Help with system apps and such

Discussion in 'ShadowROM' started by Squadalah_man, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

mountain view, callifornia (home of google and the
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is written... that I need help.

There is all this market mayhem going on so I might as well stay out of that and focus on cleaning up my system and asking questions.

Google recently put out market updates for gmail, youtube, carhome, and other stuff that is/was in the system.
    Now I have moved those apps out so I could replace them with the new ones and expect that google will be having them in the data from now on for easy updating and not so much otas to upgrade apps.

Now I have been screwing around with system apks. and experimenting with aps2sd. We all know this can cause problems potentialy with widgets and whatnot... and I got that fixed up sort of. Even if I wipe data and cache, I still have the apps I don't want in the system apps (obviously) and I move them and it works and then its all good. However...... there are copies of apps all over the place like com.android.pandora-1.apk

What do all these apps that are -1 and -2 about? And what's with that partition in the root cald "mnt" it looks like it contains my whole sdcard?

Squadala we are off!

2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +455
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    mnt = mounted, as in mounted device/drive. So, /system would be internal memory/system directory, and mnt would be mounted drive/gobbledgook/something/something else/why am I still doing this/I don't know/this stopped being funny a long time ago/your file here.

Ever make a copy of a file in Windows and not rename it? You end up with a folder full of "untitled.txt" and "untitled(2).txt" and so on. I'm assuming it's the same thing because I tend to leave well enough alone. :)

On another note, some ROMs allow you to move EVERYTHING to the SD card except the system apps to free up internal memory. No mucking about with the 3rd party apps and all that.

3. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was aware of these things, except the whole mount thing. I would like to know what original apps were in the the system if I had never touch It. And what should I do when I want to theme an app if there are all these copies? I mostly just want to know how to theme the apks, widgets, and so on. Sometimes I wonder why there is no sticky theming guide. Using drop theme right now, only frameworkres and system apps have been themed.

Squadala we are off!

4. droidman101

droidman101 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The ones with -1 and such are copies from the market, "updated apps" you can say
    /mnt/sdcard is basically a different way of going into /sdcard, but it isn't just a copy, its where its mounted for apps2sd
    To theme, wipe data/cache and install the rom+gapps again, reboot, and apply a theme

sent from my shadowROM droid :)

5. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much.... now why the heck have I not seen this before? It should be stickied. Froyo is a maze in root explorer

So what about apps that are already in my system, they seem to stay there even afer I flash. Its weird. I mess around too much I supose... lol

Squadala we are off!

6. billygalbreath

Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    /mnt is a default linux directory to mount certain hard devices. any subfolder in there is the mount point for the devices.

/sdcard is simply a symlink to /mnt/sdcard - they are both the exact same mount point to the same device, it is not two devices with two copies of everything.

/data/app/ is where all userspace apps are stored (things you install/update from market)

/system/app/ is where all system apps belong - this space is not writable by default to users. You should only move apps out of this dir if you know what you are doing.

To further understand how to easily move apps between system, data, and sdcard, please see this post:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/shadowrom/92501-problems-downloading-new-youtube.html#post948095

7. Squadalah_man

Squadalah_man Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I already understood those things, but thank you for explaining mnt and the sdcard on it. I guess I have been messing around with stuff that I really didn't need to heh. I figured mnt was the same as sdcard since all that stuff couldn't possibly fit in the internal storage. And its not a bunch of ghost files either.

Squadala we are off!