Help with Swiping (or flicking)

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by mrtrumpet, Dec 31, 2009.

1. mrtrumpet

mrtrumpet New Member

I love this phone but am having one big problem. When trying to "flick" up or down a page I usually manage to select a program or app that then opens up. Quite a pain.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a proper technique, or place on the screen to do this? Of, if one has fat fingers, is one SOL?

Thanks
  2. Droidster163

Droidster163 New Member

I just gently tap and hold the screen and run my finger across the screen. Maybe tapping the screen quickly?
  3. allikanbe

allikanbe Member

Try gently touching a BLANK spot on the screen and moving it.
  4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach New Member

I do this a lot. I can't tell you how many things I have accidentally "Liked" while scrolling through touch.facebook.com. :)
  5. recDNA

recDNA New Member

I have the same problem in contacts. Whenever I try to scroll I invaribly select one - and sometimes the phone dials the number! There are no "blank" spots on the contacts list. I try to grab that square thingy on the left of the vertical list but sometimes I still select a contact I don't want.
  6. droiddict

droiddict New Member

Rather than flick or swipe, think touch and move. A light touch selects but if you put your finger down with authority and move it in the direction you want the screen to go, it will not select an item like a light flick or not firm enough swipe will. Another suggestion--think of a piece of paper that you are sliding along the screen. Touch and slide it up or down. Hope that helps.
  7. bbtkd

bbtkd Member

This is something difficult to describe how to do, and you tend to get better over time. Still I find apps where there is absolutely no blank space that does not select something, and if you are too authoritative it is interpreted as a 'long press' selection.
  8. mrtrumpet

mrtrumpet New Member

Thanks to all who responded. The "touch and move" (touch with authority) works great! I've only had one incident of an unwanted opening since adopting this technique! Now if I can only master Swype, which seems like an absolutely awesome way to enter text!
  9. korp

korp New Member

I just hit the search button sometimes ... fat finger syndrome hits at the worst times.
  10. serialtoon

serialtoon New Member

This is some good information. Sometimes i swipe down or up on text and the screen goes crazy like it was having a hard time registering my swipes.
  11. luckmylife

luckmylife New Member

I hit the search button all the time... VERY annoying! My fingers are pretty slim... maybe I just have fat finger tips?

I do find that with this touch screen you have to be very firm in what you want, even just switching from screen to screen on the homepage. If you've ever played with and iPod touch you'll definitly feel the difference.

LOL I really like that term: Touch with Authority
  12. cuesport

cuesport New Member

Definately, the firm touch and slide works much better. It was a real pain in my neck before. Love this forum!!
Search tags for this page
motorola droid no swiping
swipe vs. flick android

text by swiping