1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help with framework-res theme and MetaMorph (for new cyanogen / jrummy / ultimate)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by icculusX, Apr 19, 2010.

1. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ok, so I am a graphics guy for the most part. I do not know much about code and what have you. So I will try to explain my needs simply...

(1) How do I apply my new framework res PNG's?
    See, I put together this theme http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-themes/35961-black-bluez-theme-icculusx.html using a few others that I found, while also editing a lot of the graphics and creating new ones to fit my style. I made this for UDv9 and the update.zip that I used doesn't work for the new UD10 or Cyanogen. I am having trouble here because Meta-Morph doesnt work on cyanogen and on UDv10 it only changed some of the graphics. I do not have any tools like ADB on my PC so I don't know that stuff. I would like to further edit this theme, and put it on UDv10 because of the new features (or jrummy because his tweaks are nice). Any help would be great.

(2) What about theme's for other applications?
    MetaMorph worked fine for most other apps, but now Pandora seems to have switched over from 'system/app' to 'data/app' for some reason. It doesn't seem to let you MetaMorph apps in the 'data/app' folder, they just disappear. If I am using apps2sd (which i never tried), would that make it easier to edit my apps or would I have the same issue. Any other work-arounds?

(sorry if some answers were already noted on the forums. I always try to read a lot and search before i post.. but these issues were hard to find a solid answer.. thanks)
  2. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Now, I'm not sure about the functionality of this method with your ROM but for me to replace images in my framework-res.apk file, I had to do the following:
    1) after using 7win to open the apk file and changing the images to what I wanted, I closed the 7win window and then copied the apk file to the root of my sdcard. Then using Terminal Emulator, typed in the following (pressing the enter key after each line):
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

After reboot, all the changed images were in effect. I did have to re-sign in to Google and FB though.

Again, this is what works for me. Pandora for example would install in the /data/app folder and you can't push anything there without signing it (whatever that is). I found that if you COPY the apk file to your sdcard, put it on your PC and make the desired image chages as described above, then copy back to your sdcard. Once you've unmounted your phone, I use Root Explorer to put the APK file in the /system/app folder and make sure it's named exactly as the original. Set the permissions to 644 and in the Terminal Emulator, type in:
    su
    sync
    reboot

Hope that help you out.
  3. icculusX

set the permissions to 664? whats this part (thanks for the help btw, i am going to eat dinner but ill give this a shot later or tomorrow)
  4. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

In order to skin the framework you either need to put a copy of framework-res on sdcard. Then point the path for MM to skin to /sdcard/framework-res.apk . Other wise you can do above or make it in update.zip format. There are many threads on this very discussion.
  5. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

Using root explorer I long press the apk file and the menu comes up (first attached). Select Permissions and set to match the second attached image.
  6. icculusX

thebowers - yea I know, no offence but that is what my entire post is about. I already made themes and I got one for UD9 but was having trouble on UD10 and cyanogens new stuff. I know how to edit stuff, its a matter of getting the framework applied on the new ROMS because I am having issues.

Jim #777 - Nice man, Ill give that a shot. Thanks for the quick help
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  7. icculusX

OK so I tried exactly what Jim #777 told me and it is not working. I am not completely stupid with this stuff, just cant seem to get this working on UDv10 - all goes well untill I use the terminal busybox command to copy the framework-res.apk

Everytime I try it I cant type in reboot because the screen goes black and it doesn't come back on. Then when I force it to reboot it freezes on the M boot up.

(I don't know why this is happening, its a fresh install of UDv10 anyone else theme framework of UDv10 themselves?? help?)

Also Jim #777 - in root explorer when I change the permissions to that they don't seem to actually change. When I go back into the permissions they are exactly how they were... don't seem to want to change
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I don't know why if you have root access that would happen. If you weren't in R/W mode, you couldn't even get to the screen to change them.

Hopefully someone with experience with UDv10 will chime in. It definitely seems that different ROMs require different techniques to edit pieces. Too bad really but understandable.

:mad:
  9. iamlost87

iamlost87 New Member

I just tried this, and it crashed adter the busybox line. I couldn't even type reboot. The screen just went black then it froze on the M on bootup.
  10. icculusX

iamlost87 - same exact thing? I found an update.zip of someone elses (since I dono how to make them) and dropped my framework in there and it worked perfectly actually.

Still however I am looking how to theme apps in the data/app folder. I tried the above method of copying the file to SD, editing, setting permissions, then putting it in the system/app folder but it seemed to just make the program disappear. Is this supposed to be done after copying the APK into the system/app???
  11. iamlost87

iamlost87 New Member

Pull it out to SD card using Root Explorer, extract it to a folder, edit the images, use 7zip to pack it back up using no compression(store) and for the filename, just type like "Launcher.apk" or "Phone.apk"

I made my own launcher doing that. I'm going to try to slip my framework into someone's update.zip and see if I can get it to go.
  12. nphil

nphil New Member

Sometimes when moving an app from /data to /system, you have to sync and reboot. This might explain why your app disappears off the list.
  13. icculusX

Yeperoo... Just got it down pat. Now it's time to waste my life away changing all my icons and app graphics yet again. Wish there was a super-metamorph that could do this all at once. Time is costly...

Now I have to decide if I want UDv10 or Jrummy's new remix quickly so that I can get going on these changes! Ahhgg.
  14. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Space limitations to /system, fortunately, there's very few apps I want to theme and with changing all my ringtones and removing unwanted apps, the apps I want themed can, for the most part, be moved.
  15. icculusX

Thats odd that its partially space limitations? I have 2 followups:

-Does anyone use Apps2SD? How does that work with installing apps? Is it then a lot easier to alter graphics in the APKs because they are already set on the SD?

-Secondly, I know its a lot opinion and theres a lot of info out there but, I want a nice fast rom with extras like hi-quality youtube, 360 rotate, USB tether built in... and so on (nice extras)
  16. agent42o

agent42o New Member

Yes, on the /system, and usually when you are theming apps they tend to get larger.

I use cyanogen, I like it, it's quick, but I have done a lot to tweak mine and continue to work on it every day. I recommend giving it a shot.

Question, has anyone done any smoked glass type theming for FeedR or BeyondPod? I am trying to get a nice dark uniform look across my entire home screens, but those two, especially FeedR stick out like sore thumbs.
  17. nphil

nphil New Member

possibly related : Does anyone know if the apps in /sd-ext need to be signed? This would essentially save a lot of /system space that custom themed apps take.
  18. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

I thought that too, but there's something about doing it "manually" over and over to embed the knowledge. Better than automating everything in my opinion.
    I like pulling out my apps and widgets and modifying myself and manually pushing back and seeing it work.
  19. icculusX

I agree that its nice learning how to do it manually, but it also is a bit annoying because once you edit something, lets say Pandora Radio, after putting it in the system/app folder and syncing... it works great and looks awesome however you can't update it and it says nothing about it being installed i think... mmmm...
  20. nphil

nphil New Member

Search tags for this page

change framework-res.apk

example permision rwrr

framework-res.apk

metamorph framework

modify framework-res.apk

settings disappeared after metamorph