Help with rooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tu3218, May 30, 2010.

1. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I know I posted this in hacking help, but more people are viewing here. I'm using the guide over at droid life and Ive followed all the instructions exactly and I got to the point where I click install /sdcard/update.zip and when I click it, at the bottom right away it said install from sdcard complete then the bar gradually went up to about a quarter of the way then stopped. What do I do? What happned in the tutorial video isnt what happened to me.
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Have you rebooted your phone yet?
  3. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

yeah I did, I just took the risk and it turned out alright. I have no idea why it did that on my phone when I did the exact same steps as the guy in the video. thanks for the response.
  4. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

So I tired running setcpu and wifi tether and both of them don't work. It appears that I still don't have root access the the update.zip didn't work. Any suggestions? Do I have to install a rom to get the root access and be able to use these programs?
  5. myfast_gti

myfast_gti New Member

Get ROM manager off the market (free)... I'm runing Cyanogen 5.0.7.1 (most current)... that should get you where you want. After that you can install themes and whatnot. If you do the paid version of ROM manager you can get Bugless beast and a few other ROMs.

Make sure to back up!
  6. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I just realized I had an "update" already on my sdcard from when I did droidmod rom on my old droid. So when I went into install update etc, it did that update an that's why it didn't work. Now I removed that old "update" an now I just have the new update(from the droid life tutorial) on the root of my sdcard. Should I now just go into the install section do the allow update an then go down click install?
  7. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Yes, all you should have to do is boot into recovery, allow update, and then install. Make sure you wipe data/cache first
  8. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I'm confused about naming it. When I watched the video, when the guy put his update in his sdcard it said "update.zip". So I did exactly that but now when I go into to the allow and then the update part, it says the file can't be found. Should the zip be shown or is that already part of the name its just not shown an I actually have update.zip.zip?
  9. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

I aways name mine 'update' since my computer adds the extension for me. Take off the .zip and see if that works for you
  10. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

okay I'm gonna go ahead an try that, ill post back.
  11. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

awesome it worked! I just figure since the guy in the video was running windows 7, as am I, it would have been the same thing. Now it said it installed bugless beast, but in the video it said it was stock 2.1 rom? I'm not sure what that means, but do you recomend the cyanogen rom?
  12. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 DF Super Moderator

Yes just type in 'update' if you add the .zip it will be .zip.zip. that's what gets most people and remember to pull up your AP tray and check for the ninga. If you see him your good. And a triple check is go to terminal emulator and type in su you will be prompted to allow if rooted if not all you get is error.
  13. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Congrats..welcome to the darkside. I assume you have the ninja in your app drawer. Bugless Beast works the best on my phone but my wife is running Cyanogen with no issues. If you are just looking to overclock and maybe wifi tether all you need is a custom kernel. If you are looking for a full Rom you should download ROM manager from the market. It's a few dollars but well worth it because it makes flashing ROMS and themes a lot easier.
  14. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

thank!! Yeah my primary reason for rooting was to overclock and wifi tether. But I know I'll probably end up downloading other roms. On my old droid, I used droidmod an there wasn't much updating to it as it seems there is for these other roms. But as far as downloading roms from rom manager, is it easy switching between roms and every time I switch, do I need to reset my phone?
  15. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 DF Super Moderator

Rom manager does it for you. Very user friendly. I am also running Bugless beast v1.1 with a 1.1 kernal very fast and smooth. I am also using launcher pro look in to that also. Best of luck.
  16. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

Yes you should wipe data/cache every time you switch ROMS so you can ensure a clean install. You can do a backup of your current ROM right from ROM manager and name it to make it easier to get back to the right one if you ever need to. You should back up all your ROMS before you switch to another one. If you are just looking for a kernel to overclock P3 kernels are a great choice P3Droid Kernels.
  17. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

I'd rather just install the best rom now. Whats the best rom for speed an has good battery life. That probably is a vague question but overal, what does everyone use? I'm guessing its between bugless beast, and ultimate droid. Whats the best one?
  18. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

For me you can't go wrong with Bugless Beast but every ROM tends to run differently on every phone. I also had good luck with UD 9.8 but couldn't get UD NewEra to run correctly. You also have to decide which kernel you want to run on the phone. I started at 800mhz which ran very smooth but now I run 1.2ghz which really moves. Again, every phone is different and some can't handle the 1.2 or 1.3 and will constantly force close. You will have to find out what you are comfortable with and what your phone works best with. You might want to start with the 800 or even 1.0. Always use the kernel that the dev recommends with their ROM. Some want you to use the P3 kernel while another one may use bekits. You can get all these on ROM manager. Cyanogen ROM has the most themes as you will see in ROM manager. Welcome to the addiction:icon_ banana:

Always remember to have a good charge on the phone before flashing a Rom. If you don't have at least 40% throw it on the charger for a while.
  19. tu3218

tu3218 New Member

thanks warrior!! where do I find the kernels at? I see all the roms and for example I clicked cyanogen and saw all the different versions but I didn't know what kernel they were.

EDIT: I found the different kernels after I purchased the premium. Now as far as making backups, should I make them in SPRecovery or ClockworkRecovery?
  20. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

You will be using clockwork since that's what ROM manager uses. If you boot into recovery it will be clockwork instead of sprecovery now. You can always switch back to sprecovery from ROM manager but I haven't had to do that for any reason. When you flash a ROM it will give you the option to back up existing rom and wipe data/cache. You can check both boxes just to be sure. It will automatically boot into recovery and back up your existing rom and then wipe and install the new one.