Help with Mod/Customizing Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by ocdrummer2011, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ocdrummer2011

ocdrummer2011 New Member

Lately I've been customizing a lot of different things on my droid (ex. like with the framework-res.apk)

I want to take it a step further and learn more. How would I go about in changing the notification bar color...like where the 3G/Battery/Clock display is at?

2. Savidi

Savidi New Member

Im in the same boat :icon_eek: lol... hopefully someone here can help you.. damn i dont even know what the framework -res.apk is lol. Mine are all Trial and error. I know a few things like Spfrecovery with rsdlite,nandroid backup, and thats pretty much it lol. I have BB V0.2 froyo 2.2 and Black Ice theme that all
  3. mammlouk

mammlouk New Member

The notification bar background is in framework-res.apk. If you mean text color, that is a bit trickier and I will let someone else explain in detail.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Editing the images is easy - you can just drop new png files into the framework and everything is happy. The text color on the other hand is a little messy. Android has these "xml files" that are not actually standard XML files - they are binary compiled XML. To edit them, you have look up the correct offsets and modify the value at that location. It's a real pain in the butt to do it manually.

Somebody wrote a nice java app that does it for you, though. You just pull the system.jar and framework-res.apk files off your phone and run the colorChange.jar file on them. It will perform the text edit for you and re-pack the files. You can then push them back to your phone and see the results. Be sure to make a backup before each change - even the most innocuous change to framework can render your phone unbootable!

colorChange.jar v3.1 - Modify Cyan template text colors [ALL VERSIONS] 11/29 - xda-developers
  5. ocdrummer2011

ocdrummer2011 New Member

Thanks for the responses!

This is what I've themed so far...

When I get home tonight i'll try working with the xml files :)