Help with Gnex notification icons

Biker_Billy

Reaction score
I have a GSM GNEX running on T-Mobile. I have seen icons for the data speed E for Edge 2G and 3G and when loading a huge page I get H.There are 3 separate HSPA data formats. Does anybody have a complete list of the radio speed icons. I cant find one anywhere. TIA!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Mostly just vzw users here so not sure anyone is going to know. Maybe try over at xda developers?

OP
B

Biker_Billy

Reaction score
T-M0bile band confusion

I think your partially right. T-Mob serves up what they call HSPA amd HSPA+

The phones that work on T-Mob have these data and radio characteristics in their specs :HSDPA, 42 Mbps and HSDPA,21 Mbps and something labeled HSUPA , 5.76 Mbps (whatever this is it must be slooooow)

So I just want to know what the H means when it comes up. Normally in a decent signal area the phone seems to idle with the 3G icon but when I access an internet page it throttles up to H and in a flash the whole page is loaded.

I think that in my case the H actually means HSDPA,21 Mbps. I wanted to know if there was a H+ icon lurking in the background. I'm really surprised that nobody seems to know this.

Thanks for the help anyway.

B_B

WookieClaws

Reaction score
I was on TMO before I came to VXW. TMO's HSPA+ phones used to have an H when you have an HSPA+ signal; there was a big debate on whether or not HSPA+ was 4G and TMO got the OK to call it 4G. After that phones with an HSPA+ would show an 4G icon instead of an H. I had a phone that showed H, and then it became 4G after an update.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah that's what I noticed with my cousin's phone, when he's on HSPA+ there's an H signal.

They did advertised HSPA+ as 4g for a bit until Verizon released their LTE network. Now they call it HSPA+ or 3g+ to some. Nowhere near 4g speeds, but quite a bit faster than 3g. They did mislead alot of their customers though, especially with the whole iPhone fiasco with the 4g icon on AT&T's network, sorry Apple sheep, not possible:p

WookieClaws

Reaction score
Yeah that's what I noticed with my cousin's phone, when he's on HSPA+ there's an H signal.

They did advertised HSPA+ as 4g for a bit until Verizon released their LTE network. Now they call it HSPA+ or 3g+ to some. Nowhere near 4g speeds, but quite a bit faster than 3g. They did mislead alot of their customers though, especially with the whole iPhone fiasco with the 4g icon on AT&T's network, sorry Apple sheep, not possible:p

Yeah I laugh when people show me their iPhone with a 4G icon on it. I also wonder how AT&T claims to have the largest 4G network; but I guess it makes sense if they are calling HSPA+ 4G. Seems like VZW keeps rolling out more LTE cities though, so that claim may not hold up for long (if it does now).