Help with potential brick.....

Matte242

Reaction score
So, I bought a Droid X online that I knew couldn't load past the boot loader. I have another Droid X and have had this issue before, so I bought it thinking that it would be an easy fix. All I would have to do is SBF it back to stock and shazam! Not the case. I have tried everything that I can think of and need some help. I will start with what it currently does.

When I boot it up, I get the red Motorola logo, then it goes straight into the boot loader and says:
Bootloader
Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

At first I decided to sbf. I tried using RSD Lite versions 4.7, 4.8, and 4.9 on my Vista PC, but also tried on Windows 7 and an XP virtual machine using 4.7. Always working on a fully charged battery. I have uninstalled all the drivers and reinstalled from USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA
All attempts gave the same results. The sbf I was using was VRZ_MB810_4.5.596_1FF_01.sbf from https://sites.google.com/site/1kdsdroidx/home
I tried redownloading the file from this site (since I know that it works and have used on my othe Droid X) also downloaded the same sbf from another forum.

It builds the image, then pushes it to the phone. It gets to 99% of flashing the sbf and then reboots the phone saying "SW Update Complete" and it boots back into tbe bootloader. Then I get an error in RSD saying:
Failed flashing process. Failed flashing process. Phone[0000]: Error switching phone to BP Pass through mode (0x70BE); phone connected
At this point I pulled the battery, went into recovery, wiped data/factory reset and cleared the cache. When I reboot, it boots into the bootloader with the error from above.

I have tried other sbf files like the 2.3.340. All of them the full sbf and not just the system. I tried copying my update.zip folder from my working Droid X to this one and updating it that way. It goes through and gets almost to the end (at updating radio image) and gives this error:
assert failed: motorola.update_cdma_bp("/tmp/rdl.bin", "/tmp/bp.img")
E:Error in /sdcard.update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

I tried a couple update.zip files from other post, all with the same error. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can try the Linux sbf method, using 1KDS' Linux CD. Its supposed to be pretty foolproof

SSX v2.0

OP
Matte242

Matte242

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that.....I used the bootable cd that runs the script as well as sbf in ubuntu. Both of them completed without error, but when the phone boots back up......back to the bootloader.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

vvildcard

Reaction score
I bet you would have better luck with your question if you posted in the Droid X forum...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

OP
Matte242

Matte242

Reaction score
Whoops...good call...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OnoSendi

Reaction score
Is the SBF full, including bootloader, or system files only? Try finding another SBF. Can you boot into recovery? If so, clear cache/data then try reboot.

Reaction score
<EDIT>
Try this first: If your phone is still in the state mentioned in the thread above, pull the charge cord and reboot the phone and see if that solves the issue.
</EDIT>

Try following all instructions in this thread except as noted below:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/li...-1-stock-apex-cm7-etc-any-rom-liberty-gb.html

1. Re-download and re-install every program/file you need for the process.
2. Don't use a virtual machine
3. Plug your phone into a USB port on the back of the PC, preferably the one nearest the outside top. If it's plugged in there, try a different location.

You can stop at the "do not activate your phone" step if you don't want to root it or put rooted GB on it. You can do everything except install LGB 0.x if you want rooted GB. Or you can go the whole way and install the latest Liberty ROM, which of course I recommend.

I have a coworker whose phone also goes right back into the bootloader after he SBFs. He pulls the charging cord and the battery, puts the battery back in and boots into stock recovery. Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then reboot (all while the phone is unplugged) and it comes up just fine.

Last edited: