Help with framework-res.apk

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Shad0w325, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Shad0w325

Shad0w325 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I've been playing around with the framework-res.apk file a bit and want to replace some of the icons (status icons, etc.), but whenever I replace something and push it back to the phone, my Droid just stays on the Moto M screen until I do a battery pull. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been having the same troubles when I would push it it would load the splash screens then go to a black screen. I hope someone can answer your question because it would help me too :)

3. blake

blake Member

Ratings:
    +0
    same problem here.......

4. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was going through a ton of forums and threads and I figured out why blake. When you edit images and save them they have to be the same "weight" as the ones you are replacing. So basically it is the graphics not being the correct "weight" and when you upload that framework it is seen as invalid and will just kill your phone. I have stopped trying to make my own framework-res.apk for now and am just looking for already made ones. Best of luck to you if you keep trying blake.

5. Drukan

Drukan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For those of you attempting to create/edit your own theme work.... METAMORPH is what you need.
    its avail in the marketplace. a few searches on it here and at AllDroid will give you all the info you need.

6. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks drukan but you don't need metamorph I figured out what I was doing wrong my files just didn't coincide with what the droid expected so it crashed once I figured out how to change the graphics so the droid accepted them it works fine. I've edited every app in my phone now lol.

7. bb-gun

bb-gun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have to use adb to push them? or can you use root explorer to copy and paste them from your sd card to your phone?

8. acidcore

acidcore Member

Ratings:
    +0
    to put them on my phone i do this. first i put the .apk onto my sdcard then i do this in command prompt.

adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    dd if=/sdcard/*.apk of=/system/*/*.apk

* = name of apk and the directory of where it is located on the droids file system.
    Hopes this helps!

9. TNS201

TNS201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe if your phone is deodexed you will have an easier time.

10. scube

scube New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (sort of a Bump...)

Searching threads is my first priority when trying to resolve a question I have. That being said, this thread was one of the search returns that best nailed my mindset (question). With this thread not being TOOOO outdated I thought I'd try to get some fuel back into it.
    Basically I would eventually like to be able to make these modifications to the framework-res myself, however until then my end-goal is to really eliminate the battery icon from the status bar completely. I assume there may need to be a battery status "place holder" in the framework --which could be a "blank" battery meter or something--, but the reason for this desire is due to my new Seidio battery.
    The new battery is 2600mAh and the Android OS doesn't track it's capacity very well (at all??). I have a widget to monitor the actual voltage in the battery (Battery Left, BTW) which is the only way to accurately gauge the remaining capacity. Therefore, the battery-status icon in the framework is just an eye-sore since it is never close to accurate.

(my next tackle will be to also eliminate that red blinking notification telling my battery is almost dead, though I'll get at least 4 more hours of use out if it....)

Is it easy to remove this batter-status 'portion' of the status bar completely?

Thanks to any in advance!!

11. Jim 777

Jim 777 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have modded my icons and there's been no thought to "weight" and all icons have been direct replacements for already existing stock icons, or those that come with the ROM I'm running. Keep that in line and you should be fine...

After much asking and searching the above solution has worked every time! The only thing that I fail to see being mentioned (which makes me think that it doesn't happen to everyone) is that you have to put back in your Gmail and facebook account info. Also, the terminal emulator code that I put in is a bit different than above, so this will give you another option, again, this is using Terminal Emulator available from the Market. After you put the framework-res.apk on your root directory of your sdcard::

su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

Again, this has worked for me every time and I've done it probably 12 times in the last few days tweaking my icons.

Search tags for this page
how to push framework-res.apk of skyfire 2.0

red icon framework res apk