Help With D2G Battery

vkw619

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and looking for some help. I'm not sure exactly where to post this but I will try here and if it needs to be moved I am sorry.

I have a Droid 2 Global I got a few weeks ago. The battery lasts about 10 hours with minimal use and about 4-6 with a ton of use.

My daily use is texting a lot (maybe a hundred or so a day), Email, Facebook, Twitter and other little apps. I constantly go to Task Manager and kill aps after use and added things to the Auto Kill in task manager (although doesn't seem to do what it says it should).

Now I am going on a trip on friday and I won't have access to any sort of charger for a good 12 or so hours and really want to use my phone fully (youtube, facebook, email, music) which I got the phone for. I specifically picked this phone just so I could spend the day going on all of these sites and being connected without problem and knowing people with BBs who do that all the time I jumped at the opportunity to get a droid and I love the keyboard and the OS I just can't help but think I should be able to get a full day of use (6am-9pm) using things on the phone like the browser, texting, phone calls without constant charging. Do you guys have any suggestions or anything to help me make it so I can actually spend my trip using my phone to its potential and going on youtube and facebook and things like that without worrying constantly about my battery? I don't think I have a faulty battery. I was told these phones typically have a "calibration" period so I have yet to charge my battery without it completely dieing to make sure I am using it completely to help with that.

Please anything will help.
Thank you.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
The phone was meant to be connected to the charger except when it's in your pocket.
Can't usb it to a PC?

Start by turning off things that sync in the background.
Turn off GPS...WiFi.

You are carrying what is in essence a small computer/pad device.

Four to six hours with heavy use is...wait for it, not bad.
The global also has "features" the others don't, more battery suckage.
You can get spare batteries for cheap, charge them and bring a few with you?

OP
V

vkw619

Reaction score
The phone was meant to be connected to the charger except when it's in your pocket.
Can't usb it to a PC?

Start by turning off things that sync in the background.
Turn off GPS...WiFi.

You are carrying what is in essence a small computer/pad device.

Four to six hours with heavy use is...wait for it, not bad.
The global also has "features" the others don't, more battery suckage.
You can get spare batteries for cheap, charge them and bring a few with you?

Well I guess I'll respond and add that I have turned off GPS, Bluetooth, WI-FI. Everything. Its all off. I turned it off of Global as well. This trip is a school trip so I will be on a bus. And why on earth would it have to be constantly connected to a charger? That seems to be a bit much doesn't it?

Are you telling me the Global basically sucks for battery?

sa1

Reaction score
Definitely agree with AngryHatter here. I get the same amount of life with that much use. Not really anything you can do besides get a spare battery or the extended one. I got two spare batteries from ebay for $4.50 a piece inc. shipping. Just be careful that the seller explicitly states it is an OEM battery. Also, from what I understand, fully discharging these lithium batteries all the time isn't good for them. Charging them as often as possible is.
Ex. down to 70%, recharge fully if you're at home or whatever.

Narouspk

Reaction score
I added juice defender and that started giving me 15-25% more juice. Killed most of the apps running in the background. Easy do so is by checking the battery manager to see what is draining the battery most of if you can kill them then do so. Try setting your display time out to 15 secs and also set the in-pocket detection on. I play about 40-60mins of poker and the rest of the day is about 60mins talk and surfing time. I still end up with 20-30% left. I wish I can do more and still have some more juice.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
There are a few things you can do to get longer battery life no matter the phone. Some will require sacraficing "up to the minute" updating, so be prepared...

1) Set your screen brightness to either Auto or to the lowest setting that is confortable to your eyes. These screens are the biggest battery killers, even if its a 3.5" screen.

2) Turn off the WiFi if you are not going to be in constant contact with the signal. 3G will eat battery like a demon, but its better than having the wifi searching for signal every 15 minutes at the same time. Conversly, if you are in a good wifi area, connect to it as often as you can because it uses less battery when it is connected.

3) Set as many of your Social Widgets to the longest delay in updating, or to Manual. Surely you dont need your FaceBook updating every 15 minutes, nor your weather, RSS Feed and E-mail accounts. You can also set these to only "sync" on wifi to help even more.

4) If YouTube is a must, then be prepared to sacrafice elsewhere as anything using the internet and video playback is going to suck the battery fairly quickly if you are on 3G and have poor signal.

5) Lastly, and this one will suck the most..flip the phone into Airplane Mode anytime you arent using it for anything phone/data necessary such as playing Angry Birds.

Bear in mind that you are wanting 15 hours of use out of a "smartphone", and you want to use it heavily..that is really a pipedream. Normally, 10-12 hours of use is legitimate for "normal everyday" use..you are wanting "moderate to heavy" use, which cuts that down anywhere from 20-40%...and thats on a standard stock battery. You need to invest in an Extended Life Battery...

Hope this helps...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

kptphalkon

Reaction score
6 hours of continous use is normal. These arent phones, they're small netbooks with phone hardware in 'em. I can see you're a knowledgeable person, and you've done pretty much everything someone could tell you to keep your drain as low as possible.

Extra batteries are your only option Im afraid :/ I'm barely hitting 9 hours of unplugged time after getting off a 5 hour workshift and Im at 25%, WITH a custom rom and the extended battery.