Help with Anti-virus apps

pcolevr

Reaction score
I am one of the "lucky" people who's phone is a very high tech paperweight since the 2.2 update. However, as I am waiting for my fourth "like new" replacement, I have actually made some progress with some of the problems by methoidcally removing apps and examining the results.

The last time I was at Verizon about my problems, the Tech Support guy installed ANTIVIRUS (by Droid Security), LOOKOUT (by Lookout Mobile Security) and ADVANCED TASK KILLER.

I removed the task killer after reading all the contraversy surrounding it and the removal has helped. Now I'm measuring the merits of having two anti-virus/backup applications, as it seems they both demand a lot of battery.

Are there really any differences between what services Lookout and Antivirus perform and if I keep only one, which app do you educated readers of this forum prefer? I'm trying to get my phone back to the bare bones as far as apps cause as I said earlier, I am waiting for my FOURTH replacement Droid since the update due to non-existent battery life, freezing screens, on and on.........

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The last time I was at Verizon about my problems, the Tech Support guy installed ANTIVIRUS (by Droid Security), LOOKOUT (by Lookout Mobile Security) and ADVANCED TASK KILLER.

not needed, not needed, and not needed. delete them. stop killing ur battery.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I bump what Abe said, as most on the Forum probably will, uninstall the Task Killer

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Uninstall the AV apps too...I agree with Abe & tparker...

Sent from my Droid X

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The tech who suggested and told you to download those apps is the reason you are experiencing "non-existent battery life, freezing screens, on and on........."

Lookout is questionable but the AV and task killers together are a sure death for any Android device.

harrellj

Reaction score
Agree with everyone else, get rid of 'em all. For one thing... what virus are you protecting your phone from? I know some people suggest to keep them to protect the SD card from transferring a virus around, but thats also nonsense. The phone can't touch the card while its mounted to a computer and if there is an infected file on the card, it does nothing to the phone. It does affect the computers attached, but they should be running their own AV anyways.

OP
pcolevr

pcolevr

Reaction score
Thanks so much Guys and Gals!

I already knew that Task Killer was bad news, but wasn't sure about the AntiVirus and Lookout. They have both been removed and I will see what happens to my battery - I'm hoping for good things!

My 4th replacement phone arrived yesterday, but I am not going to make the switch until I see how my recent app jockeying has affected my current device. I know already that its jumping between screens super fast where before I was having a H-U-G-E lag time.

What amazes me is these 3 apps were installed on my phone while in the Verizon techs posession - installing a new battery - I was not consulted about this. After I removed Task Killer, I was once again at Verizon complaining and the new and different tech took my phone and when I asked what she was doing, she told me she was installing Task Killer for me. I yelled "No" and scared her to death - she literally flinched.

Verizon needs to get the word out to their people not to make things much worse by installing these troublesome apps on customers phones without their prior knowledge or consent.

Thanks again.

jackals

Reaction score
I like having the task killer incase i have to manual close something... but I have it disabled and on low security... this isn't wasting battery still is it? Its not closing / exiting apps at all.. just there incase i need it.

SID KELLY

Reaction score
What I like about 'antivirus' is the lockscreen says 'This phone belongs to (gives my company name and phone number) is there any way to do that w/o the 'antivirus'??

OP
pcolevr

pcolevr

Reaction score
What I like about 'antivirus' is the lockscreen says 'This phone belongs to (gives my company name and phone number) is there any way to do that w/o the 'antivirus'??
@ Sid Kelly - I totally agree with you - I miss having the banner that came with the anti virus. I used mine for name and an alternate phone number plus "REWARD IF RETURNED". It would be nice to have a way to replicate that without something killing your battery.

UPDATE: Took off charger at 11:00 AM and now at 4:36, still have 90% battery. That's 5.5 hours and during that time before removing the 3 monster apps, I would have re-charged twice!

yurdle

Reaction score
Agree with all above lol remove them... Not needed

jackals

Reaction score
anyone able to tell me if I am safe.. I have atk on my phone however it is disabled not running, use it to manually close an app if it gives a problem -- is this causing a drain just being on my phone not running??

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
anyone able to tell me if I am safe.. I have atk on my phone however it is disabled not running, use it to manually close an app if it gives a problem -- is this causing a drain just being on my phone not running??

thats fine, just know you can do teh same thing in settings (force stopping apps)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had Lookout for some time, but uninstalled recently after comments on this forum. It does do more than anti virus. It'll backup and find your phone, but there are many apps that'll do those.

I deleted it because it would scan an app after it was installed, not before. I also felt that if it was really looking for viruses, shouldn't the app be constantly updating to combat new ones? No updates and as there isn't any viruses what's it doing?

It sent me a weekly email telling what was happening. I'd get something like:

August 16
wall.png
Lookout handled 1 security event.
monitor.png
Virus scan completed: Files scanned: 198. Infected files found: 0. Files quarantined: 0.

but it wouldn't tell me what that "security event" was.

mushroomonastik

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Being a newbie, I had a killer and av. Just removed them both. Really gonna miss av banner tho.