Help with modifications to my Droid

jcolt

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum so I appreciate your patience and forgive me if I am asking things already posted (I did my best to search the forums for my questions).

I have a Moto Droid (2.1) and am running Helix Launcher. I like this theme but have issues with it lagging when I return to the home screen (it will take 5-10 sec for my apps and widgets to show up). I have read about rooting my phone because it seems like some of the ROMS out there are much better and faster. This being said, I have a number of questions:

1) If I root my phone and install a new rom will the phone be faster and am I less likely to have these lags that I have with Helix? From what i read I think Cyangenmod works pretty well and is much snappier than what I am running now.

2) If I root my phone can I move my apps to the SD card and will that improve the performance of my phone as apps would not being taking up internal memory?

If the answers to my above questions are yes, then I think I would want to go ahead and root. However, I have read a number of posts on this matter and on installing ROMS and on partitioning the SD card and I am very confused. I am not fimiliar with a number of the terms used in the directions (ie what is a kernal...overclocking?) and I am afraid of doing something that would mess up my phone to a point where I could not use it. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to walk me through rooting and ROM installation? i would be happy to pay (through paypal) someone experienced in this to guide me through rooting and rom installation over the phone as I know everyones time is valuable and not looking for a freebie.

Any help would be appreciated. I love the Droid but would love to have it work quickly and to learn about some of the great things the phone is capable of. Send me a message if you are interested in helping me and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,

JCo352

Reaction score
Hi all, I am new to this forum so I appreciate your patience and forgive me if I am asking things already posted (I did my best to search the forums for my questions).

I have a Moto Droid (2.1) and am running Helix Launcher. I like this theme but have issues with it lagging when I return to the home screen (it will take 5-10 sec for my apps and widgets to show up). I have read about rooting my phone because it seems like some of the ROMS out there are much better and faster. This being said, I have a number of questions:

1) If I root my phone and install a new rom will the phone be faster and am I less likely to have these lags that I have with Helix? From what i read I think Cyangenmod works pretty well and is much snappier than what I am running now. Yes if you overclock.

2) If I root my phone can I move my apps to the SD card and will that improve the performance of my phone as apps would not being taking up internal memory?Yes in Cyanogen there is apps2sd

If the answers to my above questions are yes, then I think I would want to go ahead and root. However, I have read a number of posts on this matter and on installing ROMS and on partitioning the SD card and I am very confused. I am not fimiliar with a number of the terms used in the directions (ie what is a kernal...overclocking?) and I am afraid of doing something that would mess up my phone to a point where I could not use it. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to walk me through rooting and ROM installation? i would be happy to pay (through paypal) someone experienced in this to guide me through rooting and rom installation over the phone as I know everyones time is valuable and not looking for a freebie.

Any help would be appreciated. I love the Droid but would love to have it work quickly and to learn about some of the great things the phone is capable of. Send me a message if you are interested in helping me and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,

I can help you, no money is required, but I can't right now I have to go do some stuff. But if you want when I come back I can, if someone else hasn't volunteered yet. Oh and here is a guide to some terms that you are confused about: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/43671-dummies-guide-android-terminoligy-lingo.html

OP
J

jcolt

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your prompt response. I am totally flexible on timing so can do later today or tomorro before noon (I have to leave tomorrow for a business trip). Just shoot me a reply and we can pick a time that works for you and I can provide some contact details.

OP
J

jcolt

Reaction score
Yes, I sent you a private message with my number. Did u get it