Help with installing ROM

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by MivecShadow, Jun 25, 2011.

1. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey everyone, I'm new to the site but have been stalking around the past week or so. I've managed to root my phone using MotoCache1's "Rooting the Droid 1 - Regardless of OS version" tutorial (was a breeze).

Now I would like to install Chevyno1's Simply stunning ROM but I'm not too sure how to go about it. Everywhere I look its being said to do a Nandroid backup. I currently have SPRecovery 0.99.3b (installed during the rooting tutorial), will this work fine as a Nandroid backup??? If so will I be able to install a ROM by simply adding the zip file into my SD cards root and naming it update.zip? But will I need to wipe all my information? I'm not worried about the apps at all but my contacts I am a little worried about deleting... will there be a way to retrieve them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

2. syndicate0017

syndicate0017 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +48
    You will need to wipe data/cache before installing a ROM. If you don't you are increibly more likely to exerience boot loops or other issues. I can't speak on nandroid backups for SP Recovery, I've only used Clockwork and RZ Recovery.

If you are worried about losing your apps, download Titanium Backup (paid version) and backup all market apps and anything else you want. Then after installing the ROM, redownload it from the market, and do a batch restore. Will take no more than 5 or 10 minutes. And your contacts should restore through your google account.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

3. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Syndicate that helped!

4. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone familiar with how this works on SPRecovery?

5. rck76

rck76 Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Good if you follow OP's instructions...wipe data/cache REBOOT INTO RECOVERY then flash rom.

6. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am OP rck.. But I went ahead and did a backup. then added the zip file to my sd card naming it update.zip... after that I rebooted to SPRecovery where I wiped all data. Rebooted again to SPRecovery and attempted to install the update. It said it was complete but after the reboot to OS it froze on the M screen and I had to pull my battery and reboot to SPRecovery and do a recovery. I tried it twice with the same results.. Am I doing something wrong here or what?

7. rck76

rck76 Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I meant op of the ss 5.4 thread, but you shouldn't have any problems, try installing a mv kernel and see if that helps.

8. rck76

rck76 Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Another thing that might help is doing the wipe all option, not just data, then reboot into recovery, flash rom and kernel, then reboot into android. You don't need to rename to update.zip when using rzrecovery, just make sure you know where the file is. I usually just leave it in my download folder when downloading from my droid.

9. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the ROM actually comes with a LV kernel if im correct... And can I actually install a kernel without a ROM??? I'm also using SPRecovery not RZ. And each time I wiped I wiped everything sorry I didnt clarify

10. guidot

guidot Developer Relations
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Follow the guide I wrote, link 2 in my signature.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. rck76

rck76 Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Ok, my bad, try flashing rzrecovery through the bootloader using rsdlite or you could download the zip from rzrecovery's thread and rename it update.zip and then flash that through sprecovery. Then when you reboot into recovery you will have rzrecovery.

Edit: here's the link for rzrecovery

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ra...-based-update-zips-battery-charging-more.html

#11 rck76, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  12. MivecShadow

MivecShadow New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you both Guidot and rck.. Guidot I did actually follow those exact steps when attempting it before but maybe I was too impatient with the load screen I waited a couple minutes though how long does it normally take for the initial boot? I will try this again when I get home and give it a bit longer to boot. If it doesn't work I will redownload the ROM as it may be corrupt like you said. If neither works I will go ahead and download RZRecovery. Thank you for the link rck.
    Again thank you all for your help it was greatly appreciated.