help with google now on a droid maxx

tuner student

Reaction score
I remeber that when I used to use Google now I could say things like text "contact name" "message" with the phone locked with a pin and it would show the google search page with the contact name and the proposed message, asking for a confirmation. The phone wouldn't let you do anything else though as it shouldn't in lock mode.

Now my problem is if I do any google now function like the example above, the phone sits at the lock screen awaiting my pin and will sleep if not entered.

Any suggestions how to get it back to the way it was?

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am not familiar with the Droid maxx.....are you wanting it to automatically unlock it with your voice?

sent from my fabulous Note 4♡

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Have you tried retraining your voice and launch phrase. There have been some Google app updates and sometimes you have to clear the data and retrain your voice.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I forgot one thing: Have you gone into Settings > Touch less Controls and made sure everything was still checked for voice commands to unlock the phone and always listen for your voice? All the instructions for setting that all up are in the Help app on our phones. Help > personalize your device > use voice commands and search. It will guide you through what the Touch less Control settings should be and how to retrain your voice.

OP
T

tuner student

Reaction score
I will try this and double check the check boxes. Nothing should have changed though

OP
T

tuner student

Reaction score
OK so I just tried this all. My problem is of I say something like navigate me to .. Or text .... The phone says at the screen where I would enter my pin. The phone used to unlock automatically and show the function being asked. It wouldnt let you go outside of that screen though. But now it just shows the lock screen and if not unlocked the screen dims again.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Correct. That's exactly what happens when you need to retrain your voice. Have you retrained your voice and followed the instructions? Complete quiet room, phone held at arms length away, etc. And before retraining, make sure you Go into the Google app and delete tour current voice model. Reboot the phone and start the process to retrain. I did that once on my phone and all touch less control commands work great.

OP
T

tuner student

Reaction score
Tried all that you suggested. I even noticed the boxes for "works from any screen" and "personel options were unchecked. Now if the phone is awaked but locked all is well. But if I wake the phone with a voice command it stocks at the pin screen and the fades to black.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OK. That sounds familiar. Try this: open the Google app > menu > settings > OK Google detection and make sure it looks like this:

uploadfromtaptalk1431052848234.png

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I know the From Any Screen option seems weird to be OFF. But remember our phones were built with Touchless Control built into the phone and it has to be OFF in that setting for it to work.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I just noticed that in your last post, you already mentioned that the From Any Screen and Personal Results were set to OFF. Sorry, didn't catch that last night. Some other things to check are Settings > Touchless Control > make sure that Touchless Control is checked, then open Commands While Locked and make sure that all three options are checked.

OP
T

tuner student

Reaction score
I set up the phone as you suggested. Still no dice. If i say for example (from a dark phone) ok google now.. text _______

the phone says whats the message but only shows the screen as the lock screen where I enter my pin. It used to show the google screen with the mic and such.

maybe i should try unchecking the while locked commands and rebooting then rechecking??

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I set up the phone as you suggested. Still no dice. If i say for example (from a dark phone) ok google now.. text _______

the phone says whats the message but only shows the screen as the lock screen where I enter my pin. It used to show the google screen with the mic and such.

maybe i should try unchecking the while locked commands and rebooting then rechecking??

You could try that, might do the trick. If that still doesn't work, you could try the same OK Google Now...Text {Name} with the phone in Safe Mode and see what happens. Safe Mode is a good troubleshooting tool to see if Play Store apps are interfering with system apps. Here are the instructions for Safe Mode on a Droid Maxx.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro

the phone says whats the message but only shows the screen as the lock screen where I enter my pin. It used to show the google screen with the mic

OK...I don't think the issue is your phone. I have a smart watch and have it set as a trusted device, so my screen always turns on for any Google Now command. I read something about changes to the Google Now policies that made me think. So I turned off trusted devices for a few minutes so my phone locked. I tried the same thing "OK Google Now...Text (Name) and I could hear the voice asking what is your message. But when I spoke my message the screen went black and she never responded. I tried a call and it went through no problem with the screen locked. I setup trusted devices again and was able to send a text using OK Google Now. So....I think the recent Google App updates messed up the ability to send a text using OK Google Now on our Droid phones. There have not been any Touch less Control app updates from Moto, so it must have been a Google App update. I think your phone is doing what it can do right now. If you want to verify that, open settings > apps > all apps and open Google. Select Uninstall Updates and revert the app back to stock. Reboot the phone and I am willing to bet that you can send a text using OK Google Now. I'm going to see if I can find out more, but I think your phone is fine and its a Google issue.