Help with Twitter

sal33n

Reaction score
Okay, so I decided to try to jump on the twitter bandwagon and understand it. I still don't get what the difference is between Twitter and things like Facebook. Anyways I cannot find any help on the Twitter App on my Droid1. I don't understand what the icons do. I can't even figure out how to follow someones tweets. Can anyone help me at least do that??? lol

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Twitter. It's pretty easy to understand once you do understand it. Most poeple don't post "waking up, going to the bathroom..." anymore. It's more advanced. In fact Dell computers ran some specials and made millions from twitter.

The easiest way to find someone to follow is go to their website or blog. You'll usually see some place that says "follow me" and some icons. The 'T' is twitter, 'F' is facebook, etc. it will direct you to twitter, you sign in (if you need to) and click Follow. You can find some on yoru local tv new channels (I follow the weather one for my area) or newspapers too.
You can also search for specific people and place on twitter. Celebs usually use their name and it will say something like "verified" or "cerified" which means it's the actual celeb.
I liked to follow engadget. A few articles are reposted here on DF. GoogleMobile is another good one.

You can then send Tweets too. I don't send many. Just whatever you want. 140 characters or less.
Retweet is a forwarded tweet. If you like a tweet, think it's informative, etc., you can choose to Retweet.

You do not have to follow everyone who is following you. Or even very many people. I have some "ads" that follow me but I don't want their ads so I just ignore them and don't follow them.

Icons:
Tweets--messages from people on Twitter
Lists--any lists of people you or someone else creates that you follow
Mentions--if anyone mentions you (such as in a Follow Friday list)
Retweets--If you want to see these exclusively
Messages--I guess if someone sends you a message
My Profile--you, your pic, etc. I'd suggest keeping it to a minimum.
Trends--Just whatever everyone is talking about. people add a hash mark (#) before a word and it may trend, or what others are talking a lot about. Not always the hash marked words either. For example, #honeycomb is trending. you can click on it and see what others are saying about it.
Search--you can search twitter (never used it so that's what I think it's for).

You can also see what others have retweeted or what's trending and click on their profile and tweets. If you like them you can follow them.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
OP
S

sal33n

Reaction score
Thank you for your post! So, lets say I want to follow Verizon Wireless how do I do that from the Droid App or do you initiate it from the pc only? I saw the article earlier about Verizon Tweeting that the Thunderbolt may be out sooner than expected so I thought I would follow Verizon for example. I see nothing in the app where you add someone to your list of tweeters you want to follow. Am I making any sense?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I just tried the Search feature. Typed in Verizon. There were 2 chocies, vzwoffers and verizon. Both had the Verizon logo and so looked legit.

If you long press on it bring up that last tweet. Then long press the icon/name at the top. It will load user info. This will tell you about the "user". Again, I'd suggest looking at the Tweets it's sent out to see if it's worth following. vzwoffers took too long to come up, so I closed it out.
you can also find them on the PC too.

Oh, you can always Unfollow someone.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Something else that may help those who need help with twitter, similar to what I wrote but longer and somewhat better... it's by Twitter...

Twitter 101: How should I get started using Twitter?

another idea, search for something like, "top people to follow on twitter", it lists several people to choose from, choose those you want to follow. You can usually read their Tweets before you choose to follow them.

Also search for Safety on Twitter or Safe on Twitter or something like that. This might give you suggestions on being safe on twitter. My first name only shows up on twitter (that's just my choice and preference).

Last edited: