1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help with Black / Blank Screen (even when in Clockwork)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Grmarco, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Grmarco

Grmarco New Member

Hello all,

I am at a loss so I am begging for help from the pros...

My situation is this:
    I have a Droid 1 rooted running Project Elite 5.0.2, with the "stock" kernel that is in the rom.

This is my second Droid, and is a refurb. from Verizon.

I unrooted my old sent back and rerooted the "new" one using super one click.
    Everything was fine for about one week. I was running bugless at the time, but heard good things about PE, so I thought I would try. I love the rom, but still want to try others.

Then I started having this issue.

Whenever I reboot, I get a "black/blank" screen. It looks like nothing is going on, but the phone is actually booting. Once it is done booting , it will light the hard keys and the screen will flicker, but not turn on. If I hit the sleep button at that time the screen will turn on and I can catch the end of the boot animation. Then it finishes and everything is as it should be.

At first I thought it was only when I would reboot normally. And I thought it wasn't booting into recovery, that it was "boot looping" and not going in, because I couldn't see the M logo or the clockwork recovery, so I would pull the battery to reboot as stated above. After trial and error, I noticed it actually does go into clockwork, but the blank or black screen stays up the whole time (no matter how long I let it sit). I know it is in clockwork because if I press in the camera button, it will reboot (back to the blank/black screen) and then back to normal.

I feel like it is a hardware /screen issue. But I can't be sure.

In the past I could try twenty or thirty times and sometimes get a "normal boot", either into recovery or not. Sometimes it would even work three or four times in a row, so I could do a backup or a cache wipe...or even flash a new update or rom, etc....

But now, for the last three weeks, I can't get it to work at all. After hundreds of times (and every different method of getting into recovery, x and power, terminal, and clockwork), not once does the screen light / show the normal rebooting screen or clockwork menu.

Please help.

I am stuck, because I can't do anything to even try to undo / unroot, return or go to Verizon because I can't unroot or wipe, etc.

Thanks, any advice would be appreciated.

Tony
  2. Grmarco

Grmarco New Member

Thanks for looking. Anyone with a suggestion?

Tony
  3. ajla66

ajla66 New Member

Maybe SBF it?
  4. Grmarco

Grmarco New Member

Thanks. Tried that. No difference.

T
  5. instinct88

instinct88 New Member

Solution 1

I too had this problem. To fix it I inserted a spare battery. Not sure why but this fixed it. I saw the Motorola logo and everything booted up normally.
  6. Grmarco

Grmarco New Member

Thanks foor the suggestion. I just ordered a spare from ebay. Worth a try. Will keep you post
  7. Grmarco

Grmarco New Member

Got the battery. No dice. Same thing. O well, this is not longer an issue.....
    I just went and bought a Thunderbolt. Maybe someday I'll figure it out. My son is using the phone for now, so I will still have time to play with it. Thanks for the suggestions.

T