help with the droid x

gospursgo2002

Reaction score
hey guys, I've owned a og droid, and currently a tbolt, but my co-worker just got a droid x (why idk when the tbolt had just come out) but he did. Anyway one thing I love, is even he, with no tech back ground at all or understanding of blur or bloatware, is complaining about battery, bloat, and sluggishness, so I decided to root it. I got root pretty fast, but now am sort of lost trying to play catch up.

What i know so far is I have to use bootstrap which im guessing you get from the market.

Second bootstrap does work with rom manager... (i think) so my confusion here is download and install bootstrap then install/run rom manager?

Then finally the "roms" out there. I was thinking taking him to gingerbread but there are some issues still with it as far as stability goes, so since its not my phone I think ill pass. So with that said what are the more popular froyo roms out there for the X. Being new to the scene and having a hard enough time keeping up with Tbolt Development, Im definitely behind here. I may simply just de-bloat his phone, but just trying to figure out what options are here.

KaliniuS

Reaction score
I hear your pain. My mother in law got a Droid X and was always complaining that it would stop responding and be sluggish. All I did for her was download and set up Go Launcher EX since the stock launcher is so gittery and unresponsive. So far, so good.

The only concern I'd have rooting a friend's phone is that they will probably lose root when an OTA update is released, causing them to come back to you to get the phone back to the way it was. With root acces, the two most important apps for an average user is SetCPU and CacheMate. They are invaluable. I'm still using and loving my original Droid.

stevek

Reaction score
Well, for what it's worth, I've had a Droid X since it first came out, and have stuck with the 'official' OS, now on 2.3.340. since about the second OS upgrade, I've had no battery issues. I use this mostly as a phone, not a music player, and don't do much in the way of video watching. I usually charge overnight every night, but I think that is just habit. I never have a battery problem within the 24 hour charging cycle, and only sometimes if I have forgotten to do the overnight charge. I have chargers at home, in my car, and at work if I have forgotten to do the charge, and also purchased a couple of extra OEM batteries for cheap that I carry on trips in case i forget or can't get to a charger. I think the whole rooting community is cool, but figure the best of the best will eventually be incorporated into the OS. ....until my phone become obsolete, which I guess it already is..............................

Reaction score
Danger! Root your friends phone, and he becomes rooted until it breaks. Teach your friend to root, and you can do other things besides fix your friend's phone. There will come a time when something will go awry with that phone, and you won't be there to fix it... he needs to learn about root himself.