Help with LG Optimus V memory issues!

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by DrunkMonk, Jul 5, 2012.

1. DrunkMonk

DrunkMonk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    here's the deal, ive recently cleared all my cache, cookies and everything you could imagine... hooked my phone up to my computer and went through and literally deleted EVERYTHING that was unnecessary... ive deleted 90% of my text messages and uninstalled almost all of my apps... ive stored whatever apps i could to my SD card... Facebook had to be deleted because i couldnt store it to my SD card and it was almost 20MB... i literally have 1 or 2 of my own personal apps, Words With Friends and Twitter, that are stored on my phone because they wont go to the SD card... after everything i did, i checked my phones free space and it's only 50MB with 127.93MB being used... WTF!?!?!

what is POSSIBLY taking up that much space on my phone?!? i have nothing... ive deleted most of my pics ive taken, i literally have more factory pre-installed apps than i do my own (which is pathetic). ive had my phone tell me so many times that im running out of space and couldnt send texts and all that.. so i could go and delete damn near every text i have and it would STILL give me that problem.....

can someone PLEASE help me?!? i want to enjoy my phone without having to delete everything and STILL have no space... i wish i could just put everything on my SD card, but then again, i wouldnt know where to start because i have NO idea what could possibly be taking up 127MB of space on my phone....

please help me out guys, i REALLY appreciate it!

2. Scurvy

Scurvy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ditto for me, I get the daily "running low on memory" message

Like you, I've done everything you've done, plus I factory reset mine, and cleared my phone log to free up all possible space. I went through settings and removed the data and the updates for all the stupid bloatware apps, but nothing is working.

What I've noticed is that these memory issues crop up after Google releases updates to the Market Place (obsolete), Google Play, Goog Maps, or other Goog ware. I've spoken w/ the LG support team and it sounds like the Play and Maps have been especially enormous lately, and they've been rolled out to take advantage of the newer phones' chipsets that have far more internal memory and higher speeds. This is all to make the Google apps look sexier and run faster and better. In practical terms, that means our measly 250mb of memory is tiny compared to the new wave of 1 and 2GB phones that are common and our phones are being squeezed into obsolescence. It also means that Maps runs a lot better and faster with less download dialogue.

The problem is that 10mb of app represents about 4% of the phone's total memory, but the Android system and other "essential" apps take that number down to 178.88mb, which is now 5.5% of the AVAILABLE memory. So to keep pace with these big debits, one-by-one, I have been forced to pick off my apps, and as Acrobat Reader is one of the biggest ones I have left at 6.5mb, I am on the verge of losing the level of function that makes this a "smartphone." This is especially true when Google takes the size of Maps from 12.58mb up to +25mb in one shot, which meant that to keep my memory size level, I had to delete 2 apps about the size of Acrobat, and if they do it again I'm going to be in a pretty desperate spot because I don't have any more 6.5mb apps!

Perhaps another option is decide if I want to root my phone or not. That might allow me to shave off another 10mb of bloatware and take other fine tuning steps, but I honestly don't see the kind of rate of recovery that will solve the problem sufficiently to even keep my phone's level of function level -- I'm probably still looking at an unrecoverable downhill slide. I might be able to quit using Goog Maps and delete all of its updates, plus its data and then I would be okay for quite a while, but that's a pretty drastic trade off.

Sickening as it is, my phone is in great physical condition (i.e., it's going to last a long time), so I will probably give it to my kid. He'll get a really nice phone that can text and for a while will be able to handle email too. But beyond that I suspect his use of it will be rather limited until the phone simply becomes incapable of smartphone functions.

ANY HELP OUT THERE?

Search tags for this page
how can i free up space on my lg optimus v
how to clear memory on lg optimus
how to clear system memory on lg optimus

how to free up space on lg optimus v

lg low on space
lg optimus memory full problem
lg optimus memory low
lg optimus system memory full

lg optimus v memory

lg optimus v memory issues