Help with installing 9.16.6.en.us on rooted Maxx HD

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
Actually this should be titled "Help with Titanium Backup Legend"

Before I install system update, I need to restore uninstalled system apps using TB. Trouble is I can't remember how to tell which uninstalled apps are system apps. Please help!

resn8

Reaction score
System apps are listed in red font and have a purplish block around them when frozen. Hope that helps.

FYI - Even after temp uprooting with Voodoo and defrosting system apps, the 4.1.2 update fails to install. I hope someone comes up with a fix. Good luck.

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
THanks for the help and the tip on the install fail. I'll wait to hear a solution before I try.

snowman

Reaction score
yes I used a filter on Tit. backup to re-enable all the frozen stuff
reuped my binaries on Su
deleted the saved root and then resaved and unrooted
installed the update 4.1.2
runs better then it ever has sweet update , rooted back with Voodo all is good
I really like the update

resn8

Reaction score
Thanks for the steps. It still failed during update for me. Are you using Superuser or SuperSU?

OP
S

StiffOneEye

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with TI. I click unfreeze a frozen system app and after a short time it says that it has been unfrozen but then when I look in app drawer its not there. I go back to TI and I see the option to unfreeze it is still there. Also any apps that have been uninstalled, when I click reinstall it just freezes TI. I hope that makes sense.

snowman

Reaction score
using Superuser
it's not a good idea to uninstall sometimes just freeze it could cause some issues
also after reinstalling are you rebooting the phone?

resn8

Reaction score
I've tried both Superuser & SuperSU to no avail. Were there any other steps you performed the get the 4.1.2 to install. I've also tried defrost, temp unroot, boot into recovery, & install zip. It still fails with an assertion error about 1/3 in the process then reboots. Thanks.

snowman

Reaction score
I've tried both Superuser & SuperSU to no avail. Were there any other steps you performed the get the 4.1.2 to install. I've also tried defrost, temp unroot, boot into recovery, & install zip. It still fails with an assertion error about 1/3 in the process then reboots. Thanks.

lets start with what phone do you have for sure
are you rooted yet on what you have
what version are you on now settings about phone system version and android version

snowman

Reaction score

lets start with what phone do you have for sure is it the Razr HD
are you rooted yet on what you have
what version are you on now settings about phone system version and android versionThis is the best explanation I have found typed up (thanks to Sigvor)

snowman

Reaction score
I've tried both Superuser & SuperSU to no avail. Were there any other steps you performed the get the 4.1.2 to install. I've also tried defrost,
temp unroot, boot into recovery, & install zip. It still fails with an assertion error about 1/3 in the process then reboots. Thanks.

lets start with what phone do you have for sure is it the Razr HD
are you rooted yet on what you have , you do know the download was bad for a while and would do just what you are saying not load all the way? are you downloading a new file?
what version are you on now settings about phone system version and android versionThis is the best explanation I have found typed up (thanks to Sigvor)
Root XT926 to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean When OTAs Are Not Working - DroidRzr.com
this link is for HD 926 and all does not apply as the links are working again for download where as it was bad for a long time

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with TI. I click unfreeze a frozen system app and after a short time it says that it has been unfrozen but then when I look in app drawer its not there. I go back to TI and I see the option to unfreeze it is still there. Also any apps that have been uninstalled, when I click reinstall it just freezes TI. I hope that makes sense.
Here is a recommendation. I am assuming you are on system version 4.1.1, root or unrooted doesn't make a difference at this point.
1-Download Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10 from here:http://batakang.com/ftp/DROID_RAZR_HD/DROID_RAZR_HD_Utility1.10.zip.
2-If you've never used one of Matt's Utilities take a few minutes to learn how to install and run the utility...it is pretty simple. SEE NOTE BELOW
3-Unfreeze/enable all apps on your phone.
4-Temporarily unroot if you are rooted.
5-Power off your phone, hook it up to your computer using the USB cable that came with the phone and run RazrUtility 1.10, OPTION 1.
6-Running Option 1 will restore your phone back to ICS, system version 4.0.4.
7-After your phone reboots, run OPTION 2...Option 2 will root system version 4.0.4.
8-After rooting your phone run OPTION 3 (Install Voodoo RootKeeper) or download Voodoo Rootkeeper from the Play Store. Install Voodoo Rootkeeper and protect root.
9-Power off you phone and reboot...check to see if you have root
10-If you have root, temporarily unroot and power off your phone, then reboot.
11-At this point you should be notified that there is an OTA update available. This update is a security update. If you are not automatically notified then go to phone>about phone>and check for updates.
12-Take the OTA update.
13-After the OTA update installs power off your phone and reboot. Open Voodoo Rootkeeper and restore root. Reboot your phone.
14-Check to see that you have retained root.
15-If you have retained root then temporarily unroot using Voodoo
16-Power off your phone and reboot. Again, you should be notified that there is another OTA update. This update will install system version 4.1.1. Take the update.
17-After the update has installed and the phone rebooted, in restore root with Voodoo. Power off your phone and reboot...check to see if you have retained root.
18-If you have retained root then temporarily unroot and power off your phone and reboot.
19-Again, you should be notified of an OTA update...this OTA update is JB, system version 4.1.2. Take the update and reboot your phone. After reboot go to Voodoo and restore root.
This process worked for me. A word of CAUTION here. Once you have elected to take the last OTA update...to 4.1.2, there is no going back to 4.0.4 or 4.1.1. So, if you loose root during that last OTA then you will be on 4.1.2 without root until someone figures out how to root 4.1.2 (which hopefully will be pretty soon).

NOTE: After you have downloaded the utility you your computer, you must extract the .zip to its own folder. Do not try to run the utility from within the .zip. Make sure you have installed the Motorola drivers...there is a folder in the extracted files with drivers included. The utility Option 1 must be run with your phone in AP Fastboot. You do not have to be in AP Fastboot to run Option 2 or 3.

Suggestion...never delete an app that you need root to delete. It almost always creates more issues/problems for you than the little bit of memory space is worth. Just freeze.

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
JpCalhoun good stuff and great explanation

"This process worked for me. A word of CAUTION here. Once you have elected to take the last OTA update...to 4.1.2, there is no going back to 4.0.4 or 4.1.1. So, if you loose root during that last OTA then you will be on 4.1.2 without root until someone figures out how to root 4.1.2 (which hopefully will be pretty soon)."

Matt says maybe another week or so?