Help with Google navigation

brookf

Reaction score
Hi,
I love the Google navigation on the driod but it seems to have one shortcoming. When you leave an area that has 3G or 1X service, is there anyway to cache or save your navigation? The problem I have is that when I start roaming in rural areas the nav works fine as if I have set up the destination beforehand (while in Verizon data service area) It even works if the phone has no reception. If you leave the navigation while not in Verizon data area, is there anyway to retrace your path? Maybe an app for this? It is for this reason that I can't see leaving my Garmin handheld...The Google nav works great at getting me there, not so great at getting me out if I leave the data service area.

Thanks for any advice...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The reception issue is one of the main reasons, that and the maps database, that I switched over to Navigon. It's paid app and it's expensive, but it uses the same set of maps that Garmin uses. The map database is downloaded to your sdcard too. It's as full functioned as my Garmin 750.

OP
B

brookf

Reaction score
Thanks, I will check that out...I see the option under settings>location and security> enable assisted GPS which was unchecked , thought maybe this would help , but you can't beat the Garmin maps for off the trail stuff.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I will check that out...I see the option under settings>location and security> enable assisted GPS which was unchecked , thought maybe this would help , but you can't beat the Garmin maps for off the trail stuff.
CoPilot also has locally stored maps. Assisted isn't relevant to your question. Assisted GPS is just used to obtain a faster fix. It has nothing to do with helping a GPS app that requires data when there is no data coverage.

Be careful assuming that Garmin has no faults. The Garmin iPhone app, for example, doesn't store maps locally and would have exactly the same problem.