinite stupidity i thought, HUH, lets just uninstall and reinstall! Well i uninstalled, and now it won't install. I have no launcher. So, i tried to reboot. I'm stuck at the boot animation.

So i am sure there's gotta be some way to do this. Is it possible to install LauncherPro via an Update.zip? If so, could someone hook me up with said update.zip?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Then you'd rather not get your phone back. Reload the update.zip on your SD card, get into SPRecovery/Clockwork, allow and then install. No wiping needed.

OP
W

wierdo124

Reaction score
I actually tried that just before i read your post. I thought you meant i had to wipe.

It's back! all my texts etc are still there. That's a relief.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Oh heck no. :) I should have been more clear in my first post. I apologize. The only way to get a launcher on is to reflash it. What you can do now is install ADW (or your choice since I understand there's another aftermarket one) and set it as default THEN remove LauncherPro.

OP
W

wierdo124

Reaction score
Thanks a ton :)

So then, what exactly does reinstalling without wipe do? Just replace any non-existing data?

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
In practice I'd have to say "pretty much". What it does is overwrites the files that are there with the ones that came originally with the ROM -- in this case you were overwriting empty space and the exact same files that were already there. The reason why you wipe is to make sure all the stuff that's in those areas is as virgin as possible before you violate it with non-standard data (you brute ;)). If you don't wipe you risk a file or a file chunk sticking around and gumming up the works.

Did UD come with an app pack? If so you don't need to flash that. If not then you should double-check to make sure your apps don't need updating again.

OP
W

wierdo124

Reaction score
No it didn't.

At any rate, i installed ADW and did the routine to get LauncherPro to work, and it is now. Running 0.8.1.1. Glad i am too, ADW is absurdly slow on my Droid.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
And it's lightning fast on mine. :) It's always amazing to me just HOW different everyone's Droid is.

Glad it's fixed for you. If you ever run into any other problems, just remember the Rescue Squad is here to help!