Help with media volume

amitp

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my new s3. I installed task killer and killed all runnin tasks. The sound icon no longer had a line through it.

skippedbeat

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if it has any significance, but I discovered the same issue this morning (hence me being on this forum trying to fix it!), and I wondered whether it had anything to do with a new app that I'd installed - Angry Birds. So, I removed the app, went back into my Settings/Sound/Volume and the Media volume was no longer muted. Coincidence? You may want to check that a new app with its own settings may be causing the issue. cheers
Oh my goodness I love you. I was getting so mad because I couldnt figure out what was wrong with my phone and usually im pretty good at figuring these kinds of things out! All I did was hold the home button to open recent applications and started at the top and slid them closed and after about the third one the music that was playing that I couldnt hear turned on! Thanks so much!

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I had the same problem and fixed it. Sort of....

Two things to look at are what you use to change the volume, and recent apps, as others have now stated. A widget could be getting "caught," so to speak. If you only use the volume buttons or the sliding bar in the notifications I don't think it applies. Emphasis on think. For me it was an app that took over the sound. Like if I played that game and listened to music at the same time, you could only hear the game. It would also only happen if the phone was on silent and I opened up that game, for whatever reason it seemed to keep it like that.

So some things to do are when/if it does happen again, hold the home button and see what apps are currently running. Go through one by one and close them and see if it changes. Most likely it will and you'll have eliminated it down to the source of the problem. Now check settings in that app to see if anything controls the sound etc etc. Play around with this, see if it helps...

So I pretty much force closed that app

rdmoore1952

Reaction score
No Media Sound

For what it's worth I've experienced this same problem on my Bionic and once sofar on my SG3. Its never happened often enough for me to spend time to chase down the cause. Interesting discussion.

pelicanism

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know if it has any significance, but I discovered the same issue this morning (hence me being on this forum trying to fix it!), and I wondered whether it had anything to do with a new app that I'd installed - Angry Birds. So, I removed the app, went back into my Settings/Sound/Volume and the Media volume was no longer muted. Coincidence? You may want to check that a new app with its own settings may be causing the issue. cheers

Thanks. Same kind of issue here, but the app was Tiny Tower. Disabling "Sounds" in the settings disabled most sounds through headphones. Volume up and down tones still worked though. As soon as I rechecked the sounds setting, everything works.

rogncincy

Reaction score
Mines does the same thing. Have to turn it off to fix it. Very annoying!