Help with Android OS

fresh_mode

Reaction score
I installed the Android 2.1 update back in January, and I've been having problems from the first day that I never experienced with 2.0

I just want to know the easiest, fastest way to downgrade, I suppose, to 2.0
I quickly discovered I'm not smart enough for the app development game

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Have to get rsdlite and flash the sbf for 2.0 or 2.0.1 or the official 2.1 ese81 if you updated back in january you probably have ere25 or ese53.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
F

fresh_mode

Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to need the walkthrough you'd provide an 80 year old lady for this. I'd really prefer not to brick my Droid.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I installed the Android 2.1 update back in January, and I've been having problems from the first day that I never experienced with 2.0

I just want to know the easiest, fastest way to downgrade, I suppose, to 2.0
I quickly discovered I'm not smart enough for the app development game

There was a 2.01 update in December and then near the end of March Android 2.1 was released. There was nothing for 2.1 released in January.

If you downgrade and remain stock the OTA (over the air) upgrade will come along and upgrade your phone. It will ask you if you want to upgrade but if you say no it will upgrade the next time the phone reboots. Then, you will be right where you are now, on 2.1 again.

What are the problems you are experiencing? And if the phone is stock and not working a quick stop at the nearest Verizon store might resolve those issues too.

You didn't say...but are you on a stock phone now? Have you ever rooted your phone?

OP
F

fresh_mode

Reaction score
The Firmware Version listed in my Phone Info says 2.1, and I know I've never been asked to upgrade, but anyway, yes, I am using a stock phone.

And the problems are mainly with the home screen. When I unlock the phone, sometimes it will only display my background image, and no icons will show up. If I press the home button, they will show up, but I have to slide the keyboard out to be able to actually open any applications. It doesn't happen all the time, but just enough that it's annoying and I'd like to fix it.

OP
F

fresh_mode

Reaction score
Well, I'm actually not sure what "stock" means in this context. Or root for that matter.
After this is resolved, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to perform OTA updates.

forkup

Reaction score
Oh? It sound to me like the ota is what got you where you are now...

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Check the build number. And if you had the OTA firmware would be 2.1 update-1.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well, I'm actually not sure what "stock" means in this context. Or root for that matter.
After this is resolved, I'm pretty sure I'm only going to perform OTA updates.

A stock phone would be a phone that came from the store and was unaltered by you. It sounds like this is what you have.

A rooted phone is one that had had its operating system replaced so that you have administrator access to all the files, meaning you can replace or edit any of them. A stock phone has this locked down. Sort of like at some workplaces you can't install whatever you want on a computer the Droid phone comes default, or stock, with a regular user account and not one with admin, or root, access.

A rooted phone lets you theme the phone more, lets you overclock the CPU, use wifi-tethering where your laptop can connect to the internet through your phone's cell-tower connection, and lets you do some other things too. Rooting your phone also voids your phone's warranty.

There have been cases where something is wrong with the phone. I bought my phone in November and had to return it in January because it wasn't functioning correctly. It sounds like this may be the case with yours, which is why I suggested stopping by a Verizon store if what is occurring is easily reproducible.

Disappearing icons:
There are a couple of threads here where folks have had the same problem with the background showing up but no icons. I replaced my icons when it first happened and then a day later I had them doubled up. I'd delete an icon and another one was underneath. Not always the exact same ones as I didn't replace the missing ones in the exact same place. It probably happened to me 3-4 times in less than a month. A Verizon rep told me they thought it was due to the background showing up on top of the icons instead of the reverse and it being due to the "wrong" type of wallpaper. A reboot always fixed it for me. I do not know what fixed it for good for me but I haven't had the issue for a few months now. I have rooted my phone so all my previous settings have been wiped and replaced.

So here are my suggestions...put off rooting for now:

1) replace your wallpaper with one of the default ones and see if the problem goes away. This would be the easiest less intrusive option.

2) Use ASTRO to back up your installed apps to your sdcard. And then reset your phone. Settings - Privacy Settings - Factory Data Reset.

Option 2 means when you power on your phone again you will have to enter your gmail userid and password. This will resync your phone. You then can download Astro from the market again and use it to reinstall your apps from your sdcard. Some of the data in your apps may need to be re-entered. Txt messages probably will be gone. Verizon can do this reset for you in one of their stores, over the phone, or you can do it yourself.

The icons not displaying on the desktop issue won't be a hardware one, so Verizon probably won't swap the phone out for a new one, and if they did your settings would be gone anyways.

As for the update it probably got downloaded to your phone and installed without you knowing it, although I'm curious what happened in January to make you think you got an update then.

Let us know how you make out.