Help with Handcent SMS

otisdawhino

Reaction score
I use Handcent SMS. I love the new pattern draw protection. I have young kids that play with my phone all the time and of course my friends send me a ton of off color texts. Everything is great but my messages (at least the first part of the message) shows up in the status bar when you pull it down. That kind of defeats the purpose of the pattern draw because you can still read a portion of the incoming texts. How can I get rid of that feature ?? I like it to show me that a text has come in but I dont need the body of the text showing up in that pulldown status bar. I use the regular Home screen if that helps. I have tried every setting and it still shows up. PLEASE HELP ME OUT :)

Thanks,

OtisDaWhino

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only thing I can think of, is turning off the notifications all together, but i could be wrong.

OP
O

otisdawhino

Reaction score
I did that but then it doesnt notify you of a text....so you just have to randomly check your texts uuuggghhhh I hope there is something I can do.

lizards88

Reaction score
I have it on my Motorola and it works awesome. I did turn off the notification for the default text program

OP
O

otisdawhino

Reaction score
Oh yeah it works like a champ. I just want it password (pattern) protected without the notification. I know this isnt a huge deal but the protection is useless if the text shows up in the notification pull down. Does that make sense ??

lizards88

Reaction score
Yeah I understand, have you tried contacting the app developer for handscent and see what they say

Reaction score
If you go into notification settings and select Privacy Mode, then none of the actual message will show up in the Pulldown. Of course I could be wrong. Haven't tested it.

OP
O

otisdawhino

Reaction score
Great idea Lizard.....no I havent but I will. Im playing around with it now and trying to make it stop showing up. Ive disabled the notifications and turned on the pop up but set it to only show after the protection is engaged. I will see how that works.

OP
O

otisdawhino

Reaction score
uuuggghhhh that works ok but it doesnt let you know a text is coming in...all it does is turn on the screen. What about the other SMS apps out there ??? Isnt Chomp one ?? Is it good ?? Any other good SMS apps ??? I love Handcent but I need to have my messages totally private.

OP
O

otisdawhino

Reaction score
I switched to Chomp and it works like a champ now. It had the exact setting I was looking for. Handcent will not do it. Plus I love the customization features of Chomp better now. I appreciate all the help but problem solved. Now my kids cant see my messages unless they know the pattern lock.

Preciate ya,

OtisDaWhino :)
:beer2: