1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Help with .apk files

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by blake2050, Jan 8, 2010.

1. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Ok so I have taken some .apk files that i wanted to modify and renamed them to .zip so I could extract the info. My question is once I have modded the file and put it all back together in .zip format, how do I convert .zip back to .apk?? Also once I do convert back to .apk can I just adb push the new file.apk to the specific location, or will I need to use sync and reboot and all that? Thanks!!
  2. AWB

AWB New Member

You should be able to just rename the .zip file .apk and you should be able to push the file to most anywhere. However for navigating file paths the SD card may be the easiest place to put them.
  3. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

ok so my only problem is that when I try to rename the file to .apk it just keeps it in zip format giving me file.apk.zip is this because im running XP? Plus, although i rooted my phone and have the Super user permissions I am not really sure how to use it and access the sd card. The apk I modded was framework-res so I am pretty sure it has to go back into /system/framework, right??
  4. AWB

AWB New Member

As far as the problem with renaming the file type to .apk I'm stumped. You should just be able to take .zip out of the name and leave it as .apk. Next after renaming put the framework on the root or top level of your SD card. Then unmount the SD card from your computer (unmount on PC first then from cell phone). Then open command prompt and access adb shell. Then enter the following code:

su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    busybox cp -R /sdcard/framework-res.apk /system/framework
    reboot

This should be everything you need. If you do not have adb or do not understand it read this guide http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/6865-how-use-adb-all-commands-options.html

Next if you do not have busybox installed follow the guide in this link (a different way for loading the framework-res.apk is provided here as well). http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...covery-framework-res-apk-custom-boot-ani.html
  5. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

well this might sound stupid to you but how would I get to the sd card root or top level? Like I said I have the superuser permissions app thing but it is always just a blank page when I open it. should I mount my phone and then turn this app on or something? I will install busybox now. Thanks for the help...
  6. blue rocket

blue rocket Official Site Vendor Premium Member

i tried to do this will beautiful widgets (change the graphics) and every time i try to install my new modded apk it says that it did not install. For the life of me i can't figure out what changes besides the pngs that would cause the install to fail.
  7. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

Open a folder on your PC...Tools...Folder Options...View tab...uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types"...Apply

That will allow you to get rid of the .zip on the end.
  8. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

Once you modify an apk, you need to resign the apk...you should be able to Google "resign android apk" for more information.
  9. AWB

AWB New Member

Plug the phone into your PC. Then open the notifications bar and select the option to mount the SD card. Then it becomes a drive on the PC.
  10. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

ok thanks! another quick noob question. I am trying to install busybox but when it comes time for me to enter this code:
    everytime I type in a line and hit enter it just copies what I wrote. Do I need to write all the code at once then hit enter or what?
  11. blue rocket

eh, looks like a lot of effort.

if i posted up the modified APK would someone be able to resign it. More or less its the latest version of beautiful widges (with htc clock) but i changed the flip pages to be black and the numbers to be white (and the new droid font).

i'll up it if someone can do that for me.
  12. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

Ok yea I knew how to do that, I just wasnt sure if the root part of the sd card had to do anything with rooting your phone or not.. Thx again..
  13. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

So you want someone else to put in the effort for you?
  14. AWB

AWB New Member

Nope everythin is fine. It should do that to tell you the syntax worked. Otherwise you get an error.
  15. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

well crap after I typed in reboot I closed cmd. How will I know if all of what I did worked?
  16. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

oh wow, i just figured it out, haha. i didnt know that after you type in su you have to hit "allow" on the phone. my bad. one thing I noticed though is when I did the busybox --install it just came back with a bunch of "No such file or directoy".. is that normal?
  17. Finnstang

Finnstang New Member

no...did you remember the period at the end of that install command?
  18. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

oh man. no i didn't use the period. should I redo the whole thing, or just that part of the code? Is that a bad thing? After I did that I used the code you gave me for the framework-res.apk and it seemed to do that just fine. Everything I changed in the apk file uploaded to my phone.
  19. blue rocket

for someone that knows what they are doing it shouldnt be much effort. plus you'll get a one of a kind beautiful widget clock!
  20. blake2050

blake2050 New Member

ok this is the code I just ran, and it seemed to work just fine.
    thanks for all the help guys! Last thing, should I do the Flash/Recovery image stuff also??
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
Search tags for this page
apk to asec converter
asec to apk
asec to apk converter
convert .asec to .apk

convert apk to asec

convert asec to apk

convert zip to apk
convert zip to apk file
how to change zip file to apk
how to convert a .asec file to a .apk file