Help with rooting, and upgrade

leptserkhan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have a Verizon Motorola Droidx phone and rooted it some time ago. Now -- as of July 15, 2011 -- I am receiving messages about updating. The update proceeds and then fails to install. Well, doh, I know that would be the case with a rooted phone.

Here are my details as provided by "About Phone" link:
Model: DroidX
Android Version: 2.2.1
System Version: 2.3.340

I also have installed:
Rom Manager installed: V4.3.2.4
Super Manager also installed.

I'm a bit foggy on how to do the upgrade without compromising (read: bricking) the phone and I could use some pointers. I would like to retain root but also need the latest and greatest.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.. :icon_ banana:

OP
L

leptserkhan

Reaction score
Hi Princess!

Help me out a bit... what does OTA mean and I never unrooted ever after having rooted. I don't know how to "unroot".

Thanks again.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
She's asking if you manually updated or are attempting to do the update OTA (over the air) the way a normal update would be pushed to a stock phone.

OP
L

leptserkhan

Reaction score
Hi Christim and thanks for clearing up the OTA mystery for me.

I have not yet completed the Over The Air upgrade as the Droid downloads it over the air, the attempts to install it, then fails. So the answer is, I guess, OTA.

Regarding the steps 1,2,3 above, since I already have Android Version: 2.2.1, do I need to go through the step 1, above, Stock 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo? Isn't Android Version 2.2.1 Froyo already?

I already have a current backup on the Droidx, do I need to move it off the phone onto a computer for safety purposes?

You say, in 3, above, SBF to root and unroot. Okay, what is SBF? And if I go from root to unroot, how do I get root back after the OTA?

Thank you. dancedroid

Suuperflie

Reaction score
Just rooted my phone a couple hrs ago. Still have su but I still can't uninstall the preloaded apps like facebook and amazon mp3. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You will need to use Root Explorer or another program to uninstall. I recommend Bloat Freezer to freeze the apps in case you need to do an update.

To the OP, if you unroot and accept the OTA, you will not be able to root again. I would download the rooted 2 part .596 files from Team Blackhat. Then use Droid2 bootstrap to install them.

That way you will have root and Gingerbread.

Liberty Justice

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Just rooted my phone a couple hrs ago. Still have su but I still can't uninstall the preloaded apps like facebook and amazon mp3. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

There are bloat freezer apps in the market u can try. However I do not recommend uninstalling in case of future OTA updates. I suggest freezing the apps only.

ALOHA from the Hawaiian D2G / DX / Xoom

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said, Bloat Freezer is great. The developer is awesome and is quick to respond to any issues. I worked with him getting it ready for GB and I have nothing but good things to say about him and his app

Liberty Justice