Help with wife's upgrade

ZBacks

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade her S4 that is starting to show its age. From what I can tell the S6 and Motorola Turbo are the newest flagships. Which would be a good on to upgrade to? Open to other phones too if there is a better choice out there.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Well, if she really liked her S4 then S6 would be the easiest transition for her.

Best thing to do (which works with my girlfriend): Bring her into the store and have her mess around with the phones to see what she feels more comfortable with. Sometimes flagships aren't always the best. Of course, everyone is different. My girlfriend is super picky but she somehow wants to defer to me for the 'expert opinion.' She always ends up buying HTC's flagship anyways...

Anyways, try out the S6 if she really wants to stay with a Samsung phone and if you want to feel adventurous try the other ones based on what her tastes are.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
+1 if she liked the S4 she will love the S6.

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
She liked her S3, has not liked the S4.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Has she done the system update on the S4? Because my wife got tired of her s3 around the time I got the Note 4, so I gave her my old s4. She was complaining about it a bit, but not as bad as the s3. Then, she got the lollipop update and got excited about it like a new phone again.

Anyway, if she likes the latest system update to the s4 better than how it was previously, that's more in line with what the s6 will be like, though, obviously, the s6 has some better hardware and fancier features baked in.

If she's not a tech nut like many of us are here, the s6 really probably is the way to go, considering she's had 2 Samsung Galaxy phones in a row so far. Many people don't like Samsung's touchwiz interface, but after you've become accustomed to it's added features, it's hard to give up the few that are actually useful.

No matter what, I can't agree more with the idea to take her in to the store and let her play with a few different devices for a bit and see if she stumbles onto something she really likes about one over the other.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
If she is on her phone a lot, the battery life on the S6 will not impress her. She can get an S5 for free on contract, and it will easily last her all day with heavy usage.
My wife got an S4 from her employer. She likes it, but she still prefers her S5 in every category.
That said, if she doesn't mind charging the device throughout the day, she'll definitely be impressed with the S6.
Good luck & let us know what she decides.

S5 tap'n

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
Has she done the system update on the S4? Because my wife got tired of her s3 around the time I got the Note 4, so I gave her my old s4. She was complaining about it a bit, but not as bad as the s3. Then, she got the lollipop update and got excited about it like a new phone again.

Anyway, if she likes the latest system update to the s4 better than how it was previously, that's more in line with what the s6 will be like, though, obviously, the s6 has some better hardware and fancier features baked in.

If she's not a tech nut like many of us are here, the s6 really probably is the way to go, considering she's had 2 Samsung Galaxy phones in a row so far. Many people don't like Samsung's touchwiz interface, but after you've become accustomed to it's added features, it's hard to give up the few that are actually useful.

No matter what, I can't agree more with the idea to take her in to the store and let her play with a few different devices for a bit and see if she stumbles onto something she really likes about one over the other.
She is getting used to the update, at first she hated it.

What she doesn't like about the 4 is how buggy it's been. It seems like from day one it has had issues, now it runs hot for no reason and also freezes or runs slow in general. The other day it actually forced itself to shutdown due to overheating, we were in our air conditioned house at the time.

All she really does on the phone is text, take pictures and check in on Facebook from time to time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Did she do a factory reset after taking the update? That should clear up many of these problems.

S5 tap'n
Agreed, though the s4 is known to run kinda hot when doing intense things like navigating/etc, a factory reset after such a large update can fix many issues.

OP
Z

ZBacks

Reaction score
Haven't done a reset, is there a easy way to back up everything so she doesn't loose any info or data?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Samsung has software for the PC called Kies that can backup quite a bit. I've never actually used it to do so, but many members have.

@KaosMaster is kind of the resident expert on the processes.

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Agreed. KIES would be your best bet. I haven't used it since my Fascinate days, but it's been greatly improved over the years and from what I've heard, a great tool for backing everything up in one fell swoop. (As opposed to backing everything up separately)

S5 tap'n