Help with finding previous version of Weatherbug

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I could have sworn I had backed up Weatherbug. I hadn't.

I do not like the newest updated version. I wondered if there may be a source that lists all versions and would also have the previous version .apk that I could download and reinstall until they get an update that I prefer.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

on edit- I have always connected my MAXX to my computer, highlighted all folders and copied them to my PC. In the past, I had and app_backup file that contained all my .apk files. I could not locate such a file, now. Not sure why. But, maybe simply dragging all folders from my phone apparently, for some reason, does not include my .apk files, but not sure why.

Last edited:

doogald

Reaction score
If you ever paid for Weatherbug Elite, which Weatherbug has stopped updating, it will still be in the Play Store. Open the Play Store app, tap the menu control top left and choose "my apps", and then slide to "All". You can't use the search tool to find it, but it will be in the list somewhere. I believe that the app still works, but Weatherbug decided to move away from a paid app to clear ads.

As to searching for apps online, I believe you can just Google for weatherbug.apk and I can't believe that you wouldn't find it. But I would *NEVER* install one of these apps. You have no idea if somebody took the app and added malware and repackaged it for download.

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
If you ever paid for Weatherbug Elite, which Weatherbug has stopped updating, it will still be in the Play Store. Open the Play Store app, tap the menu control top left and choose "my apps", and then slide to "All". You can't use the search tool to find it, but it will be in the list somewhere. I believe that the app still works, but Weatherbug decided to move away from a paid app to clear ads.

As to searching for apps online, I believe you can just Google for weatherbug.apk and I can't believe that you wouldn't find it. But I would *NEVER* install one of these apps. You have no idea if somebody took the app and added malware and repackaged it for download.
Thanks doogald!
I found it and that helped.
I did do the search, but with some of the text being in Chinese or Russian, I was not going to attempt that and cause a bigger problem.

The new version does not have the + and - on the screen to make it easy to zoom in and out. You have to try to use two fingers to do that while driving. And, when you open the map it is not where you had it last time, it is zoomed in to close. And, if you move the map over, on the last version there was a marker that, when you tapped on it, would take you back to your location. That is gone, now.

They just changed or left out some things that made it very easy and quick to perform different tasks.
Thank you, again.

doogald

Reaction score
The new version does not have the + and - on the screen to make it easy to zoom in and out. You have to try to use two fingers to do that while driving. And, when you open the map it is not where you had it last time, it is zoomed in to close. And, if you move the map over, on the last version there was a marker that, when you tapped on it, would take you back to your location. That is gone, now.
I just installed it to take a quick look. It's not a great app. FWIW, though, the map does have a location control at the bottom (it's a very small tap target) that will center the map on your location.

I think that Weather Underground is a much better free app (though ads do show up, you can turn them off with an in-app purchase, if you want), with much better maps. The map is zoomed out when you tap it, I think more than enough. +/- zoom controls can be turned on in the settings, and there is an easy to tap location control at the top that will recenter the map. The app looks a lot better than that crazy-weird Weatherbug interface. (Weatherbug's status bar temp notfication is better, though.) I'd turn on the dark interface setting to use less battery on the Droid Maxx.

Weather Underground: Weather Underground - Android Apps on Google Play

OP
TxDoc

TxDoc

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
XT1635-01
I will download and look at the Weather Underground app this evening. :D Hopefully not associated with Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, former leaders of the 1960s' Weather Underground, America's first terrorist cult.;)

doogald

Reaction score
It's only association is that it was started by somebody also from the University of Michigan; he used the name cleverly, I believe. It's been owned by The Weather Channel (so, mostly NBCUniversal) for several years.